Idea's about these symtoms??

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by shaster, Jan 3, 2006.

1. shaster

shaster New Member

Map
    I am experiencing an issue with my 98'.
    When I kepp the RPM at a set level 2,3,4,5000 RMN for any extended period of time, the bike seems to caugh and sputter, if I accelerate or de-accelerate
    it seems to come out of it, but the constant at one speed it just ain't right.
    Especially in the middle of a turn and the bike caughs and stands up strait, not a cool feeling !!
    It also backfires when downshifting and I can smell raw gas eminating for the exhaust..
    Any idea's? I have been told from a Hooters parking lot mechanic that it is running rich, or lean. Pulling the plugs should be able to tell me something about that, is this a simple adjustment, or should i take it to the shop, which I don't have much confidence in, with a VFR...

2. ATLVFR95

ATLVFR95 New Member

same symptoms

i actually have the same exact "coughing" symptoms on my 98 SuperHawk. my 95 VFR has never done anything like that, but my SuperHawk is currently doing that. i would have described the problem in the exact same manner - small world. anyone got any advice?

3. VFRKiwi

VFRKiwi New Member

I too had similar symptoms on my '86 VFR. I thought it was related to a fuel / Carb issue also, but shortly after these symptoms, my regulator/rectifier fried itself. When I replaced the recitfier and battery (which was also dead), the problem disappeared. It might pay to check over the R/R as per the manual and see if this could be the cause. Best of luck

4. michael

michael Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Do you ever notice the speedometer wigging out? That's what happened to me when my R/R fried. I would definitely check that, since it's such a known issue on VFRs.

5. fuldog

fuldog New Member

United States
    Map
    Take it to the shop if you don't have a manual. I think the '98 VFR has a fault code check that will display a problem that the computer detects, but you need the manual to decipher.

6. Ken Larsen

Ken Larsen New Member

I just had the same problem with my 98. After the rectifier/reg burned up last fall I parked the bike and over the winter ordered a "brand x" rect. and this spring I fired it up and immediately both headlights went bad. I then noticed that the lights would brighten and dim with the throttle and first ride, noticed the chugging at steady speeds. I thought it acted like it was fuel related. I saw on here someone posted about not using aftermarket reg assemblies and I am here to tell you, believe it. My bike has better throttle response and low end torque than it did before once I installed the updated Honda piece. I am a mechanic by trade and can only speculate that the amp. delivery or voltage mapping is different than the factory replacement. My wife was so frustrated with the bike as we had a low speed off because of the throttle response she almost drove me to the dealer to get a new bike (oh well). I enjoyed my 98 when I first got it and since these electrical issues I could have set a match to it. but all hope has been restored. This thing is as nice as the day I got it.

7. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    Ken, are you 100% sure that the new replacement regulator you bought from Honda was an "updated" item, i.e., has there really been factory mods on the regulator design for the 5th generation bikes? The reason I am asking is that I replaced my stock one with an aftermarket one and it has worked very well....so far, even after experiencing a one day problem when the engine temperature reached 241 degrees. I had to bump-start the bike to ride home.
    Then I put it on my battery charger and it has not hiccuped since (about a month of riding).
    So, to reiterate...has anyone else installed the "updated" regulator from Honda? Any problems? If there truly is an updated model, what changes did Honda incorporate?

8. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    My ride was seemingly acting up with a dead battery - I managed to bump start the thing and get home. Then - yeah - I installed the new updated Honda factory R/R for my '98. Plug and play. The fin area is about double. So far so good, and a reliable ride once again. Back to corner carving.

There is another R/R thread with photos of the old vs new.
    A good pic in this thread... big fins

http://vfrworld.com/forums/fifth-generation-1998-2001/7904-regulator-rectifier-my-99-a.html

MD

9. kajinvfr

kajinvfr New Member

dont buy the r/r from parts unlimited .i tried 2 of them before i went and got honda's revamped one and it is like a different bike.nothing but honda parts for me from now on.my baby is worth it.

10. John451

John451 Member

Australia
  11. wrxtc99

wrxtc99 New Member

First 2 things to be done: Check the air cleaner and check the spark plugs, both will lead to a rich fuel mixture if either is dirty. I had exactly the same problem to the extent the bike was hard to start, replaced both and havn't had a problem since.

12. Ken Larsen

Ken Larsen New Member

That was something else I noticed is that my mileage went to heck. I just filled up and will check but I know it is better than it was. The backfiring and fuel rich smell also went away. I thought plugs and filter also. I cleaned the K&N and checked plugs, still ran bad until I swapped the R/R.