killer highside pic

Discussion in 'Trips & Events' started by RonJohn, Apr 11, 2010.

1. RonJohn

RonJohn New Member

2. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    ouch but it looks like the guy was ok

3. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    nasty highside. nice hi res pics.

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Are we missing something here?

"Crashes
    Motorcycle crashes are usually one of two types: lowsides and highsides. A lowside is when the motorcycle falls onto the side closest to the ground. Lowsides are mostly caused by the front tire losing grip, usually from cornering too sharply or using too much front brake. A highside is when a motorcycle flips in the opposite direction of the turn. Highsides occur from the back tire losing grip, starting to spin and slide, and then suddenly achieving grip which, in turn, catapults the rider off of the motorcycle into the air."

5. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    maybe you didn't finish watching it or it's early and I don't understand your question? It was a slide show and showed a highside exactly like you described with rear tire loosing traction.

6. Badbilly

United States
    Not my discription. I got that from a racing site. Basic rule is when something in quotation marks, it's a quote.

Maybe the server is down, the net is sluggish or who knows? I got one still and that was it.

The rear tire loosing traction is the precursor to the rear tire regaining traction causing the "highside." On rare ocassions this also happens on flat tracks near the outside wall in the marbles and the ass end of the bike touches the wall stopping the controlled drift generally past the apex. On ocassion this can also occur in the groove most frequently on tracks having high clay fractions or high fractions of decomposed marble.

I'll check it out later.

Hopefully this will not turn into one of "those" threads where the contest is to see who can show the most blood and guts, guys getting snuffed in cars and on bikes and more to why shit like this happens.

Both lowsides and highsides are a real good reason Pike's Peak is run from the bottom to the top.

7. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    At first glance it looks like he just got on it too soon. However, on the second watch you can see debris , including some decent sized rocks, all over the place. Maybe he should ask for his track fees back. I know I'd be pissed if I payed a $100 plus to get on to a dirty ring. Or maybe it's just his bike getting ripped apart.

8. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    ^^^^^

The rider is on a bad line in an off cambor turn. His SV starts to slide, he chops the throttle and off he goes.

The track is clean.

BZ

9. RonJohn

RonJohn New Member

10. Badbilly

United States
    Sure is a a highside. Part of the backstory might be that the track has new asphalt that might not be cured yet.

11. drewl

drewl Insider

United States
    Map
    It actually is a good step by step of a high side. Lots of slides to fill in the spots that are usually blurry.
    The last pic is nice to show the rider is at least upright following the incident.

So...any good tips on how to hopefully recover before going over?

12. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Member

United States
    Map
    Don't chop the throttle, stay relaxed (i.e no death grip on bars) and continue to look through the turn and let the bike do its slide.

At this time, I've only had one rear end slide on the track so I am anything but an expert.

But I can say Keith Codes advice was correct. The bike started to slide in turn 5 at NJMP-Lightning. I was very relaxed, kept looking through the turn and 'maintained' on the throttle. The bike did its little slide, self corrected itself, I stood the bike up coming off the turn and got on the throttle.

Just like Code said, The bike will correct itself if you let it.

Now the rest of the day Turn 5 spooked me really bad and I had a hard time going through the turn with any good consistancy LOL!

There is mucho info out their on what to and what not to do when your motorcycle tires slide.

BZ

13. Badbilly

United States
    BZ nails it. Don't chop the throttle. Learning Torque 101 the hard way ain't fun. From a couple of posts on the site. The rider is OK stating he was not going that fast but it's gonna cost him 3k to get the bike back up.

When spit off like that the big boys,most of whom work out and have reflexes we mere mortals don't have, seem to favor sliding on their backs if possible.

Never have done this on asphalt but have had guys go down if front of me on the ovals. They hit the panic button, chop the throttle, go down and a few get run over if in a tight pack.

Thank the Lord for my GPS, my TeeVee set tuned to Oprah, my cellphone/Ipod/20mmp camera with video, radar detector and XTRALARGE gas tank that prevents me from highsiding and focuses my attention on riding.

