Lessening the crouch for distance riding

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by G1200RS, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Sniper

Sniper New Member

United States
    Back to the orginal question......

I thought Honda made a set of higher "bars". Or go with HeliBars. My used bike came with a set of NT650 bars on it. Those work very well.

I will agree most bikes get over modded. But when it comes to making one a bit more comfy, Go for it.

And to the little SpitFire Gal, and the 70somethings, I have the utmost respect. Ride On.

2. JasonWW

JasonWW New Member

United States
    Map
    I've got a much older vfr, but I did try a lot of things on it.

I tried lowering pegs along with adjusting both shifter and brake, but it didn't really help with the main area which was the leaning forward, strain on the back. They also touched the ground sooner, and just felt weird, I took them off.

What did help was raising the bars. I converted from clip ons to a one piece bar with universal risers. I guess I'm about 4" higher and a little backwards. This was a huge improvement in riding position. Less strain on the back and wrists. This much rise needs extended cables, hoses and wires, so not an easy mod, but worth it.

Then for freeway riding I added the bigger, touring version of the X-creen along with some added side deflectors. When I get off the freeway and it's a hot day, I just fold down the screen to get good airflow on my chest.

Now the limiting factor is the seat, I need to reshape the seat foam for more comfort. Then I should be able to ride all day. Lol

[​IMG]

3. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I found the risers that are supposedly OEM parts for $50 on a website claiming to sell Honda OEM accessories. May be worth looking into. I just googled "2014 Vfr800 accessories"

4. fink

fink Member

United Kingdom
    Map
    This may be of some interest to you.

http://cycle-ergo.com

Also remember with the Vfr you can alter the seat height. I don't know what it was set at when you had a go.

5. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    I adjusted the bracket to lower the seat. But it seems that the rear of the seat is the lowered part. I am a more forward rider closer to the tank. I am 5' 8 and an inseam of 29". I think that I have the forward catch on the seat hitting correctly, but I don't seem to have a better position with either adjustment. I may be just an idiot. I will see when I get the bar risers, but they only look like they raise the height and do not decrease the rider in the forward lean. I had the Suzuki Sv1000s and those bar risers both increased bar height and reduced forward lean as well. My main concern is the Knees. I have bad ones and being a hefty 215lb short, fat, bald guy the Sv had a better Rider up feel. ;-)

6. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    What adjustment do you need to make in detail if you would describe. Thank you. Mike D.

7. ALAN553

ALAN553 New Member

United States
    Map
    If knees are the problem you would most likely need to raise the seat to take the increased flexion out of the knee and the hips...the risers will move the bars rearward in proportion to the rise and the rake of the fork they mount on. Aside from the seats rear bracket there are two collars on the front of the seat that need to be removes to lower the seat. If you refer to page 91 of your manual you can co confirm all of this.

8. thecat

thecat New Member

There a couple of metal bungs at the underside of the front of the seat that need to be removed to lower the seat properly fore and aft. Just wondering if you also removed them beside lowering the rear bracket.
    Personally, as a shortie, I tried various combinations, lowering the seat, making my own spacers to raise the handle bars -- each and together gave different feel to the bike -- but I have now settled on high seat position and handlebars at stock height -- best control feel and lowest body fatigue.

9. Bubba Utah

Bubba Utah Member

Map
    Thanks for that. I see your point on ergonomics, I was just trying to get my feet on the ground. I ordered the bar risers and will be going on a 500mile ride so I will see what that adds.Thanks again, Mike D.