Is the new VFR 1200 selling?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by runnerhiker, May 9, 2010.

?

Will you buy or consider buying the VFR1200?

1. I already bought one

13.8%
  2. I would consider buying one

36.2%
  3. I will NOT consider buying one

50.0%
  1. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
  2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

It may be that what Cruppyrider means is that there are several 1200s for sale on EBay. Looking at the nannoprint and the the usual hype, these are new bikes already in inventory at one or more dealerships.

This means the dealer has already made arrangements with Honda to pay for these vehicles or they have taken advantage of various discounts offerend by Honda for up front payment.

A thousand bucks says that any one of them, if anyone were to walk in in the next five minutes to one of these dealerships with a handfull of cash in the exact amount of the stated price expecting to ride one home will be sadly dissappointed.

3. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Looks like the one dealer has two on his floor for sale. That's probably their entire alotted inventory for the year right there on his floor, yet they're pretty much asking MSRP. The only one offering a 'deal' is the one for $14k ($13,999). Most of these dealers are in north eastern states that need to sell them before winter comes around again.Winter is the time to buy in those regions if you want to get a deal. Here in Florida where riding is year-round we don't see deals unless the bike's been on the floor for a year or more. Some dealers in my area have 2008-2009 models to get rid of and they discount them 30% or more. You have to remember that even though you are buying a 'new' bike, that you immediately assume the trade-in value of a 1 to 2 year old bike. I have purchased bikes like that on occasion and offered them maybe $500 over trade-in on Kelly Blue Book. Even when I buy a current year bike I offer them the MSRP as an out the door price. They've never said no to that.

4. Badbilly

United States
    According to the peanut gallery, the 1200s aren't selling well anyplace. I am glad to see that the dealers in the Northeast are being creative on the 4th of July in anticipation of the coming of Old Man Winter and not falling into the trap of believing all this crap about global warming.

$13,999 ? LOL Better tack on another two grand on that one to get it out the door and start reading the fine print. Yep, got an example... Sales tax.. Plates in the state the bike was purchased to be "legal".
    Transportation and lodging since in the fine print ya gotta pick the bike up because they won't ship it. Then they roll out the fucking "Sales Manager" who will have about ten different reasons you don't qualify for the sale price.

SOS and bend over; they will even try to sell you the KY Jelly.

5. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Get real... they won't sell you any KY! This is a motorcycle dealership! You're lucky if they mention WD-40 before bending you over!

I will say that one of the Honda dealerships in my area had already discounted a few 2010 models. But alas, I am not in the market for the ST1300, the DN-01, or the NT700V. I was talking to the saleswoman at the shop and she had 2 of the non-ABS NT's on the floor and willing to let either of them go for $8,500.00. More likely, I could have offered her $8k OTD and she would have done it. She had 2 2010 ST1300's as well and was asking $12k for them.

I don't mention their asking price for the DN-01, because frankly, who would mention it at all as a motorcycle?

6. Badbilly

United States
    I wonder what she'd do for a ten spot?

7. masari.jones

masari.jones New Member

United States
    Map
    There's no way I would purchase the new VFR for many reasons:

Ugly overall design... seems to be the norm for bikes coming out of Honda these days. Who is making these design decisions?

Massive right side can (I love the undertail design it was one of the reasons I purchased my 2003)

Honda managed to add more weight to an already heavy bike. I don't know about everyone else but I consider my VFR a comfortable sportbike first and a touring bike second. Honda clearly doesn't feel the same way.

Those are my top three reasons...

8. motorhead1977

motorhead1977 New Member

United States
    Map
    My local dealer had one for a day!

Yep, my local dealer had one on the floor for one day. Sold it shortly after he put it out on the floor. For me it is far too heavy at rest. Even though the reports are once underway it is very nice I do not like any bike I have to wrestle with when stopped. My 07 VFR is at my upper limit of weight/balance - top heavy. So no, I won't be buying one.

9. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    About a year ago I said in another thread, and I believe I even said it here, that I would have been happy with a VFR800 with shaft drive and heated grips. I was shot down for making that comment. He said that with shaft drive it would no longer be a VFR because VFR's are chain drive sport bikes that are also comfortable enough to go on longer distance rides.

I also made that comment about my 2006 Ninja 650R and was shot down by the same comments, yet people that own them kit them out with hard cases and taller wind screens! To me, a medium displacement sport touring bike would not suffer with having a shaft drive. I thoroughly enjoyed my 1982 Seca Turbos and they were all day comfortable and fun in the twisties as well.

Does that mean the VFR1200 really isn't a VFR? I'd like to hear from people that own one and have logged some decent one and two day trips with it. How comfy is the stock seat and ergos after a 300-500 mile day? The people that own them already say they're a blast to ride, but I am assuming that they mean it's a very flickable bike.

If the VFR1200 isn't meant to compete with the likes of the FJR, BMW K1300GT, and the C14, then what is it's competition and why fit it with shaft drive and bump up the displacement if it's not meant to compete in the super sport tourer group?

Maybe the VFR800 isn't totally dead? Maybe they're going to put a shaft drive on it and re-introduce it in a year or two? Maybe they'll abandon the V-Tec? Maybe they'll give it heated grips? Lots of maybe's I know, but from some of the crap coming out of Japan these days, who knows?

10. superfuzz

superfuzz New Member

A new VFR that met my expectations (better suspension, a little more power, similar weight, same do-it-all abilities, reasonable cost increase) would have motivated me to trade up from my '99. But the ridiculously high price ($18,000 when optioned out with bags etc to meet standard equip on a Councours14,) hideous styling, and the ponderous (if you believe the magazines) handling have made it a non-starter for me.

If I had the kind of $$ needed to buy a new VFR1200, I would just get a 2010 Concours for $2500 less and get a bike that is reportedly superior in almost every way.

11. hpridgen

hpridgen New Member

I'll wait for generation 8. I recently traded my gen. 6, after the latest generation came ashore and did not impress. I liked my gen. 6, but the Vtec got annoying. I liked the V4 though---very smooth. The gen. 6 was a little heavy for an 800 IMO. I would have liked a V4 with 100i0sh displacement and without Vtec.

12. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Waiting for Godot, eh?

13. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    I hope your not over fourty... gen 8 may come out in the year 2050... I think it will look something like Kirks bike on the lastest star Trek movie........:VFR1200F:

14. hpridgen

hpridgen New Member

Not following you.

15. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    Waiting for Godot is a play about 2 guys who wait for someone who never comes . . . .

16. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    I don't give Honda anymore credit than a possible color change for the 2011 model year. I just wonder what dull color it'll be. Shall we take bets on silver or black? That's about the extent of Honda's color wheel. Ok, maybe a light gold flake or champagne pink metallc! Maybe they'll be like Suzuki was this year (no 2010 updates) and not even come out with a 2011 line-up because of poor sales/slow economy. Maybe I'll be given a chance to get a NOS 2010 VFR1200 with bags for $12 k in a year or two, if I were so inclined and the competition didn't have a better offering.

17. Wabbit1961

Wabbit1961 New Member

Map
    Alaskan -

Just browsed your pics. I think someone's defintely a VFR fan from way back! Your 1986 VFR before restore reminds me of my first Yamaha Seca Turbo. It was pristine except for lack of use and needed all the typical engine re-works and gas tank cleaning.

18. Badbilly

United States
    Probably more on that on the small penis thread that Cundalini started. I think you can even get a decal or patch.

19. nitronorth

nitronorth New Member

Way too big and fat for me. Nearly the size of the fj1300 I owned, and that bike was no fun. Sorry Honda, wrong direction fro me.

20. Badbilly

United States
    Real Canadians like the fat ones. I have been there and know these things.