Just Bought My New 2010 VFR1200 DCT - Very Dissatified (Also posted at VFRD Discussions)

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by anbark22, Sep 10, 2010.

1. 02 VFR Rider

02 VFR Rider New Member

the 6th gens run hot on 80+ degree days.
    too bad the temp is a bar graph form as you do not know the true temp. 6th gen running at 190+ is a bit uncomfortable to be on sitting in traffic.
    try to take it out on a cool day / night and see if it runs the same temp, if it does try to burp the coolant system.

2. noddy

noddy New Member

I think you were spoilt by your bandit. The Vfr runs hot. The DCT is clunky. My FJR ran hot and was clunky.
    "They all do that sir"

3. Befbever

Befbever New Member

I have a VFR1200F with now 2k miles on it. For the first weeks it was a 100 hp version. The engine would be at the right temp really fast, like nothing I've owned. When I got the full power after changing out the ECU, it was a lot slower to heat up. Normal, I'd say. The fan does kick in a lot but as long as the temp stays good I have no problem with that.
    On hot days I'd be hot everywhere, I can't really tell if there's more heat at a certain spot. Certainly no hotter than any other bikes I've owned.
    The engine is a little noisy - I kind of like that - but if I pull in the clutch most of it's gone. And with earplugs in I can't hear any engine noise.

4. lardyboy

lardyboy New Member

Map
    My first manual VFR 1200 was recalled and came back with a clean bill of health. I actually changed to a DCT model - When I had my first one it made a very un Honda sound at times which I put down to the initial problem, but the recall showed nothing.

I found out last week that the bike did indeed have a problem and is now having its engine replaced - make of this what you will

With regards to heat issues, there is no doubt that the Honda does get hot on the right side near your foot /leg but its from the exhaust pipes which snake around this area. There is a big V4 stuck between your legs and the enclosed body works great when moving but not so when stood still. If you want to find out how hot, ride around in shorts and flip flops - you soon notice then

5. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    That IS a really nice pic. Almost makes me want to run out & get a 12.........ALMOST:tongue:

6. anbark22

anbark22 New Member

Map
    :smile:My Heat issues seem to be subsiding, now that I have almost 400 miles on my DCT. It basically runs at 2 bars most of the time and the fan does not cycle on nearly as often. Also, the engine noises appear to be quieting. As someone suggested, maybe a break-in period might help. Additionally, someone else here suggested it's possible that I may have had a lazy or stuck thermostat. Also, the right side is not as hot now.

I'm really beginning to love this bike, now that things appear to be settling down ( as opposed to my initial dissatisfaction). I really like manually shifting gears, (even my primary car is a stick), but this DCT is just awesome. It can make you lazy in one aspect and exciting and engaging in another. I finally cranked it up a little past 6,500 RPM, now i have over 300 miles break-in, and it's a rocket ship. it shifts so fast, i know I couldn't match it with a manual transmission and clutch. It handles well, feels comfortable and has good quality components. I now feel I made the right choice in my purchase.

I have one final concern for now. As i approach my 600 mile maintenance service, none of the local dealerships have serviced one yet and I just don't know how well trained the techs are on the new VFR1200. Can they remove the fairings without damaging or breaking the retaining clips (to check all the bolts, etc)? Can they service the special DCT filter? How can they quote a price for the service without having completed one yet? Just to support my concerns, my good friend recently purchased a new Yamaha FZ6. It idled at 1500 RPM as opposed to the recommended 1200 RPM. He returned it to the dealership for correction, and after about 2 hours, the service manager informed him that the idle speed was automatically set by the ECM and could not be changed. He returned home, went to the FZ6 forum, and the members told him exactly the location of the idle screw. it took him 15 seconds to set it correctly. This same friend also purchased a new 2010 FJR1300. After completion of the 600 mile service by the dealership, he asked the tech if the differential oil had been changed. The tech quickly informed him that it was not required. so my friend pulled out the owner's manual and showed him that requirement. Needless to say, they had to pull his bike back into the service bay to change the oil. To make a long story short, I'm just cautious and particular when it comes to my bikes. I'm sure there are some good, knowledgeable and honest service shops out there, but I just want to be certain I get what I pay for and minimize return visits for extraneous problems or issues.

Thanks for all for your support and encouragement,

7. Kobe Diesel

Kobe Diesel New Member

Map
    Glad to hear the bike is coming 'round. Don't worry about 1st service of a new bike. These guys deal with new bikes every year. And if they scratch something, make them eat it.

If you want to see how good that dealer is about the details, deflate your tyres 10 pounds less than mfr's spec. Check the tyres before you leave the dealer, and if they're not pumped up, let them hear about it. And if you want to see if they actually changed the oil filter, draw a hash mark on both where the filter & engine mate with a color marker, also take note what kind of filter it is (they should reuse OEM). If it's out of position, then it was changed.

Otherwise, don't fret too much. You're lucky enough to enjoy the latest and greatest!

8. saceur

saceur New Member

Thailand
    Map
    dude you are way to late for that to make it "short":crazy:

The quote is just like any other service "quote" subject to change. If you are that concerned then read your owners manual to see what is required at 600 miles, take pictures of the fairings & clips that need to be removed and take a sharpie and put a small mark on any drain plugs. That way you should be covered if they break or dont replace anything. With the issues you had with that bike, I would have taken it back but if you are happy then it's our bike, enjoy it.

