If you got rid of your VFR, what would you get?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by jayzonk, Apr 8, 2018.

1. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Ninja 1000 was actually my first choice, but insurance was 3X the VFR.

Bubba Utah and Viffer J like this.
  2. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Same scenario as me. I wanted to stay above or at 1000cc. I wanted to get back to an inline 4 as well, but like you said and I found out a few years ago. Insurance forgives no one that wants a Z, Ducati, etc. you pay for you passion twice and always. They wanted $145 a month for the Kawi, and I pay $33 a month on the VFR. Utah does have some high insurance rates as well overall. This is only my second bike under 1000cc's. First was a 1983 GPz550. I am a sucker for red!;-)

Viffer J likes this.
  3. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map

$33 No bad, not bad at all. How much coverage do you have? The one thing I've learned over the years (and accidents) is any time you go down, its gonna cost ya. I'm in L.A. with Allstate and pay $53 a month for 250,000/500,000.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

4. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    I couldn't get my quote below $300 a month! True that I have comp coverage, but the limits on everything aren't super high. I'm an old guy with clean record and experience. I suspect they think it's the same as the ZX10r. Too bad too, because the Ninja 1000 ergos are the closest to my old CBR500r, which I was at home on. I'm loving my Interceptor, don't get me wrong, but like I said previously, it was my #2, and I'm working hard to get used to/change the VFR ergos to something more comfy for me long-term.

5. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map

. Dude where the hell do you live, ON A FREAKING RACE TRACK? I'm 50, live in L.A. with Allstate and pay $53 a month for 250,000/500,000 with 250k UI and that's comp & collision. U might wanna shop around

6. Eagle Six

Eagle Six New Member

United States
    Map
    I got liability, comp/collision, towing, underinsured and uninsured for a ZX14 and ZX14R, both total less than a $100 per month.

7. headshrink

headshrink New Member

United States
    Sacramento area. Progressive through USAA. Similar coverage (without actually looking to verify). You're right, I should shop around. I just hear horror stories about so many companies, it's hard to know which can really be trusted. Only problem would be the buyers remorse if I find out I COULD have had the N1k.

8. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    I had progressive when my 05 was stolen. Fairly decent rate and easy claims process once reported stolen. When I replaced her with a 07, I went to Nation Wide and saved a few bucks. Got hit coming back from Vegas. Claims processing was pretty straightforward but they left my bike at the CHiP impound yard at $90 a day, for 63 days while they waited for the adjusters inspection and another 30 before having it picked up. Sure I didn't have to pay the storage fees personally but that $8500 had to paid by ALL NationWide rate payers. I also realized 25/50 was NOT enough coverage when I saw how much my new ankle cost and bumped my coverage up to 50/100 and went back to Progressive for

After the DUI, when I got another bike and went to get a new policy for 100/200. Progressive wanted the entire year UP FRONT so I shopped around and found Allstate and got the 250/500 for LESS than what Progressive wanted for half the coverage.

SHOP AROUND

9. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map

State Farm. I think my coverage is 250/500. Collision /Comprehensive-under insured/uninsured $250 deductible. I was with progressive for many years and they where charging me $58 a month for less coverage even with multiple vehicles and $500 deductible on both. I will have to look. Thanks for that.

10. Pbanys1200

Pbanys1200 New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for the heads up Saceur, it really does pay to shop around!:scooter:

11. Africord

Africord New Member

United States
    Map
    First choice, 2018 Goldwing, no top-box. Realistic choice, FJR1300. I think the new wing is a sport-tourer! Its virtually the same weight as an ST1300. In any case, I cross the 60 mark this year and my body is starting to talk to me about the ergos on the 6th gen.

saceur likes this.
  12. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    FJR have been a great bike for a long time. And now with another gear even better.

13. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    I just pegged 50 but after 3 wrecks my body said "eh man, the VFR is tight af and outer first love but maybe we should start looking for a bigger bike". Should be pulling the trigger on a FJR1300 in a month or so