If you didn't ride in the Seattle area today, I hope you had a good excuse.

Discussion in 'USA - Pacific Northwest' started by RobVG, Oct 5, 2014.

1. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Nah. Some of us have lived there and quickly left. Riding season is so short it makes Canada look good. Rain, rain, more rain, snow, ice, rain, more rain. Then maybe 2 months to 10 weeks of riding season. Then it's gray again, rainy, etc. I did all the good rides, and they were great but nothing worth living through 9-10 months of that shit. I did love the Peninsula though. Made that trip as many times as I could but due to the congestion, even getting there and back on the boat can be a real bitch. So little good weather time means tourists, and people loading up their SUV's on the boat too. Bad weather, and too many people in a small area. You can have it all to yourself ;)

2. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Tootled up to the Tulalip Res and Kayak Point Park on Sunday. The Hawks managed to win without me.

SDC10378.jpg

SDC10381.jpg

SDC10383.jpg

3. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Had these bitchen square engine case guards on my 84, just wish I could remember where I got them.....
    They would look great on your bike. Think maybe Race Crafters back in the day...80's

4. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Oh , looked a little cold....

5. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    40 degrees.

A little brisk but I finally have enough of the right gear so I don't worry about the weather too much.

6. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Love riding in the cold...compared to the furnace here in the summer.....might as well have a hair dryer on high in my face with my helmet on. Glad you got a good ride in.....

7. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    The Olympic Peninsula can be accessed withoot using the ferry system, Head to Olympia and hook a right.

Now to the ferries. Loading 365 is walk on passegers first so they don't get run over on the car decks. Next are the bicycle dudes of both genders and some guesswork. They are put in the bow on the main deck. The motorcycles are next with the same gender thing and other added problems from the Harley crowd. They go on the main deck too, behind the bicycles. Last are the other various vehicles. Off loading is in the same order. The Harleydoods tend to fire up their bikes before the boat docks. It's a mucho-macho thing. The folks in the cars and truck love the smell of Harleys in the morning.

What ya missed is that since this loading procedure is standard stuff bicycles and motorcycles stage on the dock and do not have to wait in the "SUV" lines.

The weather is oot of my hands but I am sure glad I could help with the other stuff you missed.

8. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Lowell-Larimer road, New Years Day. Heavy frost, a little freaky.

SDC10388.jpg SDC10390.jpg SDC10391.jpg SDC10392.jpg SDC10395.jpg

Attached Files:

9. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    I let the insurance on my bike run out for the first time ever. Expired November 18. Today took down the decorations by i will tell you, if the bike was insured, I would have been on it. Cold here. A few degrees below 0 (Celsius) but clear and sunny. Dress up and ride on. Miss that.

10. RobVG

RobVG Member

Canada
    Map
    Shoot Randy, if you had insurance I'd ride up to the border and we could go from there. It warmed up to 38f today but the road had only seen morning sun. The gear I bought recently kept me from freezing.

11. Badbilly

United States
  12. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have all the right gear Rob. Used to ride to and from work, 100 miles round trip on the freeway, year round but since retirement, don't ride enough in the winter to justify the cost of the insurance. Nice thing is though, my insurance expired the same day every year, so if the bug hits me, I can buy the insurance and it is pro-rated.

We are supposed to get a dusting of snow today, so I don't see that bug arriving today.

13. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    That one has my mind moving in overdrive. When I was camping in Yosemite a couple years ago, the over night temps dipped below freezing and I was toasty warm in my tent and sleeping bag. Getting up in the middle of the night for my middle aged pee was not enjoyable thought seeing as the lou was about 100 yards away and I was wearing just boarding shorts.

14. Badbilly

United States
    Is this an entre' to one of those don't eat the yellow snow jokes? ;)