Great idea too

9. Mark 024

Mark 024 New Member

Australia
    Map
    Glad to see you are happier about your purchase. Good luck with the service

10. skivfr1

skivfr1 New Member

You've had you're bike for over 3 weeks and only have 400 miles on it ?? Get out and ride it like you stole it !! I have the manual shift model and it always runs in the 3 bar temp range in everything above 75deg. F. I now have over 4k miles on it and I am completely happy with it !!

11. anbark22

anbark22 New Member

Map
    Well, I got my 600 mile service on Friday. It was basically a glorified oil change and took about an hour. On Saturday, after riding to Daytona, my buddy and I swung back through St. Augustine and stopped by the dealership. We started conversing about oil changes and decided to check ours. Low and behold, my oil sight glass was completely full to the top, well above the maximum oil level. I asked the service writer to check it out, and he agreed it was at the top but informed me that it was OK; because all bikes eventually consume a little oil and that it would be OK (I’ve never had a bike to consume oil between oil changes in the past six years I’ve been riding, and this is my sixth bike). We told him that we were not exactly satisfied with that answer and he proceeded to pull out the service manual and show us the illustration, which fortunately showed the maximum oil level should be at the top line and not completely filling the sight glass.

After debating with him for about 20 minutes, he assured us that the only time to be concerned is when the oil starts to foam, indicating that the crankshaft is churning through too much oil. He also informed us that the technician put in exactly the amount of oil specified in the shop manual. My buddy rebutted and told him that unless all oil was completed drained, then that was fine, however if any remained, even a couple of ounces, then it might lead to overfilling.

To quote page 65 of the owner’s manual; “Do not overfill above the upper level mark”.
    To quote page 66 of the owner’s manual; “NOTICE –
    Overfilling with oil or operating with insufficient oil can cause damage to your engine….”

Talk about customer service…since I was a paying customer that was concerned about the work performed, especially if the owner’s and shop manuals agreed with me, then the service writer (department) would have just pulled the bike in and removed enough oil to bring it within specs. Just that simple. We spent more time debating than would have taken to just remedy the issue. Needless to say, I will not return. Also, I expressed my apprehensions in my earlier posts about good service from dealerships. I don’t think I’m being unreasonable to expect my bike to be within specs.

I may contact Honda Corporate tomorrow to see if they will give me a waiver or something in writing indicating that my bike will be ok and that it will at least last until I pay for it. In the meantime, I’ll just drain a little oil out myself. I hope I can reuse the same crush washer, since I’ll just loosen the drain plug just enough to drain the necessary amount. Not looking to do another full oil change.

12. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    ^^^Definitely contact Honda corperate. Normally I would say that doing so wouldn't get you anywhere, but customer service at the dealership level, especially for a person who has purchased a 16K machine, will be important to them. Even more true when the specifics are as flagrant as they are in your case.

13. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    You might be able to use a clean turkey baster to suck the excess oil from the fill opening.

14. John451

John451 Member

Australia
    Think that makes good sense.

When I first started riding my previous Gen 6 VFR in Jan '04 it was a humid hot summer and when commuting even though early morning on a relatively free moving 40mph densely trafficed freeway in 26C / 80F Degrees the temp gauge would creep up to 108C or more before settling to an even 105C with the fan basically continually on or continually kicking on and off....

At the time a little paniced as this didn't happen on my previous SV650S asked the VFR Forums to be told was perfectly normal for the fully faired VFR ( and Blackbirds ) to run hotter than most other motorcycles in boxed moving traffic and stop looking at the motor Temp unless the Red bar started Flashing then stop immediately but that never happened.

I found the Gen 6s frame got hot next to my right inner thigh in slowish Hot Summers traffic when pressed against the tank especially noticable when wearing Draggin Jeans rather than normal leather pants, this is also true for my current Gen 5 not ridden the Gen 7 but is quite possibly normal if unexpected personally have always attributed this to being a V4 with the rear V4 head very close to the frame next to my inner thigh as hadn't particularly noticed it on earlier IL4s I've ridden, your hot calf may be related the the exhaust or the way the fairing works ?

Will ask an OzVFR mate for his opinion who had previously owned a Gen 5 VFR new in '99, Super Blackbird new in '04 and with us just going into Summer has just traded his '09 R1 ( with 40K kms ) in on a new Gen 7 manual VFR1200F.

15. thepimpdaddy

thepimpdaddy New Member

United States
    Wait, Anbark22 - did you have the dealer do the swarf check? So they must have found no aluminum swarf in your crankcase?

16. alang

alang New Member

Map
    seems like I read the fan comes on early on this bike (122F) to keep the exhaust heat from damaging the fairing. I find on most bikes I own, if I drain some coolant and add back distilled water and a few capfuls of water wetter, they run cooler.

17. jhookjrj

jhookjrj New Member

I bought a used 2010 (13,500mi) and rode it 1000 miles home in some 100+ weather and had no heating issues. (fan on in city traffic and stop signs) Also and th DCT found it better to manually shift at low speeds. Really enjoy DCT in city, even if manually shifting) and during hard acceleration
    with upshifts done manually!

18. lshark

lshark New Member

my 2010 VFR12 will be 2 years old at the end of this month (26,000 miles)...very satisfied !!!!!!!