I'm never wearing this Shoei again!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by 2007VFR, Apr 8, 2013.

1. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

Well all I know is that I didn't have to explain my post to anyone else....no offense.
    Do you see the the picture of my helmet? Do you not see the FOG on the shield, underneath the Pin-Lock insert?? THAT is the issue.
    Never mind that other picture for now....that was what I did in a moment of being SO pissed off at this thing...I cut the insert up into little pieces, and doing that made me feel 100 times better. I'm now back to wearing my Suomy, which has an anti fog shield that works excellently.

2. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I used to hold my breath during critical times when it was all fogged up. Used a fog-city flim that did an ok job, not to be confused with a "fag-city" film.

They have these weird japanese breath things that you attach to the helmet and contact your nose too, Dont have any hands on experience with them though. Will refrain from a shameless brain bucket endorsement here. Cheers

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Shoei has a silicon breath shield that goes in under that thinner plastic one that does help a lot. Fits snug but comfortable against the bridge of the nose.

And 2007VFR. I did not see that until you mentioned it either. Now that I see this, what it looks like is that the bottom portion of your film is not meeting the shield. Mine did that too, but when you are applying it, if you look at the seal from the outside of your visor, it is easy to see that you have not properly installed the film. It is a very simple adjustment of the film at the pin points, probably slipping yours up a small fraction of an inch, until the silicon bead makes contact all around the edge of your film. Naturally, if there is a break in that bead, then the film will not work. Neither will any other two layered system out there.

Some of us are old enough to remember these. The pin loc system works on the same principles:

A cold blast from the past Blog of the week: West End Dumplings - Winnipeg Free Press

But I don't know where exactly you are from so if you live in the warmer climes, you would never have known about these. When I drove down to California with my car with the frost shields installed on the two side windows and the rear window, and the electrical plug for the block heater and interior warmer hanging out the grill, I told people down there the glass was bullet proof and the car was electric. Un-heard of those days. You would be astonished how many people believed me!

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    BTW. All that moisture in the helmet is good for the skin. Keeps it nicely moisturized....can't you tell?

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I was going to ask the same thing. I am not sure what the problem is. I saw a picture of bunch of pieces of a shield, and a helmet. A little more explanation in the original post would suffice. I used a pinlock on my RF1000 for years without an issue. Best anti-fog I have found.

6. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

Randy,
    I have adjusted the pins a number of times. It is then OK for awhile, and then as I open and close the lid, I guess the insert must move, and then it begins leaking someplace else. The fog, AS SHOWN IN MY PICTURE BELOW, comes up from the bottom. Before, it was coming in the one side. So this insert doesn't stay in place. Why it doesn't fit right I have no idea. Tired of fuc....I mean screwing with it :)
    I completely reject this notion that you need a system like the Pin Lock to keep fog out of your lens. I have a 2001 Suomy Gunwind Troy Bayliss replica, it has a light smoke anti-fog shield, and I have never, ever had a fog issue with this helmet. If I wanna change the shield to a clear one, I slap one off, slap the other one on, boom, done. No screwing with a seal, no pins to adjust, no hassles whatsoever.

Attached Files:

7. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I dunno. You are having problems which I am not. Many here like the Tourmaster Jackets and wouldn't have anything else while I would not give them the time of day so it happens. Hope you find something that meets your needs.

Now. I will send you a bill for the time supplying you with expertise advise spent on this thread by myself trying to convince you that you are wrong. Fact remains that I failed but the time was still spent. Please forward $1.13 to my paypal account in Canadian funds. Failure to comply may result in a shower of worm infested meteorites raining down on you while you are sun bathing in the rain.

8. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

Direct the meteors at this helmet, specifically the shield.

9. Mumbles

Mumbles New Member

Been using the fog city film here. Worked out cheaper than upgrading to pin lock. Been reasonably happy with it and only $30 delivered.

10. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

It has now been an entire week since I wrote to Shoei about this.....again. I penned a perfectly nice and tactful letter via email, so how long should I be willing to wait for them to respond??
    Nothing going into my spam or junk mail folder, thought maybe it got directed there, but no.
    I've got the helmet listed in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Take a look and tell me if my price is fair.....

11. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Funny thing, I always had an Arai head, anyway, getting along with the story. I was racing and did a little helmet testing, (ie-knocked myself out!) I was wearing a nice race replica brain bucket (Luca Cadalara?) Anywho, less than four days later, I wondered into my shop and ordered a top of the line Shoei ZX something or other, famous road racing Brazilian, Giberiou? Funny thing was that I wore that helmet for two years and was un-impressed, one day, I don-ed one of my old, old Arais, and came back after a ride saying, "WTF?"

