Lithium ion battery with OEM R/R?

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by OldSchoolInterceptor, Mar 13, 2020.

1. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    I’ve read on here both that a lithium ion battery is totally fine even better than a “normal” battery And that you shouldn’t use one with a stock R/R that you Have to upgrade to a R/R made for a lithium ion battery. I’m hoping there’s a member on here who has a lithium battery with a stock R/R and can give me real world feedback if this worked well or not. My bike hasn’t had issues with the R/R that I’m aware of but here in the Northwest the winters just sap the battery. I don’t ride very often. Yes I use a tender in winter. This is the battery I’m thinking about getting: WPS Featherweight Lithium Battery HJTZ14S-FP-IL HJTZ14S-FP-IL. Other members have used it and it has great reviews. I’m just not clear on the OEM rectifier issue that our bikes are prone to burn through. Thanks guys and gals!

2. raYzerman

raYzerman Insider

Canada
    Map
    IMHO, won't matter about the R/R..... I would be more concerned about lithium Iron, having the ability to start the bike below 40F. as that seems to be a feature of most LiFe batteries. Winters shouldn't be hard on an AGM.... you not keeping it charged? Too many discharges below 50% charge (12.4V) ain't a good thing.

3. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

Map
    Go with the LiFePo4. Charges just fine with the stock RR. I prefer the AntiGravity with the Restart feature.

4. OldSchoolInterceptor

OldSchoolInterceptor New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks for your input!