I thought they fixed this crap. '07 electrical crap

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by marriedman, Jul 19, 2014.

1. skimad4x4

skimad4x4 "Official" VFRWorld Greeter

France
    Map
    Bill - Something tells me you are not alone in your thoughts.. You may want to read post #48 on this thread http://vfrworld.com/forums/showthread.php/39277-How-to-fix-common-regulator-Stator-failures

I should perhaps add two observations - if you want peace of mind and decide to install an uprated RR these folks sell what you really want and Honda should have fitted in the first place! Shindengen FH020AA Mosfet Regulator/Rectifier

As for choosing equipment from Ricks, or indeed any other supplier, its always a good idea to use the search function on here. Once you get the search terms right its pretty good, and it should allow you to make your own judgements on whether stuff is VFM. So you may for instance want to read posts #34 & #35 on the same thread linked above. OK it may be they just had a bad batch or something, but I think you will find posts from others on here (and the other site) who had similar experiences. If it was my money I would go straight to the guys at Roadstercycle.com.

As a Street Triple owner it is interesting to see that different manufacturers have different approaches to the same problem. Triumph had similar problems with RRs going bad. They realised the potential image damage and launched a service recall so that as bikes came in for service with Triumph dealers the original RR's were checked and if appropriate replaced with uprated Mosfet type RRs for no charge. They did not restrict this to bikes still in warranty and did it for bikes as old as my 2008.

As for how long any fix will last, that is inherently a "how long is a piece of string" question because parts are really only designed to meet a price point and a specification. Provided they don't fail in the warranty period then the manufacturer can say not my problem, and if the cost of extra warranty repairs is less than potential savings from fitting a lower specification component then guess what happens... Another possible consideration in this is of course, that dealerships won't really complain if they see their service department kept busy with a steady stream of electrical problems to fix, and probably wont' really care who ends up paying.

Hey ho... life's like that.

SkiMad

2. NormK

NormK New Member

What I think would be worth a try is for anybody thinking of buying a new VFR to say to the sales guy that once the price is agreed on that you are going to with hold $500 to cover the potential costs involved in maintaining the charging system. That might get their attention if they don't agree and you walk away. Only way you can ever put pressure on a manufacturer is if you walk out on a deal

3. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Yes, go to roadstercycle.com and WATCH Jack's videos. Very informative.

4. VFR_max

VFR_max New Member

Thanks for the cogent reply.
    Straight..To the point..and kept me reading.
    Now if I could only get a bike that was:
    Fast...Smooth...and keep me riding...that would be awesome.

Stay Frosty!!