That Shoei was listed on Ebay and sold immediately, I ended up buying the most expensive brain bucket I ever purchased. Of course it was an Arai, I dont give a shit about people nay saying crap about that shield system and blah blah blah. Point is, I never change the shield, so who cares, its not as user friendly as the Shoei, but the comfort and CUSTOMER SERVICE IS SECOND TO NONE....nuff-sed...Cheers,,,a K-Mart Skid Lid will save you from an expensive pet-scan.

12. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I've never owned a Pin Lock so I had to look it up to see what the fuss is all about. Interesting but I'll stick to the tried and true, blue stuff in a bottle, that I picked up at a bike show years ago and just cracking the visor a tad when things get heavy.

As far as the helmet, I can't wear Shoei. I tried for years but the red welt on my forehead finally sunk in and I realized that my head shape demanded something else. I'm ashamed to say that I wear an Icon. But in its defense, it is super quiet and comfortable. haven't crash tested it but it claims to meet the safety standards so how bad can it be? Then again how much better is an Arai or Suomy? My gut says that they are better but how much?? Dunno...

13. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I'm going to have a much more open mind next time I go look for a helmet. I've pretty much just written off various helmets in the past simply because of the name on them. Not gonna do that next time. I will at least try on a Scorpion, a Nolan, Shark, HJC, Bell, maybe even an Icon.... ;)
    There's a huge motorcycle store in Columbus Ohio called Iron Pony Motorsports....great place to shop. They have every helmet that you would ever need to try on to make a decision. Hell, if I can find a Shoei WITHOUT Pinlock I'll even consider one of those.
    I know one thing right now; an Arai does not fit my head. I've tried several and they feel awful. Not the helmet's fault though.

14. OOTV

OOTV Insider

If your concerned about fogging and do not want a pin lock lens, the Scorpion's have one of the best anti-fog shields around, and according to my friend, the HJC he owns does too (sorry, I don't know which model though).

15. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

I tried on some new helmets today, just like I said I was gonna do.
    Man....there is some real JUNK being sold these days, that's my opinion.
    The cheapest helmet that actually felt decent was a G Zone brand. It's about a $200 helmet.
    They had some Arai too, but I discovered they had a pin lock on them, I didn't even look twice. I already know they don't fit me anyway.
    The parts guy showed me an no fog panel that you can put on any lense. He says once it's on, it's on, it has adhesive around it's perimeter. It guarantees no fog, and it also tints itself in the sunlight. It's a $30 piece, and it's not fragile and delicate like these stupid pin lock inserts. Maybe I'll consider one of these, because like I said I like my Shoei, it's the shield I can't stand.

16. 2007VFR

2007VFR New Member

17. drude

drude New Member

Map
    I purchased a pinlock for my old Shoe RF1000. It was amazing. My only complaint would be that you lose some peripheral vision.

I was going to purchase a pinlock for my new Arai Vector 2, but the prices were incredible high. I opted instead to go with an InVision hyper shield insert. It's different than a pinlock in that it is more of a sticker. While it can be removed, it's more something that you would leave on the visor. My pinlock was in always anyways, so I decided to give it a try. I haven't had it in very long, but so far so good. I barely notice that it's there as there is hardly any loss in my peripheral vision. Cost me about $20.

18. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    I used to have one of those glue on universal anti fog lenses inside my old shoei. It worked great of course but did effect peripheral vision a bit.
    Divers spit on the inside of their dive masks. I don't know if it works great once it dries.

19. VFR Love

VFR Love New Member

United States
    oh and to seat the pinlock lens:
    1) screw the lens to the shield
    2) torsion the shield by twisting the ends in opposite directions (left side down and right side up, then left side up and right side down)

There is a demonstration of this on revzillas website.

Aside from that maybe some approved silicon dressing applied to the gasket of the lens to keep it supple and of course not putting the lens on in a humid environment and thus trapping moisture which can condensate later between the lens and shield.

Just some ideas!

20. azi

azi New Member

I can't really see what's gone wrong in your uploaded photo, but (like others have said) it sounds like a problem with the insert rather than the helmet.

I've used Pinlock in my Shoei RF900 and XR1000 for several years. These are the ones where you have to use the included template and drill holes in your visor yourself. I haven't used the newer pre-pinned Shoei visors.

I've had no problems whatsoever with fitting. Sometimes the insert is too tight or doesn't seal properly - twirling the pin around a little will fix that as it's eccentric. The other thing is that if you use the wrong notch on the insert then the position will be all wrong and the visor won't close.

The only bummer about Pinlocks are (1) ghosting that occurs at night with headlights etc due to extra surface reflections and (2) easy scratching.

Another option is Fog City but they are a sticky insert.