I dropped my bike the first day I took it out.

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by VFRhonda, Mar 30, 2012.

1. VFRhonda

VFRhonda New Member

I dropped my bike at a stop sign on a fairly steep incline. It was the fist time I really rode a motorcycle. I probably shouldn't have brought it to the part of town where hills are abundant but I shit happens. Now I'm planning on buying the parts online and replacing them myself. I just need a good website that sells parts for my 6th gen 08 and if anyone would be so kind and tell me what all these parts are called.:redface:

Attached Files:

2. michaels214

michaels214 New Member

Map
    foot peg, brake lever? Sorry for what happened. I just had my tail light smashed by my neighbor by accident. He bought me a new one and I found the best deal on ebay. It was an OEM part at a good price. Maybe look there and see if theres any OEM parts. During my search I also looked on bikebandit.com, hondapartsline.com, ronayers.com..I found all these sites by searching the part in google. Good luck..Im sure other, more experienced guys on here will be more of a help.

3. VFRhonda

VFRhonda New Member

Those sites are pretty helpful thank you. I'm still trying to figure out what the part is called that is outlined in yellow. 2012-03-30 10.57.02.jpg

4. Bryan88

Bryan88 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

South Africa
    Map
    I THINK that is commonly referred to as the rearset. Sorry you dropped her, it's always heartbreaking.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Many parts have parts numbers which should be indicated on the shop drawings of the various assemblies as seen on the websites.

You might try pulling the assembly apart and see if that crack can be welded.

Do yourself a favor and take one of the motorcycle safety/riding courses before you kill yourself or if that doesn't work, somebody here will give your heirs a few bucks for your bike for it's parts.

6. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  7. soloii-74

soloii-74 New Member

United States
    Map
    Echoing what Badbilly said.... The bike can be fixed - especially after a minor event like this.

Take at least one rider course (by the MSF - Motorcycle Safety Foundation) Here is the link: Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I would recommend the BRC - "Basic RiderCourse (BRC) -
    The best place for a new rider to start once they've made the decision to ride. Successful completion of this course and its knowledge and skill tests, which consists of approximately five hours of classroom and 10 hours of on-cycle instruction (conducted over two or three sessions), may serve as a license test waiver program in some states. Motorcycles and helmets are provided for your use during the course. Also, a course completion card may provide a rider an insurance discount. (In some states, this course may lead to only a motorcycle permit and require completion of the BRC2 to obtain full licensure.)"

I have been riding for years, and every time I have taken the Experienced Rider Course, I have learned something valuable. I plan on taking the Advanced Rider Course soon.

Almost every motorcycle has way more capability than the majority of riders do - most riders aren't Freddy Spencer. The bike has the capability to carve corners, stop, accelerate, etc., as well as the capability to kill or maim you - or even worse - somebody else.

My 07 is the strongest performing motorcycle I have ever owned. Even if I work at it I will never ride it to the level it is capable of achieving - it would scare my wife if I really tried :wink:

Good luck with fixing your VFR, and more importantly take the time and money to take that rider course and invest in good riding gear to go with the bike. The gear will protect your skin and skull and brain from the minor accidents that can kill or maim an unprotected rider.

8. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

Sorry to hear about your mishap. I agree with the other guys: go and do a riding course. It could save you a lot of pain and a lot of money.

I recommend that you try and buy folding brake/gear pedals, if possible. Their advantage is that you can drop the bike with them snapping off at the ends.

9. Rollin_Again

Rollin_Again Member

United States
    Sorry to beat you up but you have no business riding a bike like that for your first motorcycle experience. These bikes are heavy and awkward for new riders and there are much much better choices of bikes to learn on. That being said I would only replace the parts that are absolutely necessary and leave the pure cosmetic issues alone since you'll probably drop it again based on your riding experience. Don't worry about how you or your bike look, focus on learning to ride safely which include wearing full protective gear and obtaining proper training. New riders have an obligation to learn to ride safely since both their lives and the lives of others on the road are at stake. It takes just one sudden unexpected situation like an animal running out in front of you, hitting a bird, or encountering debris in the roadway to set off a chain of disastrous events. Add to that all the idiots on the roads talking on their cells, texting, etc. while driving and you have a you have a real recipe for disaster.

Rollin

10. Rainbow7

Rainbow7 New Member

I have to agree with Rollin on that. - There are probably more suitable bikes to learn on. But, hey, I know guys who bought a Hayabusa as their first bike, so...

11. chickunfut

chickunfut New Member

Friend of mine bought a Ducati 848 EVO for his first bike ever!!
    We bullied him into taking the basic riders course before we would ever ride with him. Whenever he goes with us we always ride a little slower and more cautious to help him out. Luckily he hasn't dropped the bike or crashed it, hell he hasn't even dropped it in the garage yet.. He's a pretty intelligent dude, so that helps.
    Ducati parts are not much more than VFR parts!!!

12. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    Welcome to the nuts house........I will help you by keeping the bike for you until you ready :)

13. VFRhonda

VFRhonda New Member

14. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
  15. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Just so that we can emphasize the point, I'll say it again: Take a rider course, and make sure you wear gear.

The VFR is a heavy girl, especially for a first timer such as yourself. But don't let that deter you - instead, learn to respect that weight, and it will make you that much more cognizant when your in those low speed maneuvers or stop and go traffic. When you got 500+lbs sitting underneath you, and your sitting at a stop light, Newton's laws of motion will prevail.

16. ryebread5if

ryebread5if New Member

United States
    Map
    +1 on taking a riders course. I took the course and spilled my first time out but I knew EXACTLY what I did wrong. No one to blame but myself. To this day I'm still using the skills (and acronyms) I learned in the basic course. I'm considering taking the Intermediate course to learn even more. I've heard that a track training course bumps your skill level up even more.

Don't know what I'd say about a starter bike: mine was a 1983 Honda CB1100F. 600 pounds of power-cruising pleasure. If you remember your training, no bike should be too unruly.

17. DaHose

DaHose New Member

United States
    Map
    When I bought my 2000, it had been dropped on the right side too. I bent the brake pedal back very slowly and carefully. It works just fine now.

As to the bracket, I imagine the new part is pretty expensive, so I agree with welding it. I bet a local shop could do it for less than $100. A quick bead blast and some silver paint will have it back in service right quick, or just sand and paint when it comes back from the welder.

Take some training courses and consider a track school next year. It is a SPORT tourer after all.

Welcome to "The World".

Jose

18. gwcrim

gwcrim New Member

The first time in my driveway on my new Electra Glide and it went over. Ya know that special technique to upright a bike? HA, not with a 900 pound pig! It's pretty much a two person job.

19. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    3,473.5 cumulative years of riding experience here and this dude:

Drops his bike on a hill because he doesn't know how to ride.

Breaks some shit and doesn't know what it is he broke or how to fix it.

Wants to take a torch to a chunk of unknown metal.

Dismisses any attempt to learn to ride by not taking a course on a smaller bike.

Probably doesn't believe in helmets or shoes either.

Will we see him in Moto GP or WSB? Naaa!

20. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    Don't try and bend the brake pedal back. You'll probably break it before you bend it.

While some smaller bikes are better to learn on like a 500 ninja or the 250 rebles the safety courses sometimes use you may not have a choice. The CBR 600 is a smaller lighter bike but it would be more than a handful for a brand new rider than the VFR.

Yes...the VFRis a heavy bike. But it is a very forgiving machine. Get the parts, get some gear and safety/riding course. Not in place of a safety/riding course...pick up a book. Title is Total Control by Lee Parks. Read it. It will give you understanding of what is going on out there. It will be a reference for you that you will find yourself going back to again and again.

Then get out and ride the damn thing.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012