Looking for some tire advice

Discussion in '7th Generation 2010-Present' started by Robclo, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    I picked up a 2010 demo just before the snow came and part of the deal was a
    new back tire. The dealer trailered the bike out to me last week, they put on the BT-0023 GT which sounds like it will be a good tire from what I've read on the Forum but the size doesn't match the suggested spec's, it's a 180-55.
    Do I need to get hem to change it or should it be OK, I don't want to sacrifice any performance in the
    corners?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    What front tire are you running? Not a big fan of mixing and trying to match tire brands. Also this particular tire is reviewed and there are data up the wazzoo on the Bridgestone website.

Several other opinions will surely follow about tires, both flat and airy..

3. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    It's the road max and I was expecting a matching back, was gonna wear those out then do some research and upgrade next time. From what I've read sounds like the Bridgestone is gonna be a good tire and would be happy to get he matching front in 2K or so but the bike calls for a 190 and this is a 180 which has me concerned. I'd like to find out the pros and cons of going smaller or if it's really not a good idea before I give the dealer a call and question what they did.

4. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    I have run both 180 and 190/55's BT 023's on the VFR. They are good tires and you shouldn't experience issues with the 180. However, I personally would have a discussion with the dealer since they installed the incorrect size tire on your bike. Rather than have them go through the expense of exchanging the tire now, perhaps they could offer you a substantial discount on your next tire and/or install if you keep the 180.

5. Badbilly

Badbilly Official VFRWorld Troll Of The Year!

United States
    Road Max? Bridgestones are good tires. Best IMO is to get on the Bridgestone website and see what they say. They have all kinds of bike tires for all kinds of bikes in all kinds of sizes and BTW, race tires ain't got nothin to do with street tires..Unless you plan on running slicks or paddle tires. ;)

Sizewise, a mismatch is a mismatch. Dealers will do what they do. This includes doing customers who don't question anything and do the bobblehead boogie when the friendly sales, service or parts dude is pissing on your boots.. metaphorically speaking of course..

6. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks very much, I'll definely do some negotiating for matching the front when it's
    needed if I keep the rear, what's your thoughts on how the 2 different sizes perform. I don't want to keep the 180 if it's inferior

7. Pliskin

Pliskin New Member

United States
    Map
    Personally, I'd be pretty concerned about a dealer who just arbitrarily goes and changes something from manufacturers recommendation/stock. Did they even say anything to you?

8. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I have to agree with Badbilly, they shouldn't have mixed brands as the profiles may not work well together and the size change without notifying you is a no no in my book. Hell, next thing you know they will be calling yor wife for a date. Where's the line that they don't cross? I guess you need to draw it as I'm sure they took a fair chunk out of your wallet for that puppy. :chaingun:

9. taylor65

taylor65 New Member

Map
    I never run a wrong size tiire for a rim. It will dramatically change the way the bike handles. You will have much less of a contact patch when leaned over. If it were me and I just spent that much money I would be asking for the right sized matched tires. If they have to order them so be it.

10. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    I love these threads because it means we have a wealth of tire opinions out there. I myself like Dunlops, but I have some advice that has nothing to do with brands.

All tire companies have a sport touring, multi-compound tire that is sposed to be pretty grippy but have 8000+ mile life. My advice is: get the NEXT sportiest tire, for example the Dunlop Q2s. Why would you want a slab tire? What kind of bike are you riding? If you really want to sacrifice an actual sport tire for longevity, my advice would then be to buy a different bike. Let's face it, the VFR is not the most comfortable bike out there. I mean, good god have you ridden an ST1300? I could ride that thing 1k miles a day, easy (to you nay-sayers, my VFR record is 1200 in one day). But if you want a VFR? Get a tire to match it. It is not a sport touring bike. It is a sport-sport-touring bike. And if you ever plan that big, 8000 mile trip? Well, go buy a pair of the sport-touring tires like the roadsmarts and swap them out.

My 2 cents. Definitely not worth much more than that, but there you have it.

