Is the new VFR 1200 selling?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by runnerhiker, May 9, 2010.

?

Will you buy or consider buying the VFR1200?

1. I already bought one

13.8%
  2. I would consider buying one

36.2%
  3. I will NOT consider buying one

50.0%
  1. vfourbear

vfourbear New Member

United States
    Map
    Waiting for Guffman....way funnier.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Guffman showed, Godot no show.

3. VFR1200

VFR1200 New Member

Canada
    Map
    I have just had a email from Honda filling out a survey regarding the VFR1200. I told them it was a great looking bike but with the small fuel tank and stupid price tag I will not buy one. I have had three VFR800 in the past five years. I will stay with my latest one for as long as I can.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Is there something we should know about the 800s? That sure is a passle of 800s to have in such a short period of time. This is the place to spill the beans.

5. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    i was wondering about that myself. I have had the same one in that time frame and even wrecked it 3x and kept riding it... maybe that just because I'm so cheap. ;)

6. MikadoPilot

MikadoPilot New Member

Craig, you hit the nail on the head. I'm 47 and yes, I owned and rode a VF1000F. That bike has been my favorite of all the bikes I've owned - the V4 mystic is a part of that. But, here's the reality - that bike had 116HP and weighed 600lbs! People are complaining that the VFR1200 weighs 560 or so pounds - that's the wet weight - with fuel and oil. I rode the 1200 this past weekend and found it to be a sheer joy. It's more beautiful in true life than any picture. I'm not a fan of the color though and hope that they can pick something more sporty next year.

I thought it handled well and the brakes were fantastic. The instrument cluster was perferct. I rode a Multistrada 1200S because that's another bike I may be interested in: It is visbily inferior in fit and finish and the instruments are completely unreadable in the Texas summer sun.

The VFR1200 is a superb bike in my limited opinion - It is a true VFR - an evolved one: choice is wonderful, choose what fits. I, like you, need something that doesn't kill my wrists and neck any more - I'm done with the ZX10's and GPz (remember those). I am now riding a great SV1000S (Suzuki V-Twin): the VFR trounces it on nearly all counts except cost.

Chris

7. CraigC

CraigC New Member

Chris,
    It truly is a great bike. If you get one you will enjoy it and it will do 99% of anything you want it to do except maybe track days. CBR 600s are for track days.

Craig

8. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    I voted that "I would consider" buying the new VFR, and I was sincere about that. But my wallet voted differently recently. My local dealer offered me a test ride on a new '09 Ninja ZX 14 and it was love at first ride. Before I left the parking lot, I knew I liked that bike a lot. I have posted here several times that I took a test ride on the new VFR and I found ok but it didn't grab me. This Ninja grabbed me. I traded in the VFR and I am very happy with my first Kawasaki.

[​IMG]

9. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    The ZX14 is a very nice ride. Congrats!

10. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Congrats on your new scooter. Remember break her in like you just bought a new chain saw. Aggressive!!!

11. lilticket

lilticket New Member

Map
    I voted that I would consider buying one...but it's not what I imagined. I was thinking more canyon carver than FJR and what's up with the headlight?

12. runnerhiker

runnerhiker New Member

Map
    Yeah, I ride it like I stole it from day one, I don't believe in babying new bikes. I've had it a month and a half and have 2,400 miles on it.

13. Flash1034

Flash1034 New Member

Map
    Dear Honda,

Please include the following items in the price of the VFR1200: saddlebags, center stand and heated grips. I will then buy one.

Thanks,

Flash

14. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I would not consider it.

They are offering free panniers in AUS to sell them. I'd say sales are slow.

My biggest issue is why honda only release 2 colour schemes in AUS. Grey and maroon + grey... C'mon Honda seriously...

I am hoping for a track inspired RVF1000 to come out..

Honda need to get this sorted out IMHO.

15. gnappi

gnappi New Member

Nope, no way

I have a Magna 750, it's a BLAST to ride and and I REALLY like it, though it's underpowered. I also have a Blackbird CBRXX and that bike needs nothing, but it's a 99 and it could use a rest.

I waited for this bike (the 1200) for what seemed an eternity, looked at all the pics leaking out through the media, followed all the hype on it being the "replacement" for the CBRXX, and when it FINALLY arrived in south Florida. I went to look at it and immediately was turned off by the price at $16,000 plus freight, assembly, tax made it unappealing, and add to that the gas tank was 4.9 gallons ( the 1100xx is a gallon more) That made it heavier then my bird, shaft drive, less fuel, a LOT more than I thought it should cost, and I figured I would wait to see if any improvements made it to year 2 of production.

Then in came reports of 150 miles range to empty, but my CBRxx has in my hands gives me 200 miles to the light with more in reserve in mixed hwy, local riding.

FINALLY the dealers here started discounting them and I have seen ~$12.5k - $13,900 pricing, but too late. I figured a used low mileage Busa would do just as well if I had to settle on a small tank :) Not one dealer in south Florida has told me that they sold even one.

16. anbark22

anbark22 New Member

Map
    Just returned from a 172 mile trip this evening. Averaged 47.7 mpg while cruising between 65-70 mph. It appears that I can certainly get 200 miles out of a tank at those speeds. I don't know where everyone keeps getting word that it is limited to 150 miles per tank. Maybe it depends on the speed one travels.

Boy do I love this automatic transmission. On one long stretch, will no cars visible, I finally cranked it up a bit in sport mode. It downshifted back into 4th gear and quickly hit 145 mph in 5th gear. It was so quick and smooth. AND rock solid at that speed. It was steady pulling like a freight train. I backed down right away because it didn't take long to get there and also for safety reasons. This bike is quick. I'm more impressed with it every day. Plus, I got a super deal on it since they are not selling so well. (NO, I won't disclose what I paid for the DCT but the discount was over $2500.00) If I had the money, I'd buy another one as a spare. Ha Ha.

17. gnappi

gnappi New Member

Gad, I REALLY HATE Rumors and disinformation. If you are correct and I have no reason to doubt your word I'd like someday to ride next to a VFR with my bird that gets 40 mpg at highway speeds and see what the new VFR really does.

BTW, I think you are the ONLY person riding a rocket for 200 miles at those speeds in the world. I know I couldn't (or wouldn't) do it :)

18. dogFM

dogFM New Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    The only time I got > 200 miles out of my CBR1100XX was when I drove it at 60-70mph on motorway- the VR1200 is more economical and it is a better bike if you want to sporty tour one or two up. Choose the 'busa if that will float your boat.

In the UK the VFR1200 is again in the top sellers list at £12,000 or US$18,000 - you yanks are just spoilt on motorcycle pricing!

19. 04viffer

04viffer New Member

No way in hell, those things are butt ugly...I would sport a Vespa before that thing.

20. TheSkeeter

TheSkeeter New Member

Map
    Seeing 2010's at a handful of dealerships now OTD in the $13K's. Now we're getting closer to the price point that's making me interested.