Intermittent power failure

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by jay956, Jun 3, 2009.

1. jay956

jay956 New Member

Ive been having some trouble with my electrics. last week the bike died on me, battery was dead. the battery was tested and it had a bad cell. put a new battery in and everything worked fine, made it the 2 hour ride home. after that i checked the system. it would never go below 12v, when running it would go to 14v. so i think ok good it was just a bad battery. yesterday coming home from a fiends house, came up to a stoplight and it died again, it was acting like a low battery, lights would come on but when you hit the starter everything would dim the go out. this time i was only 5 mins away from my mechanic, so i called him and he towed it back to his shop. i called him today and he said it started up just fine this morning. im confused as hell. has anyone ever heard of this before?

2. Ghost_Rider

Ghost_Rider Active Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds very much like you could have a bad/failing R/R (regulator/rectifier). Time to test it, along with inspection of the wiring harness and connector around the R/R. Might want to have the stator checked out also.

3. jay956

jay956 New Member

ill double check it, i already ordered a new rr and a "vfrness". but the rr is already an aftermarket one.