Is the VFR1200 Dead in the United States?

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by warbirds, Jul 5, 2013.

1. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

I bought a Corbin as well, but only because they were the ONLY option for a "backrest" for the VFR12 without buying a top case. Corbin did NOT get it right the first time, but on the second attempt they did what I asked for. Ergonomically it's excellent, but they really should have made a new cover when they made the changes, as it looks a little odd now since they moved the rider's "dish", but didn't move the welt with it. I've learned to ignore it, as it was almost an exercise in futility just trying to get them to fit it right. I hate Corbin, but the seat is very comfy.

2. lear 31a

lear 31a New Member

United States
    Map
    Okay, I went in to the local dealer and proposed a trade. He has the '10 sitting on his floor for two years listed for 12,999. I got slammed on my ole VFR and a CR125, $2500 for both. Hen they would not budge on the price of the V12. I loaded up my toys and went home. Just not meant to be I guess.

3. Dangerous Dave

My local dealer has had a '10 DCT on his floor for three years now...still asking $14.5k for it. I just don't know what they're thinking. That's why I bought mine elsewhere for $11.5k.

I still firmly believe the price point is what's making the 12 a showroom flop here in the states. I'm very happy to have gotten mine for what I did, but would have never paid MSRP for it.
    MHO.

4. Big_Jim59

Big_Jim59 Member

United States
    Map
    I think you are right. Honda built a bike to match BMW and put a BMW type price tag on it. Let's face it VFRs are an acquired taste anyway. The shop had a 6th gen sitting on the floor for ages and they only way they moved it was with a steep discount. The VFR1200s is a heavy sport touring bike that, unlike the ST1300 doesn't even come with bags. If you want to go long distance in comfort get a Wing. If you want to go long distance in sport mode get a ST1300. If you want to go fast and carve corners get a CBR1000. Where does that leave the VFR1200?

5. lshark

lshark New Member

the VFR12 is nothing like an ST1300....it's a sport tourer when you decide to go sport touring, but it is very capable when you go sport riding...and it eats up long distance .....if you only buy one bike, this is definitely the one..... you should ride one some day

6. lshark

lshark New Member

my only problem with my VFR12 as a tourer is keeping it under 100 mph

7. msagini

msagini New Member

True that Volfy. I never really cared much for the saddle bags. If they can keep the saddlebags for a new bike at $10k would be fantastic.

8. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    So true, at the suggested speed limit it feels possible to jog beside the bike. Good thing those signs with #'s are only recommendations in Canada ;)

9. Volfy

Volfy New Member

Go fast and carve corners FOR THE WHOLE DAY... 3 days straight.

We got a 3sisters trip coming up in October. I've done it before with a C14, but the VFR1200 makes the trip so much more fun, yet it is still all day comfortable. I can't say that about the CBR, with its ergos and no provisions for hanging hard bags.

I bought what I liked - at the price I'm willing to pay. That's all that matter for us all individually.

10. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

Me neither. But at $9999 I'm farkling away!

11. cornerexit

cornerexit New Member

This bike is made to go long distance in sport mode and it's very comfortable. Once underway it feels only slightly heavier than a sportbike. I was throwing it around in the turns all last weekend north of Mckinney/Anna with abandonment, flogging it. I marvel at how the engineers got the thing to handle like this weighing what it does. The only time I feel the weight at all is when moving it around in the garage. I've scrubbed my rear tire to the edge, no chicken, and I've nearly scrubbed the front tire to the edge as well, all while twisty riding. Phenomenal bike. You just don't know until you spend some time cornering on one. It's going to make a superb sport tourer and I've named it MIB. (M)ile (I)nhaling (B)itch. I get home from 200-300 mile days with nothing but turns and I have 0 fatigue. Since the heli-bars have been fitted (only bought to spread the bars out, not up) I can say it's the most comfortable bike I've ever taken turns in anger on. 500-600 mile days will be a breeze with only the wind beating me up, not the bike. I'm not hanging off of it like I do on the R1 but my God, this thing can turn well, and is dead stable once leaned over. I was scraping boots all weekend and using my foot for a feeler instead of the peg feelers. I can't wait to jack up the rear of the bike (faster turn in) and get rid of these shit OEM pegs. If somebody made rearsets I'd be in heaven. After I fit Ohlins front and rear this might be the perfect motorcycle, literally do it all. Will take to COTA once I have it setup.

My only complaint if I have to be fair and find one is the exhaust note. I'd rather it be 90 degree V4 but I cannot complain as it certainly doesn't sound like a traditional inline 4 and I'm glad for that as that sound is utterly nauseating.

12. redmyst

redmyst New Member

you can buy one without sending in your stock seat with CMSeats, just email him and he will go over how it is done. He actually prefers you dont send him your seat but rather purchase one of his.

13. Dangerous Dave

Exactly. At that kinda price, you can afford to make it what it woulda, coulda, shoulda been off the showroom floor from the git-go. I reckon I'm about $14k in it now with tires, suspension, seat, Helis, can, juice box, and side cases. Now I have a bike I like much better than either of my FJRs, for a couple grand less than I'd have to pay for a new FJR. I could never get truly comfortable on the FJR, but I'm now very comfy on this bike. And yes...the fun factor has made me forget about the shitty fuel economy. This one is much sexier anyway. I don't care what anybody says about the looks of the 12, I think it's freakin' sweet. Loved it the first time I saw one. It doesn't break my heart to NOT see one at every traffic light. I'm cool with that.

14. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I've got to tell you that now that the prices are coming below 10k, I am getting much more interested in the VFR12. I have been actively scouting and just keep occasionally mentioning it to my wife so that she won't be too surprised if it happens. She is very sentimental, though and wants me to stick with Scratch since I met so many clowns from this site while riding her(Scratch... not my wife...Well both technically speaking strictly from a timeline perspective).

15. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

It's too bad some wives aren't equipped with linked brakes and auto trannys.

16. Volfy

Volfy New Member

The lucky one come equipped with a nice pair of headlights and internal lubrication.

17. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States

Even with all that equipment, the trade in value is not all that much.

18. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Would you guys buy a slightly scratch 2010 with DCT and aftermarkey pipe and ABS for under 9k or pay the extra grand or grand and half for the same year with more miles and no farkles, no DCT, and no scratches?

19. Dangerous Dave

Not sure you're giving us enough to go on, like where and how bad are the scratches? Do you like the pipe? Any other farkles? BTW, ABS is standard. Any warranty left on either? Personally, all else being equal, if the scratches weren't horrible (a little buffing maybe?) and I didn't hate the pipe (does he still have the stocker?), I'd save the extra cash for more farkles. But that's just me.

20. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    ended up that it sold fast. I did not remember ABS being standard when I test rode it back in 09. The scratches weren't bad and I had almost talked myself into it, but it didn't happen.