Hurricane Police Handlebar Kit. Fully Installed

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by vfrgiving, Apr 2, 2021.

1. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

Hi, just seeing this now. I don't have a 6th gen so my answers are anecdotal at best.

Seek clarification from Webike about which kit would work for you. From what I saw of 6th gen kits there were variances based on ABS or not.

I don't seen any advantages to going with Earl's aluminum hoses, as stated in my video. Maybe there's weight savings? The VFR is already a heavy bike and if you're looking at this kit to begin with it's probably not seeing track days. Any aftermarket hose kits I would order for any bike would be braided stainless.

If the linked brakes on the 6th gens are like the 5th, yes the one line from the master cylinder makes a Y and splits off. With the Hurrcane kit the double banjo is installed at the master cylinder, and two lines are ran to left and right.

The NISSIN front calipers on my 5th gen have two bleed ports, one for the front circuit pistons off the lever, and another bleed for the rear circuit activated by the foot pedal. There's no need to bleed the rear circuit when installing this kit. Check the 6th gen service manual to identify the front circuit bleed ports.

2. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    I find the conversion kit one of the best mods I have done to my 5th gen so comfortable

3. Billy Jack

Billy Jack New Member

I think I’d like the kit with the lower bars, I’d like to hear from someone who has installed them.
    E9B13D0B-A444-44F2-945E-40EFE23CD352.jpeg

Still have the vfr but answered the handlebar question with this.

ECD3C4C1-6ECD-4152-B101-F9297869BDF7.jpeg

4. Cherryriver

Cherryriver New Member

United States
    It's been a while since I did the handlbar conversion on my 6th gen. The 5th gen job was easy, with the electrical cables being made so long in the first place. That bike came with Galfer lines which I was able to re-route just fine. All I needed was a set of custom extra-length Motion Pro throttle cables.
    I've used Motion Pro for this sort of thing numerous times with excellent results. Picture a ZX-9R with pipe bars...
    As for my 6th gen bike, that was a bit harder because I ran out of electrical cable length and couldn't go quite as high as my old and damaged neck wanted. Still, I stretched things out enough to make it usable.
    The throttle cables were a problem, and I had a time problem back then: we were transporting this and the Missus' 650R to Florida for permanent stationing at her sister's house. So I cancelled the Motion Pro order and did a hokey-but-workable re-route of the existing throttle cables that has stood up for 3000 miles. I saw a YouTube vid where the guy ran the cables aft of the steering stem. I didn't cotton to the idea of that, but sure enough, it works just fine and has presented no safety qualms at all.
    I wound up with a set of old Heli Multi-Tour Sport bars on the bike swiped off a ZZR1200. Love those MTSs, have them on several bikes over the years.

5. complex.technician

complex.technician New Member

United States

Let me say this first ... I am not endorsed by either company I will mention below.

I simply ride a Honda VFR; I like these products; and I want to share my personal experience with these things.
    I have the WebikeJapan Hurricane HBK606A handlebar kit on my 5th Gen VFR.
    ⁠It was an easy job that took less than one hour, with just a few basic hand tools (screwdrivers & 6mm hex key).
    ⁠Remove the old clip-ons, install the new setup, adjust to your liking, go ride.
    ⁠No extra cables needed. No cables were moved, removed, or re-routed. (DISCLAIMER: This does not apply to all handlebar kits sold on their website. They will note on each setup if extra cables are needed or not. Please check their website for exact details.)
    I have had my setup for about 25,000 miles. I prefer it over OEM clip-on setup.
    I've done 12-hour days on my VFR, and I have zero issues with back or wrist pain/discomfort.

⁠As noted on their website:

⁠All cables and hoses can be installed without modification
    ⁠Processed handlebar switch holes
    ⁠Position 60mm up, 50mm back

5th Gen VFR – HBK606A – https://www.japan-webike.ie/products/2076546.html

⁠Since I have the WebikeJapan Hurricane HBK606A handlebar kit on my 5th Gen VFR, I had to find some aftermarket bar ends.
    The OEM bar ends weights do not work with the handlebars.
    I found these HVMP weights, and they are F’n awesome, folks!
    If anyone is looking for some 14mm “universal” bar ends weights … look no further!!

One thing I did on dirt bikes years ago that I should have done on my VFR ... fill the handlebars with BBs ... like for a BB/pellet rifle.
    That helps reduce vibration in the handlebars/hands because the BBs absorb a lot of that.

http://www.hvmp.com/14mmUniversal-s/46.htm

6. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

If I was looking for a no cable swap kit, the standard Hurricane kit would be at the top of the list. It shaves a few more degrees towards upright seating over Helibars based on the claimed rise and back.

7. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    No cable swap for VF1000F bars as well just a slight re route for the throttle cable

8. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

Just a little update. I said earlier that the Honda OEM inner weights will fit, but it's a headache. I don't recommend it, and I didn't even try on the second install to be honest. I've been running that VFR with just bar ends. I got around to measuring the inside diameter of the handlebar and it's around 18mm. I found some balance weights from Hurricane's catalog and ordered them. HB0375. Outside diameter of 17.8mm, for bars with inside diameter of 18-19mm, like our VFR police kit here. They install with way less effort than trying to stuff the Honda balance weights back in. The Hurricane weights are only like $15, but you'd want to order them with a kit or numerous other items to make it worth your while. That shipping is expensive.

hb0375.jpg

My intent was to stuff the HB0375 in the bar, and just cap it back off with the universal bar ends I already had. I made a bit of a goof here. Sticking the weight in, followed by the whole bar end assembly shoved the weight right up against the controls peg that pokes through the drill hole in the bar. There wasn't enough room left for the bar end.

