leaking waterpump

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by GixrFixr, Mar 28, 2009.

1. GixrFixr

GixrFixr New Member

United States
    Hey everybody, still doing maintennance on my 2001 i bought last fall, i notice there is a slow coolant leak from the bottom of the pump cover, maybe 3 or 4 drops per day. The Haynes manual says this indicates the internal seal is shot, the seal is non-replaceable, so replace the whole pump. Bike has only 13K miles, does this sound feasible?

2. KingTito

KingTito New Member

Did a search and found this attempted thread so I thought I would restart it instead of reposting.

I have a 1999 that I bought last year, fully sorted out. Cleaned up everything, changed all fluids, just finishing up the chain.

I cleaned the inside of the fairings so they are spotless.

Pulled the left to change the chain. Noticed a little drip mark correponding to the water pump.

After I ride, I can wipe underneath the water pump and there will be a little coolant weepage.

Looks like it would just be the cover and that gasket right? I shouldn't have to replace the whole water pump.

Thanks!

3. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

There are two seals to the water pump. one for the two sections that are bolted together, and the one for the shaft that cannot be replaced. if the leak is coming from in between the two sections that are bolted together then you can replace the seal. if the leak is coming from a round hole that is more towards the inside of the engine then it is the shaft seal of the pump and you will need a new pump.

4. KingTito

KingTito New Member

Thanks! It would appear to just be from the cover on the left side of the engine. So, I assume I just drain the coolant from the drain plug right there, pop that cover off, replace the gasket, and see what happens, right?

Would replacing the water pump be prudent since I'm there? Given the low mileage and the ease of draining the coolant and doing this all over again should I have to, I would figure not.

5. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    Water pump

I have a gen 5 water pump with about 14,000 miles on it and it is good shape. You are welcome to it for the cost of postage.

6. Bryan Chandler

Bryan Chandler New Member

United States
    Still have it? lol

7. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    No, parted that thing almost a decade ago.