KN-204 oil filter broke

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Big_Panda, Jul 27, 2016.

1. OOTV

OOTV Insider

They're hard because it's tough for him to keep upright!

2. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    sow, those stop and go short rides are what kills engines. I think you need to up the oil maintenance. Those short rides don't give condensation a chance to boil out from the crankcase. Get a 50 gallon drum of that Royal Purple preservative stuff. After every ride, drain out the Castrol and fill the bike with the preservative. This will help keep the engine shiny and free of corrosion. Before the next ride, drain the VP 10 and flush with a minimum of 10 qts of Castrol. Then refill with a fresh 3.3452 qts of Castrol and new filter. After ride, repeat with Royal Purple Preservative.

3. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    When I go the req distance to warm up the engine most of the time, it warms up much faster than a car. The oil could have gone more but I did a few other things too.

4. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I talked to PC racing about their filters and discussed what K&P said. Again from what I can tell they both are mum on copy-write infringement but K&P di start in 95, Flo Oil in 98. He said that a lot of people who do their research often hear that K&P will try and trash on Flo oil. The funny thing is that both companies get their filter material from the exact same supplier and the specs are the same for both. K&P is a large company that makes filters for a giant number of commercial applications where PC Racing only does a small business in bikes and racing. Not sure if the magnets are stronger on the K&P but the actual filter is the same. Difference is the nut on the Flo Oil.
    FYI

5. sportcruiser

sportcruiser New Member

United States
    Map
    I had read about issues with the K&N and dismissed them until the second one I used leaked. I just went back to the Hinda filter. No leaks.

6. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    What makes absolutely NO SENSE to me is that big panda replaced his failed K&N filter with the same brand !!!!!

WHY ?