Anybody here know a good streaming site to listen to Rush when I go back and forth to WalMart?

AMEN.

14. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    you just cant stay on topic..focus billy....... forget about all the electronic garbage people use and stay on topic... and yes the gas tank is not electric... I know

15. Badbilly

United States
    Well gosh almighty there Krispy, I thought we had all pretty much agreed that the guy highsiding was not fun and that the pix were spectacular. Are you on some new meds , just venting or do you just think the ignorant leading the unfocused is some kind of original idea?

16. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    Thank the Lord for my GPS, my TeeVee set tuned to Oprah, my cellphone/Ipod/20mmp camera with video, radar detector and XTRALARGE gas tank that prevents me from highsiding and focuses my attention on riding.

Anybody here know a good streaming site to listen to Rush when I go back and forth to WalMart? "

this statemant is relevant to the topic how? Thats all I was saying....... and yeah the pictures were spectacular and the highside was not fun that part is true......stay focused

17. Badbilly

United States
    Some folks do not comprehend abstractions. Some do. Some folks do not comprehend satire. Some do.

Some folks live their whole lives with their metaphoric heads up their metphoric asses. Some don't.

My observation is that you lie in the realm of the former.

So do you really have three sets of Aerostitchs ? Try to focus on that question and the answer if you haven't forgotten.

18. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    douche bag
    douche bag, I never said I had three sets of aerostitch.....I have three sets of full gear.. one Dianese, one set of HJC and a set of Joe rocket. I'm kinda creeped out that you are concerned about what gear I am wearing, didn't think you cared.

So tell me. what does people riding around with Ipods, GPS cell phones , Etc.. have to do with a guy that showed a video of a highside on a track? focus on that question you run around turd.

19. Badbilly

United States
    Oh fooey! I thought the thread was about Aerostitch and not what you had. I was all ready to congratulate you for a great choice in gear. Now I'll just have to forget it since you just told me what you really have. Before this question passes, yes, I have the two piece suit. It's about fifteen years old and still truckin. I have been thinking about either sending it back in to Aerostitch for a new Ultrasuede collar liner or just sewing some in myself. I guess I can't ask for your expert opinion on that. Rats! foiled again..

As I stated, some folks do not understand abstractions. Sometimes it's wise to think about what we say rather than just blurt out whatever shallow thought is current. Try it sometime. If this meets with some success consider that everyone is not shallow and may have more going on than you may think. I use the term think loosely since most of what you do is react.

Do that and just maybe the supposed contradiction that is vexing you will disappear. Maybe try some of the dudes on this very site that have the time to add to your education and have greater empathy than me.

20. crustyrider

crustyrider New Member

Map
    its not what you write Billy that vexes me...in all honesty.. if you up and died tomorrow I would give a shit....I would piss on your grave, and really I am writing this in a calm manner so no you haven't pissed me off. I have sorrow for you. sorrow in that you have to come onto a forum and act like your a know it all blah blah blah, what you see as "humor" pisses people off, you have been this way since you crawled out of what ever hole you were in and joined up. .why don't you just take a leap off of the tallest building that you can find or just go away.....cause you sure don't have a lot of friends around here.....

Sorry for the thread jack.

Bubba what you said was exactly what the rider said, "But as you can see on the photos, I didn't let off the gas, and I didn't loose sight of my corner exit, even when I could sense that something wasn't right.

If you look at the photos, you can also see I got into an area of the track that had a bunch of fine dust on it. I think that contributed more to the break away than anything else.

And sometimes, no amount of weighting the outside peg is going to save a highside, even if you don't let off the gas. Even the pros with traction control get higsided from time to time. IMHO, once it's as sideways as my bike was, the odds are nothing is going to save it, and the best thing you can do is focus on mitigate the damages to your body when you land on the ground."

This was just a comment he made about the wreck on his forum Triumph675.net