Lithium ion battery with OEM R/R?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by OldSchoolInterceptor, Mar 13, 2020.

1. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    I’ve read on here both that a lithium ion battery is totally fine even better than a “normal” battery And that you shouldn’t use one with a stock R/R that you Have to upgrade to a R/R made for a lithium ion battery. I’m hoping there’s a member on here who has a lithium battery with a stock R/R and can give me real world feedback if this worked well or not. My bike hasn’t had issues with the R/R that I’m aware of but here in the Northwest the winters just sap the battery. I don’t ride very often. Yes I use a tender in winter. This is the battery I’m thinking about getting: WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery HJTZ14S-FP-IL HJTZ14S-FP-IL. Other members have used it and it has great reviews. I’m just not clear on the OEM rectifier issue that our bikes are prone to burn through. Thanks guys and gals!

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    IMHO, won't matter about the R/R..... I would be more concerned about lithium Iron, having the ability to start the bike below 40F. as that seems to be a feature of most LiFe batteries. Winters shouldn't be hard on an AGM.... you not keeping it charged? Too many discharges below 50% charge (12.4V) ain't a good thing.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Go with the LiFePo4. Charges just fine with the stock RR. I prefer the AntiGravity with the Restart feature.

Camp likes this.
  4. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your input!

5. Nicolas Siraut

Nicolas Siraut New Member

France
    Map
    Just mounted a SHIDO LTX12-BS LION -S with stock RR. Cranks well, a bit better than new Yuasa. No need to use the choke (was a little needed with the Yuasa), at least with outside temp of about 18CF. Need to try further but so far pretty happy (82€, quite reasonable). I weighed both: 800g vs 4.2kgs, easy 3.4kgs won :) Requires Lithium charger (I use a Noco G3500EU). Tester on battery showed full from the box, but charger loaded it a good extra 45mn before showing a full 100% on its screen.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
  6. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    Just to add:
    I've run LiFePO4 batteries for a few years, now. I ride daily, year-round, down to ~20°F. No issues with cold or with the stock R/R.

The only issue to bear in mind is that if you have a cheap battery without a BMS, and run it down flat, that will kill the battery. Seriously, completely discharging it even once or twice can leave you with a paperweight. The BMS AntiGravity uses may prevent this, so if you have a tendency to let your bike sit and have the battery run down, it may be worth it to spend a little extra to get a battery with proper BMS.

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Havent used the stock R/R for around 10ish years, but also been using a LiFePO4 battery for the whole time. (I'm on my 2nd) .. I like...

8. FelipeT

FelipeT New Member

United States
    Map
    Did you get the R/R Specifically for LiFePO4? I was curious what the difference is between it and stock. Does it regulate to a higher voltage? I haven't found it necessary, but it might still be nice to have.

Thanks!