Just changed the oil on my 2003 VFR 800

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by Skot_2003_VFR800, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Skot_2003_VFR800

Skot_2003_VFR800 New Member

United States
    Map
    I was getting tired of trying to find a shop that could change the oil on my bike for less than $100 and same day. I bought the oil and filter, a crush washer, and got to work. Holy crap. I've never had a faired bike before and it is a bit of a bitch to get off. I only broke one clip and add that to the missing one out of two under the bike, I now am missing a total of two clips. I got the oil maybe a smidge too full, but it looks to be more just up to the line on the center stand. For my first time it took me about an hour and fifteen minutes using the tools provided on the bike. I did not use a filter wrench, just good old moxy and my hands. I feel accomplished, but would seriously consider paying someone about $60 to do it for me next time.

:courage:

2. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    Congrats on getting your hands dirty!

TIP: put a long zip tie through the two bottom holes that hold the two fairing halves together. Just cut it off next time~

Where in VA? I'm in Spotsylvania. Just got back from a 6-hour ride over to Shenandoah today!

3. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    In charlottesville. rode up to Wayneboro (about 25-30mi) to get the oil and putted around the countryside for an hour or so. Put about 75 miles on her today. Will be getting new tires soon, so I cannot really safely get out for the long trips. What kind of mileage you getting? I just got 29 mgp after I changed the map in my Power Commander to a generic website one and have run through a couple tanks of seafoam (the previous owner had let it sit a few months and it had some bad gas in it). Maybe after a tune-up she will get a bit better mileage.

4. bitterpil

bitterpil New Member

United States
    Map
    That is poor mileage. You'll get used to pulling the faring even the lil clips. Search the many oil threads here. Lots of oil and filter choices out there.
    To avoid over filling in the future, fill to the lower line in sight glass run it up to temp. Shut the bike down let it sit for 30 and top off. Fill to about the midpoint between the two lines.
    Save your cash for other bits.

Three Va VFR riders in a row in a thread

5. TNRabbit

TNRabbit New Member

Map
    That IS terrible mileage. I was getting as high as 54 mpg last summer, but so far this spring I've only gotten around 40-42. Been hammering it pretty hard, though~

Time to check for computer codes.

6. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    Good idea about the zip tie-its impossible to a fairing off and not screw up those bottom cheapo plastic screws-who needs them any way-extra weight. One top fairing bolt screw fell off-I am going to zip tie that-I have on R+B sliders that lock the plastic on real good. I took my carbon canister off too-sitting in the closet now. I use a extra long pur oil filter. I will bet you over filled it-I know I did that stupid window is impossible to see right unless its on the center stand that I refuse to use unless someone helps me:hss::pirate::soap:

7. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    Like i said, if I overfilled it, it is only just a smidge. Also, thinking I should change the power commander to the zero map and see if that improves the mileage. And hopefully getting a tune up will not hurt anything.

8. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    Please dare to mention what oil you chose, and be prepared to defend that choice over hundreds of riders offering better advice............ :nelson:

9. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    No, i won't accept that !! It's a great feeling of confidence (not to mention manliness) to be able to get your bike up by yourself, anytime. It IS possible for just about anyone, you simply haven't discovered the best technique yet.

10. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't have a flat floor, but I will try again somewhere flat-I never had a center stand before. I have got it on the center stand a few times, but not without someone else. I guess I will be a girl for a while like private Manning. I study this problem

11. highway star

highway star New Member

United States
    Map
    Yea, it's a shame we have to take the fairing apart just to get at the oil filter.
    I've always used OEM filter & oil from the local dealer. Have never gotten a quote from them for an oil change
    but now curious & will ask next time I'm in there. I'll always do it myself, sure they will scratch up stuff.
    A short stubby phillips screwdriver is useful for pushing in on the clips to release.

12. nearfreezing

nearfreezing New Member

United States
    Map
    Congrats on doing the oil change. It sucks to lose pieces, but it happens and they can be replaced for a few dollars. The oil change can be a bit intimidating for someone who hasn't removed the fairings and due to the recessed position of the oil filter, but it will go much more quickly and smoothly the second time.

Regarding the 29mpg fuel economy... that definitely doesn't sound right. VFR riders average about 40mpg. Even in cold weather, the fuel economy should be in the mid 30s. It is possible the thermostat is stuck open (common VFR800 problem). Keep an eye on the coolant temperature. When the motorcycle is warmed up, the coolant temp should stay above about 168.

The local shop quoted me $150 for a VFR oil change ($50 for oil + filter and $100 for 1 hour of labor).

13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Those clips are a real pain. You wil loose and more likely break more. The OEM are stupid expensive. You can get aftermarket, package of 10 for what you pay for one OEM. I get mine on line from Bolt Fasteners. The are a tighter fit but far better design.

What is starting to happen with age, mileage and weather elements, the well nuts are starting to spin loose now when trying to remove the fairing bolts. Threads are getting a little rough from all the wet I suppose. I suggest a couple small drops of a quality lube like Tri-Flo on the thread of the bolt before reinstall of the fairing bolts. Hopefully that will solve that issue cause if they start to spin on removal, some can be just a bitch to get off.

14. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    The thermostat seems okay. Runs to about 215-220, fan kicks on and doesn't go above that. I really think it's a combo of needing a tune up (plugs, air filter, etc.) and the Power Commander. I am planning to try a "0" map on it to see what the stock ECU will do for me mileage wise.

15. Skot_2003_VFR800

United States
    Map
    All the bolts came off okay. One bolt on top of the fairing (the one just under the left handlebar) has some sort of rubber threaded anchoring system that came out. I put that back best I could, but I'm sure the dealer will make it all right when they take her apart in a couple of weeks.

16. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I don't bother being too fancy as the VFR is a very great bike and actually very cheap to run too, everything is fairly easy to fix-just don't fix without the info:funky::vtr2::jaw:

17. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

I get those fasteners locally at Napa, part number is 665-3085 they come eight in a package for about $6. I think they are something like $3.50 ea. at the dealer. Like you said they are a bit tight but maybe some KY lube would help, or a tiny round file to the hole, in any case I won't be supporting the dealer for these again.
    John

18. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Skot. Those rubber things you speak of are well nuts. They too wear out and need replacing from time to time. Also readily availble all over much cheaper than OEM. Just realize new, they look much different, long and thin, while once used they become squat. I am just saying a couple drops of oil on the bolt threads may prevent you from speaking ill of them, in a very colourful manner, later.

Those aftermarket clips though, are the cats ass as far as I am concerned. Mine are center push button type. Those Nappa ones I've never seen but will check them out when I next need some.

19. Outboard John

Outboard John New Member

I think we are talking about the same type Randy.
    PS, thanks for the patch, looks great on my jacket:hi2:

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread.
    John

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map