Interchangeable Parts...

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by Oakley_burn, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Oakley_burn

Oakley_burn New Member

Hello All.

Are there any generic parts that fit all models of the VFR 750? Just wondering if brake discs, pads, bodywork etc can be interchanged with other models. I've got a '88 vfr750 FJ.

Many thanks,

Phil.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I don't know if there are any that work on all, but lots work on several models. I think any part from your generation are interchangeable with other bikes from that generation (i.e. my 98 can pretty much swap most anything with a 99, 00, 01), then there are mirrors that work I think from the newest all the way back to at least 98 maybe further... I don't think the brakes pads work from 1st gen to 5th but they might be the same 1, 2nd. I don't know. Just looking at my 84 and my 98, there doesn't look to be much that would switch. Although, I did notice the slave cylnder for the clutch looks the same. Wonder if they ever changed it? The oil drain plug might be the same. :) The oil filter is different. You know what vman says, though, with enough time effort and money any part can be made to fit...

3. Oakley_burn

Oakley_burn New Member

RE: Interchangeble Parts...

Well after some net trawling i found out a little list that goes like this:

Front Brake Disc L+R: FJ – FP
    Rear Brake Disc: FG – FK
    Front Brake Pads L+R: FG – FH
    Front Brake Pads L+R: FJ – FV
    Rear Brake Pads: FG – FH
    Rear Brake Pads: FJ – FV
    Spark Plugs: FG – FK
    Spark Plugs: FL – FP
    Battery: FL – FV
    Chain O-Ring Type: FG – FK
    Drive Sprocket Front: FG – FK
    Drive Sprocket Rear: FG – FK

There is also this link as well for more interchangeable parts (not jus 1st gen)
    http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/cgi-bin/dss2-cgi/Catalogue.pl

All good info for those who want it.

Phil

4. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map
    I spent a lot time looking at different Honda parts to fit for my project ride. My guess is if your forks are the 41mm you can look at F2, F3, Super hawk, VFR750 stuff for possibilities for the front, it might even be an upgrade. Honda likes to design something and then produce it as long as possible. Look at RonAyers site for the Honda fische to get ideas. Then before you plunk your bucks down, find an actual bike to look at with tape measure in hand.

Best of luck on your project.
    MD

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

United States
    Map

Dont I know it - I always have to learn the hard way.....:eek:

MD

6. the-chauffeur

the-chauffeur New Member

New board member . . . go easy . . .

As far as bodywork goes, most of it from the '86FG to the '89FK models is interchangeable. Well, more or less.

The '86/7 models have a combined side front fairing/belly pan - so at the front you've got a top panel (with windshield), a left panel and a right panel. On the '88/9 models, the right and left panels were broken into sections - top, mid-left, mid-right and belly pan. As long as you can find all of the parts, you can attach the '88/9 lower fairing parts to an '86/7 top panel.

The rear subframe is also interchangeable on the '86-'89 models. Not hugely exciting, I grant you, but the footpegs on the later models look sharper than the earlier (the early ones are just extensions of the tubular frame, whereas the later ones are alloy bolt-ons). That said, you need to make a small adjustment to the later subframe for the indicators, apparently.

But - as I've found to my cost - the front wheel from the '88/9 models does not fit straight into the '86/7, despite the rims being the same width. The centre hub of the later wheel is about 1/2" wider. Which means the forks, yokes, handlebars and spindle are all different.

Dunno if that helps anyone.

Neil

7. Oakley_burn

Oakley_burn New Member

Cheers for the bodywork info. Always keen to know more.

Phil