Kansas Girl

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by A.M, Oct 18, 2015.

1. A.M

A.M Moderator Staff Member

Thank you, Knight, for your complex response with so much helpful information!

This is going to come in handy!

Yes, I'm so happy with my choice in the VFR and a white one at that! There are 6,500 miles on the bike, but will go up fast so having the valve inspection will be needed soon. Especially if I undergo another long trip in the next summer or two.

I did 7,000 miles to Gaspe Peninsula in two weeks, so I could easily hit 16k in the next couple of seasons.

I am intimidated with the electrical, but I'm very determined to learn all I can in taking care of the bike myself.

Living in Kansas is quiet and peaceful for the most part...even in Wichita. But interesting rides are not easily found here. But being in the center of the country is helpful as there are travel choices all around us for short or long rides! :)

2. A.M

Thanks for the welcome, thecat!

After all the suggestions and reading more about lowering the bike this week, I decided to attack the seat itself last night. I'll post more about that.
    I was very concerned about lowering the bike, affecting the handling, and having the potential load amount affected. I will be doing long camping rides and I didn't like the thought of worrying about bottoming out when loaded with gear.

But as you mentioned, I gained more than an inch by shaving the seat and the sides.

It was dark by time I put the seat back on last night. But after riding today, I am so pleased with the results!
    I also feel more set in with the bike instead of feeling I was riding on top of it. The cg has changed which makes me feel more one with the bike. I cannot flat foot, but I am on the ball of my foot and can already maneuver the bike better.

Thank you for the suggestions of what I may be able to try next. I'll ride her as is and get the feel for her now before making any changes. :)

3. thecat

thecat New Member

You are welcome. I am pleased step one has worked. I am not a fan of lowering bikes via the suspension links. My last bike a 1250 Suzuki bandit was lowered like that and bought it because I could flatfoot it. But on the first ride with my wife pillioning and the shock preload set close to max, the bike bottomed out when it hit a dip on a straight at 110 kmh. Sheer luck that dip wasn't before or mid corner. It would have been interesting. I got rid of the lowering link the next day and reverted to stock.
    Now you can play with the suspension settings. And raise the forks. That will net you another half inch at least. These will not affect your load capacity or reduce ground clearance to an unacceptable extent. I have yet to ground anything through a corner even at a fairly frisky speed.
    If you can, search you tube for Japanese policemen and women undergoing trials. One of the men is also tip toes on the bike but it doesn't bother him in the least. I got inspired watching those videos.

4. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    Welcome Anne.Marie. For my wife (she is 5'4") we did two things for getting her off her tiptoes on her 2008 VFR. First we sent the seat to Spencers Motorcycle Seats and they did an inexpensive seat mod which has helped a lot not only with lowering the seat but also with it's comfort. Follow link http://greatdaytoride.com/Home_Page.php

Second she bought a pair of Daytona Lady Star GTX boots. They come with a 2 cm insert. Making them a high heel on the inside, while looking like a regular boot on the outside. They are a bit pricey but there are a lot of great attributes to these boots other than the insert.

5. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Is the ride noticeably harsher with the shaved seat? If you have good roads this question may seem strange, but here it is bump city.

6. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    I think that depends on how it was done. For my wife she said that the seat cushion improved greatly but she also had the Supercore added. See earlier link. She has done nearly 500 miles in a day with out sore but or inner tight issues.

As part of the lower mod she also had the seat narrowed slightly. The narrowing decreases the angle of the leg to the ground giving the feeling of longer legs because they are closer to the bike instead of spread out.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
  7. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    Maybe me but I had trouble finding specifics on the site. I am guessing Supercore is one of his harder materials?

8. grabcon

grabcon New Member

United States
    Map
    My bad it is Supracor.

What is Supracor: Supracor is the new material that has replaced Flex Gel and is added to your seat in the "LD" (longer distance) upgraded modification. It is a "honeycomb" of thermoplastic urethane material that was developed for aerospace and medical applications where a form fitting, supportive,flexible, breathable, and shock reducing surface is needed. (please see the Supracor detail photo on the Gallery page) It is nothing like the normal gel pads used in most other motorcycle seats, it is not a solid block of material, it is "breathable", does not hold heat, it does not harden in cold weather, it is much lighter, more flexible and durable. It is used between the seat pan and reshaped seating surface to create "suspension" in the skeletal contact area, increasing comfort, reducing vibration, soaking up shock, and reducing fatigue. Supracor has the same benefits of the previously used Flex gel but is newer technology, much lighter in weight actually allowing your seat to be lighter after modification. It also allows more flexibility in application, allowing it to be used in even the thinnest sport bike seats. Its higher cell density also helps to eliminate any floating or rebounding feeling so that unlike the Flex Gel it can be used in passenger seats and the passenger sections of single piece seats. *For a full detail of the Supracor material please go

http://greatdaytoride.com/Supracor.html

9. A.M

Awwsome, thanks for the welcome and for sharing how your wife has tackled better footing. I'll look into those boots...spending some extra money on a good pair is better in the long run, imo.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

10. A.M

Good question! No, it doesn't seem more bumpy. I like how I feel more in line with the tank and more one with the bike, and maybe that has to do with not noticing more bumps. That stock seat was hard, and shaving it didn't change that. I do not feel anything but the seat and mah tock. Lolz

11. A.M

Same here...although I did not have anything added to the seat. Taking away a bunch of the inner part of the seat really helped. The seat was so wide and dug into my inner thighs that I didn't feel I was hugging g the sides of the bike right. Now, it feels more like I'm used to with my old CBR600f4. And like your wife, I could easily do 500+ miles on it per day. Now I feel I could do that on the VFR as well.