Let the farkling begin!

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Dangerous Dave, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Dangerous Dave

Dangerous Dave New Member

PM sent....

2. Artie2011

Artie2011 New Member

Hey I put the Corbin heated seat on my bike and have had it over a year. Overall it wasn't too bad. I too needed a back rest for my wife and overall it's not a bad purchase. I did buy the Honda bags and top box so I have multiple configurations depending on what I plan to do at any given time. I added the Honda Tank Bag, awesome!! Like you I like to modify until it's just soo, but there's still not a lot available for the new VFR1200. I'm down in Cincinnati so if you get down this way let me know, like to see all your modifications and such.

3. Dangerous Dave

Likewise, I'd like to see that Corbin in person! My daughter lives in Florence, so I do pass through Cinci every few weeks. You ever get up Dayton way??

4. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Many of the cookie cutter seats look great. The same could be said of a Ferrari made of lime jello and chunks of canned pineapple.

5. Dangerous Dave

Got the C/F fender extender installed today. It pained me to drill holes in the front fender. I pondered trying silicone adhesive or 3M 2-sided tape. But I know myself, and I know I'd just worry about it falling off without a "mechanical" connection. So three holes, three pop rivets, and three flat washers later, it's a done deal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They sure do make the stock fender short. You almost wonder what it's even doing there as short as it is.

6. Artie2011

Artie2011 New Member

Probably keeps the crap from coming up through the hole in front of us!! I didn't add one yet, but am considering it.

7. Artie2011

Artie2011 New Member

I'm on a late shift for the next week or so, but we could arrange to meet up somewhere in the Dayton area in a few weeks, perhaps on a Saturday.

8. Dangerous Dave

Sure, just let me know when your schedule frees up.

9. Dangerous Dave

Yikes! I've been working on my Tankslapper full body kit on my lunch hours for several days. The "Tankslapper" film that you get for the tank itself is pretty easy to work with. But the "3M" film that you get for the front body portions is an absolute nightmare to work with. I do all kinds of clear appliques` on new cars at wok, but none of them are as tough to work with as the 3M stuff. It took most of my lunch hour to do the nose piece yesterday, and all of my lunch hour today to do the two pieces that cover the headlight! It's not flawless, but it's not bad. I think all I have left is three pieces for the front fender, and two pieces for the tips of the front fairing. No wonder people who do this for a living charge so much. Anybody else tried this? That 3M film is so damn tough, and you have to stretch it a LOT to get around the compound curves (like the tip of the headlight). Tankslapper recommends hot water (125*F - 145*F) to make the film more workable, but that's a tall order. I've been using a hairdryer to warm the film. It definitely helps, but man this is some tough shit!

Also just checked package tracking and my LED/HID stuff is now in the country, so I suspect I'll see it yet this week. Anxious to see that stuff.

On the downside, I just filled the tank for the second time since purchase and I'm absolutely floored at how bad the fuel economy is. This thing gets worse fuel mileage than my Scion xD! The low fuel warning started blinking at 110 miles! I filled up at 122 miles and it took 4.2 gallons to fill it back up. That's 29 MPG, and I had a measly half gallon left with only 122 miles on the tankful! Seriously??? I know I've been running it pretty hard, but no harder than I ran my FJR and even that pig could get 36 MPG on a bad day. I can't even believe this. How the fuck are you supposed to take this thing touring?? I guess you carry extra fuel with you? Damn, I hope it improves with more miles and warmer temps. This absolutely sucks.

10. MiddleTBabb

MiddleTBabb New Member

United States
    Map
    Who buys a seat to look at it anyway? Cheers

11. Elkwood

Elkwood New Member

United States
    Map
    I got piss poor mileage on my first 1k miles. I think it averaged out to around 29 mpg. Lately i been getting around 35ish. Really surprised me at how bad the mileage is around town. It goes way up once i am out on the open road.

12. Badbilly

United States
    I'm thinking that this may be the very 1200 that Alaskan is going to buy for even less than 8k.

13. Badbilly

United States
    Harleydoods?

14. Dangerous Dave

Not a chance.

15. Badbilly

United States
    He can't have mine either. SOL I guess.

16. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    I hate Mike Corbin as much as I detest Apple Products. I do need to step up to the 21st century and get an Android Phone though, just so I wont be outa-t0uch...

I take the fork reflectors off every bike I owned as for the rear ones if they unbolt, they go!!!

Two up rides are fun if the wife lets you go over 75mph, in my case, its clear that I need to shift into sixth gear and then we settle into the geriatric speed. Two up aint my cup-ah-tea anymore :sad: anywhoooooOOOOOOoooooo

17. ignoreance

ignoreance New Member

Dave check your Tire pressure run them hard side at 40psi the Stock 21's tires are fine at that pressure you mileage will come way up. They are a dual comp tires. So if you start to lean it over it gets into the soft stuff. The Front I think I got a flat tire right out of the box cuss I could never keep air in it and it wore out in 4k miles now on a 23 in the front and its fine.

Buzzing around town short shift it its got plenty of torque to be in the next gear up. That might save you a mpg or two.

Will be working soon on different fender kit for the rear... I hope

18. Dangerous Dave

I set them to the factory recommended pressures as soon as I got the bike...you know...since the dealer didn't bother. 36 front 42 rear is what the swingarm says, so I figured that was my best starting point. All the bad talk about the oem tires has me all paranoid, but again, I haven't really had a good opportunity to "bond" with the bike yet. IOW, we haven't gone out and gotten all jiggy in some proper twisties. Roads are still a bit iffy around here, hopefully that will change soon.

Yes, but what fun is that? The bike does seem to like it around 4k, but then again, it ain't broken in yet.

Are you the one who makes his own C/F stuff?? You should use the hugger from Pyramid Plastics as a model. Personally, I think it's the nicest one I've found so far, but you can't buy it in the US, and shipping from the UK is almost as much as the hugger itself. Oh wait, you're probably talking about the undertail, not a hugger, yes?? Sorry, I'm very focused (and bothered) with this whole rear hugger thing right now. I'm ok with the stock undertail, maybe you should work on a hugger instead. ;-}

19. Cogswell

Cogswell New Member

United States
    My experience with the Tankslapper film was similar - tho I put it on my 6th gen. I used plenty of 50/50 water/isopropyl alcohol and had a good selection of various squeegees on hand working very slowly from one end to the other. I did have to make a few relief cuts to get around some very tight bends on the bottom of the headlight. I was very critical of my work at first, but at 3 feet it looks perfect, so I let it go. I'm the only one that knows where the defects are and now I don't even notice it's on there. Even though it was a PITA, I think it was worth it.

20. Pete2

Pete2 New Member

I know what you mean: Sargent, Ohlins, Throttlemeister, Helibars, Givi's, SWMotech, Pyramid, TireWatch, BikeAlarm, RamMount, etc etc. :crazy: (me)