Japanese mfgrs abandoning the dealership model?

Discussion in 'Anything Goes' started by chutta, Jan 6, 2024.

1. chutta

chutta New Member

United States
    Map
    Earlier this week I saw videos on YouTube that supposedly Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki are abandoning the dealership support model, going with an online approach to sales.
    Has this been verified by anyone at the retail level or confirmed by direct communication with the manufacturers?
    There are some models I haven't seen in the wild despite being updated back during the pandemic, such as the new XSR 700/900s.
    Sure, I've seen reviews, but none on the street.
    If the bikes are only visible on the west coast, how is that helpful?
    Some of these took months, if not a year or more to show up as special orders only and were never presented on sales floors.
    Discuss

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Are these the same type videos that have been claiming that the RVF1000R is being released THIS YEAR!!! (for the past 10 years)?

YouTube videos are RARELY the way to get any accurate motorcycle news. If this story starts popping up on real motorcycle news outlets, maybe there's something.

bmart likes this.
  3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    I just watched one of these videos... production quality of a local mattress or appliance store commercial. Just mashed up all the Kawasaki promotional footage they could find.

So the channel with 4.7K subscribers is dropping a bombshell before everyone else? Hah!

Can't discuss anymore... going down to put my deposit on the 2024 RVF1000RR-R!!!!

4. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    I can't see dealerships disappearing, after all many don't do their own work and need service..... and the manufacturers aren't publishing service manuals these days. I can see dealerships only having a couple of bikes on hand (minimal inventory), and you plunking down a deposit and ordering.... I personally don't order new bikes, rather have used low milers........