11. Volfy

Volfy New Member

I see 3 separate questions:

1. Is 180/55 okay on the VFR1200? Anwser depends on your expectations. It isn't out right dangerous. Some bikes, including an RSV1000R I had before says in the owners manual that 190/50, 190/55 and 180/55 are all permissible tire sizes. Mounting an 180/55 on a wider rim normally meant for a 190 tire means that it really isn't 180/55 any more, but probably more like 185/50. I doubt the riding characteristics will be dramatically different vs. the exact same tire in 190. You may or may not notice the bike sitting a bit lower to the ground. Still, if you just bought the bike and was promised a new tire, I would go back and make them put the right size tire on it.

2. Is BT-023 a good tire and good match for the VFR? Again, depends on your expectations. If you commute or do a lot of touring, then it will serve you just fine. However, if you bought the VFR primarily for canyon carving, performance street riding, or even an occasional track day (yes, some riders do take their VFR to the track) then probably not the best application.

3. Is mixing brand or model tires okay? Once again, it depends. Sound like you have the stock Road Smart front and new BT-023 rear. That's a fairly good match. Typically, most bike wear out the rear tire before the front, so many riders would opt for a sportier tire up front to even out the tire wear, so both get worn out and refreshed at the same time. Another reason is better braking and handling with a sportier front tire, since the front has greater influence in those regards than the rear. Personally, I would be more wary of mixing tires with different wear (say nearly worn out front + brand new rear) than mixing brand of tires.

FWIW, I just put on a Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsa front and Metzeler M5 rear.

12. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey neighbor, the deal was too good to pass up, still trying not to feel alittle guilty. The tire was an after thought, it passed safety but barely. They agreed to replace the rear, I hinted for something a little softer if possible then what came with it knowing I'd match things up sometime in the spring. When I saw the 180 I thought WTF and decided to ask the experts.
    Sounds like it's gotta be a 190 and matching right away. Think I'll get them to put on the Pilot 2's and cover their snare

13. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you got a good deal. That is getting difficult these days although a bike sale in mid winter is a good thing for a dealer to pull off. Where did you get it?

14. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    At the Honda dealer in Ottawa, they were overly generous with my trade, 04 DL 1000 and they had a $5000 dealer incentive, it was a demo with a couple of dings but that added to the deal.
    I'm just down the road in Metcalfe, would be great to meet up for some riding this spring

15. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    OMG!!

You're local,,, really local

That's fantastic....... I've been so alone for such a long time up here. Now I'm motivated to get rollin again. That is one helluva a dealer incentive. The last time I was in there I almost passed out when I saw what they were asking for their bikes. Good to hear that they can do a brother a deal from time to time. I always found the fellas on the parts counter to be pretty good actually. It was the used sales guys that were on crack but that wasn't their fault.

16. glory racing

glory racing New Member

United States
    Map
    The difference in the 180 and 190 was minimal...I noticed no appreciable difference in ride quality. Regarding how well the 023's handle, you can scrape pegs while on the gas and they will hold just fine! I live in the heart of the twisties and ride the 023's harder than the majority of riders will ever ride. Got 3 sets of GT's sitting in the garage patiently waiting their turn.

Again, if it were me, I would work a deal for my next tire need.

17. lshark

lshark New Member

simple...a 180 tire is 10mm narrower than a 190...the 55 means that the height is 55% of the width.so it's roughly 5.5mm lower.....the wide rim on the vfr will change the profile of the narrower and lower tire and effect handling...how much.??? i don't want to find out....i'm running Michelin PR 3s stock sizes....i'd make the dealer make good on a 190/55

18. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Guy that heads up the service counter means well to, he'll set things right. I've never had the oppertunity to get involved in much maintenance, would love to and might have the chance down the road a little, until then I've found 2 spots I can trust to take bikes in the city and more then that I won't go back to.
    I'm through Kempville a lot, some decent roads past Merrickville on th way to Calabogie and Ompah, would love some company

19. Ocard

Ocard New Member

Why would you want to have a low range tire? Whatever they're supposed to, ridden sporty sport touring tires won't last more than ~4k miles give or take (Roadsmart even less, BT23 or PR3 a bit more if you're willing to ride them until no tread is left). Sports tires will do only up to 2k miles or even less.

My VFR is wearing both tires nearly at the same rate. BT maybe the front a bit slower but by far not slow enough for only changing the rear being an option.
    So if you go for a sportier front, watch it very carefully.

20. Robclo

Robclo New Member

Canada
    Map
    Thanks very much all, I appreciate all the feed back, I definitely feel like I'm better schooled on tires, but sometimes with knowledge comes confusion