Looking back through webike's catalog I saw numerous examples of Hurricane pairing bar ends with inner balance weights as one assembly, so that's what I did. The weights were here so might as well use the ones I got. I went to the local hardware store and got longer M5 x .80 cap screw bolts. I then combined the bar end I had with the hurricane weight, tossing the bar end's rubber and bolt.

apart.jpg
    weight+end.jpg insert.jpg

If you're looking for an already together weight+bar end combo, try looking through Hurricane's bar ends here: https://japan.webike.net/bm/pl/Bar+Ends/1039/p.b=304/

9. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    Can`t recall having any major issues with the original ones .. nothing that WD 40 couldn`t handle :)

10. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

I posted this in the 6th gen forum, but I'll also update this thread. Here's a 6th gen with the kit installed.

11. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I believe I'll update this thread, since I wasn't really aware of it before, rather than continue with a different, but very similar
    thread.

I've ordered the Hurricane Police kit, with the extra choke cable since this is for the '99. Not sure when it will get here, but will
    try to update as I progress along...assuming there is progress. :)

I'm down to about 165 lbs. from around 190 lbs., when I installed the front springs. So I'm thinking some lighter springs and
    maybe a damper update. I know there's some good parts available to improve the front end ride. I have to do a bunch of work
    in the area so I thought I'd go ahead and respring and revalve the front end if it would be a good idea. Advice would be appreciated
    in this area.

I rode most of the Coronado Trail last fall, and the rough part of that road really beat me up, which is the reason for the change to
    a more upright seating position. I no longer try to drag the pegs, and my pace is much slower than in yesteryear. Getting old sure
    isn't for sissies. :)

I've already gotten a lot of good advice from Vfrgiving, but if anyone wants to chime in with anything I'm more than willing to listen.
    I've worked on bikes for over 55 years, and worked in a bike shop for a while too, so I think I can get this done with no screw-ups,
    or no major ones anyway. :)

TIA

Howard

12. speed-

speed- New Member

United Kingdom
    HI I have the same kit fitted for a while now It is very comfortable ( Sargent seat and lower foot pegs make a big difference too ) just take your time nothing complicated the longer choke cable is a bit of a faff but I used the original cable to pull the new one through

Speed

13. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks Speed. All help and hints fully appreciated.

Howard

14. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

There is a bit of prep work you can do while you wait for the kit to arrive. Make sure you have new DOT 4 on hand for the hose change out and some sort of bleed assist tool. You can go ahead and make yourself an extension cable for the horn wiring. Everything needed you should be able to find at the local auto parts store. Wiring, heat shrink, crimp on male spade terminals for the bike's harness side, female flag terminals for the horn connection. 10 inches should be plenty. As mentioned in the first post, the Honda VFR bar ends will not fit in the Hurricane handlebar. So you'll want to source a bar end that will fit if you haven't already. Any universal bar end should work fine, like this: https://www.cyclegear.com/parts/speedmetal-knurled-bar-ends?sku_id=1128002

If you don't feel like fighting with the choke cable, pulling the airbox completely isn't a bad option. Once out of the way the choke cable is laying right there.

15. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I have the Vibranators instead of the OEM weights, so I wonder if those will fit. I hope so, but we'll see. They work so well,
    I'd hate to lose them.

16. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    I wonder what spring rate to get for the front shocks for my 165 lbs. I think I have the Racecrafter .99 springs...I think.

17. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

I'm not familiar with the Vibranators, but the ID of the Hurricane bar is around 18.15mm when measured with my digital calipers. Helibars are 18.75mm.

18. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    They were a loose fit in the Helibars, so may be able to turn down 0.023" off the diameter. One of those things to hope for.

And just got a notification that the extended length choke cable is discontinued and no longer available. I imagine I can fab up a work around. I never really used the choke, excuse me "enrichener", any to speak of, so no biggie.

Howard

19. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

That's not good news, and must be a recent development. I ordered and received one a few months ago. I wonder what the reason is. I don't see why a manufacturer that does their own cables would be suddenly unable to continue to produce a choke cable? Hurricane still has the item in their online catalog, https://www.hurricane-web.jp/product/?bikew=HB6056 and the main page for the handlebar kit still mentions it. Hopefully they aren't phasing out the 1998-2001 kits altogether. I think the only other 5th gen specific part in the kit is the throttle cables (HB6055).

The handlebar is also used in the 6th gen kits. The 41mm under brackets and mounting blocks for the bar are generic offerings from their catalog. The hoses are just length based part numbers. Maybe Motion Pro could produce a longer one? https://www.motionpro.com/c/custom-cables

20. vfrgiving

vfrgiving New Member

I thought of a crude workaround using the stock choke cable if there are no other options. Take the handlebar side of the cable and mount it somewhere inconspicuous elsewhere on the motorcycle. That end is threaded and already has one hex nut on it. Grab a second hex nut of the same thread pitch so the two can sandwich the cable end through whatever mounting surface is chosen. I would try and fab up a small metal bracket and mount it somewhere. The last resort would be to put a hole somewhere in the bodywork and mount it there. Tie off a little loop or ring behind the cable's end to aid in pulling it.