KN-204 oil filter broke

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Big_Panda, Jul 27, 2016.

1. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    sow, the oil change interval is every 8K miles, why do you keep changing the oil?

2. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    It's over the two lines-means some has to come out- I us a spray sucker to do that-till its perfect-just at the top line

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    If I waited til 8k miles the vfr would be running like crap after 3k miles- I am using racing Castrol rt which should be changed more often, anyway-I noticed a big improvement after the oil change even though its a bit over filled-I take some more out with my spray sucker-BB is just a copy of the spray sucker.

4. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    uhh, no. Actual lab results have shown no significant break down in oil quality between 3k and the suggested interval of 8K (which is for most vehicles)

You're just generating extra waste oil and pouring your money down the toilet.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

5. Allyance

Allyance Insider

United States
    Map
    You are using a FULL synthetic, (although not Amsoil, who first developed it!), since full synthetics do not contain the viscosity polymers that breakdown the minute you start using them, you can get more than the 8K recommend by Honda without any warranty problems (15K in one year!). If you were using a synthetic blend, then the change interval would be shorter. Gladly supply you independent laboratory test to save you money.

How many miles do year ride in one season?

[​IMG]

6. NormK

NormK New Member

At least SOW is not talking about mixing his own special mix of oil these days

7. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Lol, I forgot about that.

8. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    :tiger:10-40 rt Castrol, this time due to the heat, I am very picky about changing oil, clean stuff all ways+ look for other problems at same time
    My 2006 runs perfect with 12000 miles, I got it at 4600 miles, a real nice bike, absolutely perfect when I finish any thing,
    Great wolf has spoken:moony:

9. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    this is bullshit ? Why does the the bike run better after a oil change that you can really feel? Because it works better-doo doo!

10. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    If ya think about it he should be changing his oil every three years or more since he admitted to only riding 1000 miles a year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    Assuming you did an oil change when you first bought it (you probably did 5, but that's besides the point),

Your bike isn't even due for the 2nd change yet.

12. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    like I said earlier, he's using the wrong product.

VP Preservative Oil 10 is recommended for use to prevent rust and corrosion in engines, gear boxes and other closed systems that will be stored for periods up to one year or more.

VP Preservative Oil 10 is a rust preventive oil that prevents the rust and corrosion of all metal surfaces to which it is applied. In addition, it fills any closed spaces with vapors to prevent rust and corrosion of surfaces not contacted by the oil.

The vapors from VP Preservative Oil 10 form a monomolecular layer on all metal surfaces. This layer passifies the metal surface to prevent rust and corrosion. Since VP Preservative Oil 10 is used in closed systems the protective layer is constantly maintained. The length of time the protection continues depends upon how well sealed the closed system is and how much temperature-induced “breathing” of the system occurs.

sow, your 12,000 mile bike runs perfect because it's a 12,000 mile bike, not because of all the random oil you've been pouring in there. It's basically still a new vehicle.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  13. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Jiminny Crickets that's a lot of miles. I just passed that last year, I think, on my 06. Second time.

14. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I think I have solved a mystery. It looks like K and P Engineering is actually the manufacturer of BOTH Scotts and Flo Oil filters. I contacted them and waiting on a reply but I am 99% sure they are the exact same thing.

http://kandpengineering.com/

15. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    The Flo Oli filter on Amazon is only 89 and free shipping. FYI

16. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Nice detective work there Shaggy! I'd offer you a scooby snack but Scubalong ate them all! :wink:

17. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    Hold the presses! Just spoke to an engineer at K and P engineering. They do make the Scotts filter but NOT the Flo Oil. The guy was very transparent with information and told me that Flo Oil basically stole their design in 1998 and added the nut to the end. He did not get into the legalities but from what I can read between the lines there was a law suite. Anyways K&P is the real deal and they serve the aviation industry, FAA certified for Challenger Aviation and has a big presence in industrial vehicles and a lot of diesel engines. They are really big in off road motorcycle racing too with desert racers using them a lot. He said they did extensive testing on FLo oils and that they found them to pass particals as large as 95 microns, had problems with the glue that the filter was built with that failed at high temps and their magnets were not consistent sizes and weak. There are test results that can be looked up if we are interested. He told me that some of the race guys as he called them were putting K&P inner filter into the Flo oil housing because of the drilled nut. They copied it so closely that it works. He also talked about how the differential pressure is so important especially upon startup of a cold engine. Theirs flow at 1 pound where paper is near 25 on startup. Much better for your crank bearings I bet. So it looks like the Scotts and K&P are the way to go if your going for the reusable filter route.

18. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    And as Billy says "This is not a plug for Scotts". lol

19. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    I ride a lot just short trips 3,000-3,500 -not a lot -those are hard miles however. I work 7 days a week-I don't take vacation every other day like you guys do.

20. duccmann

duccmann Member

United States
    Map
    Hard mile on a gallon and a half of gas...
    shit....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk