Laconia New Hamshire

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by Guest, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A bunch of us are going from New York to Lincoln New Hamshire then to the race a Laconia the weekend of 14th june. Does anyone know a good route to take up there? Does anyone know some good roads to ride in the area we are staying? If anyone could help out I would be greatfull our friend that knows the roads just from riding them cannot make it his mother just passed away and he doesn't know all the names of the roads to tell us where to go. Thanks for your help.

2. 92yellowveefer

92yellowveefer New Member

Map
    I lived in NH for 15 years, and have friends still up in the Lakes Region.
    There are a couple of problems you'll need to deal with: 1. unless you are traveling on a weekday, there are no good routes to get there. Lincoln is a bit easier since it's not exactly next to Laconia or Loudon. Depends on where in NY you're coming from mostly. You'll want to mapquest this - but here's what I would do.
    If you're coming in from the west via Mass Pike, best bet is to take Rt 91 north into Vermont. Once you get to Brattleboro you can cross over into NH - follow the river north on Rte 9 until you get to Rte 63. Take Rt 63 north until it becomes Rt 12. Follow Rt 12 all the way up into White River Junction.
    Then head east on Rt 89 until you get to Rt 4 PAST Lebanon. Don't take the first exit for Rt 4 - you'll have to ride through Lebanon center, which is no fun. There's a second exit for Rt 4 (I believe it's 4 east).
    Take 4 into Canaan where you'll hook up with Rt 118 North - and then you'll stay on 118 north until you merge with Rt 112 the "Kancamagus Highway" which goes east into Lincoln Center.
    When staying in Lincoln - eat at least one night at the "Common Man". And for Pizza, there's a place called Elvios that serves up a great NY style think crust pizza - my dad worked on Wall Street when I was a kid - I know what good NY pie is like.
    BTW - the Kancamagus runs east out of Lincoln all the way over to Conway, which is en route to Weirs beach.
    The "Kanc" is one of the best rides you will EVER find - as long as the frost heaves are gone and the state isn't repaving.
    BTW - the races are in Loudon - not Laconia. They are actually about 20 miles apart. If you don't want to get into the whole Laconia traffic mess - and I do mean mess - especially on the weekends - you can follow old "Rt 3" south into Ashland, then merge with Rt 132 which goes south all the way to Loudon (cut east on Hoit Rd/Rt 129 to Rte 106 - speedway is on Rt 106).
    All great country back roads with little to no traffic, lights or stop signs.
    At least that's the way they used to be - been quite a few years since I've ridden them though.
    Good luck - ride safe - and please post some details once you get back.