I hate my Fifth gen

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by rmcdougal, Feb 3, 2014.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    If their decisions in life have led to driving a taxi, well then I beg to differ. :)

2. cinelliguy

cinelliguy New Member

Map
    I think this thread and the "hate harley davidson" are at this point...pointless.

3. 577nitroexpress

577nitroexpress New Member

United States
    I had 4th and 5th....4th was totaled by Coco-Cola...thank you very much, so I got a 5th to replace it after I healed enough to ride again. Anyways, I thought they were pretty closely matched. Now I currently have a 2nd gen, and I had to install bar risers on it to keep my arms and wrist from aching. More to your point, some bikes just don't fit, Ill agree 100% to that. I had a Ducati ST4S ABS, great handling bike, but was so uncomfortable to me that I could not ride it more than 50 miles. I hated it. I traded for a Ducati Hypermotard...loved it.. Funnest street bike to ride I've ever owned, wish the wife didn't force me to sell it due to her nearly bankrupting me :mad:

4. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    Had I seen this post sooner,(had you blocked) would have responded sooner....I paid $2200 for it, so at least that. Since I put nothing but money in it since.

5. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a 6th gen stock. 6 ft 190 lbs. I regularly ride 4 & 5 hundred mile trips with a couple breaks for fuel and to stretch. I commute close to 100 miles round trip to work daily. What kind of shape you in . Wrists hurt? Sounds like your not using abdominal and back muscles to hold yourself up but relying on your shoulders, arms and wrists. Riding is physical, like anything your body has to acclimate to conditions and the rigors you expose it to.
    I'm 51 and stay active . I have a physical job and still spar and do lite workouts. Push ups and situps are free and only take 30 minutes a day. Good luck , but its you not the bike lol :)

6. MichaelD

MichaelD New Member

United States
    Map
    Where in Ks are you.I may not be far. I might be interestsd in checking it out.

7. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    Southeast corner

8. VFR777

VFR777 New Member

Map
    I just noticed in my last ride to make it more comfortable all's I had to do was balls up to the tank made a big difference :triumphant:

9. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

You had me blocked? Why you little munchkin you..

10. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I have always ridden bikes with low, sport style bars. The VFR 5th Gen with HeliBars fit me like a glove. I had to buy a Sargent seat because the stock item was torture. I also added a throttle lock because my wrist started to ache holding the throttle. I love my VFR but to each his own. As has been stated before, life it too short to ride bikes that hurt your body. Get what you like.

11. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Exactly why i sold the coolest, quickest bike i ever owned or will own, sadly, cuz it hurt my neck so bad every ride with the bike designed to point your head too low for comfort.

Zhouse.jpg

Guess if i mostly rode a Harley i wouldn't like a VFR much cuz relaxin on a couch is more comfortable than balancing on a bar stool, ainit ? :party2:

12. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I's funny how little changes make big differences in comfort. I used to hate riding Nortons and I rode a lot of them because of my job. The seats were so thick that you were looking at the front wheel and you had to tilt your head way back to see the road. The wide bars made the position even more awkward. I purchased a gunfighter seat for my bike that dropped my butt a couple of inches and it made all the difference. I think with every bike you have to tune it to make it yours. Unlike a car a bike does not have much in the way of driver/rider adjustments. They have to be personalized. I do understand that some bikes just can't be made to fit. I can't ride a Honda Rebel with any degree of comfort.

13. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    I sat on a 2005 MV Agusta 750 once, and it musta only fit the ergonomics of whoever their top WSB riders were, cuz it doesn't fit 95% of riders. The chest/tank interface is painfully tight, and it's not a bike for big-bellied riders or any who don't fit the exact suit size they designed it for.

14. kj4eoz

kj4eoz New Member

Map
    I've never ridden a fourth generation but I can say as a owner of a 6th Gen and riding my
    Buddys 5th gen . I could ride either one all day yes my buddies 5th Gen is a little different ride then my 6th Gen
    His 5th gen is a little warmer to ride and my 6th gen feels more sport but maybe you should do what my buddy did and put risers on it . he said it makes the bike that much more comfortable ride .
    me and my buddy yesterday went to the Ducati dealer and they have a lot of respect for the Honda VFR .
    even the Ducati hardcore fans at the dealer said if they would get a Japanese motorcycle it would be a VFR .
    Yes we are looking at buying a Ducati . but I would never give up my VFR .

15. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

Bought an SV650 and I love it. All aspects are more comfortable than the vfr.

16. JimGregory

JimGregory New Member

Me too.
    Or just sell it.

17. Jeff_Barrett

Jeff_Barrett Member

Canada
    Map
    Wow ... I can't imagine ... it's way more forward and the pegs are closer to your arse. So bizarre, but all the more power to you I guess.

My 6th Gen was a little uncomfortable at first until I put Convertibars on it and starting getting shape (I was 6' and 260lbs ... I'm now 240lbs and still losing weight). I commute over 80 miles daily and ride shine or rain (unless there's lightning).

Losing weight and getting in shape physically has made the most difference on my rear end, while the convertibars helped the wrists (but posture by far was the biggest solution).

18. rmcdougal

rmcdougal New Member

Not the s model. Put a good bend on it and it's great.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

19. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    SV 650's make nice little track bikes that are cheap.

20. UJMan

UJMan New Member

The fuel-injected SV650s I rode was wayyyy less comfortable than the VFRs I've owned, but never rode the naked version. The s had higher pegs and quite a stretch to the clip-ons, not to mention a very twitchy throttle.