Looking to buy. Is this an OK deal?

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by okiengr, Jun 14, 2006.

1. okiengr

okiengr New Member

I am finally out of college and have a job now so that I can pay for that VFR that I have wanted for 4 years now. I have been looking around, but they are hard to find in the Kansas/OKlahoma area. I am new to the VFR world and have not been around them much so I don't really know exactly what to watch out for when buying. There is one I have found close somewhat close by and here are some features of it:

1999 VFR
    Power Commander II
    Two brother C5 titanium slip on
    K&N air and oil filter
    Fox twin clicker rear shock
    Rocket locker soft tail bag
    magnetic tank bag
    clear tank protectors
    Rear seat cowl
    New tires
    Heated grips
    Krypto Front rim lock
    Battery tender
    New chain
    19212 miles
    Comes with new matching jacket
    Never dropped and claims it is in immaculate condition with a perfect service history. Driven mostly highway and not abused or raced. Owned by mature riders. He's asking $5500 for it.

I have seen some that are priced lower with less miles but aren't within driving distance to me. From the pictures it looks like a great bike and I may go try to look at it this weekend. Is this price on the higher side or is it worth close to that? What should I look out for if I go look at it? This will be my first VFR so I don't want to feel like I paid too much or got a bad bike or something. I just want one that has been upkept and cared for in good shape. My last bike (yamaha 600) was a pain because I was constantly having to change plugs and what not and I felt I paid too much for it. I just don't want that to happen again. Your input is appreciated.

BTW: I am only looking to buy the '98-'01 model. Thanks

2. Rhinoware

Rhinoware New Member

United States
    Map
    Sounds kind of high, but if it's in good shape it might be worth it. I bought an 03 last year in Kansas City for $7000 with 3,600 miles on it, from a guy who was buying a Bigdog (his loss) and I think that was about what it was worth. Sorry, can't help you with what to look for in an 99, but if it has a lot of performance parts on it their is a good chance that it has been ran hard (my opinion). Good luck

3. rc74racer

rc74racer New Member

It's probably a little high but you don't have to pay $5500. If it's well taken care of and you really like it then it could be worth it to you to pay a little more. The rear shock alone is a $500 value that very few VFRs have those. Throw in the jacket, lock and tank bag the deal doesn't sound too bad. I think 4800-5000 would be good.

4. okiengr

okiengr New Member

A guy offered him $5000 but he declined it so I know he won't take that. Plus I already know that I want to change the pipe to a staintune. I have heard many different pipes, but my opinion is that staintune just sounds better than others. So I have to take that into consideration as well. Thanks for your input.

5. Link

Link New Member

I met a rider today that just bought an 01 from a dealer in Des Moines for 5600 with 13000 miles on it, he's probably trying to get some of his money back on the upgrades he has made on the 99. I think in 2000 honda made changes to the regulator, you're right vfrs are a bit scarce here in the midwest.

6. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Just remember, as a general rule, aftermarket accessories DO NOT add value to motorcycles. You can argue this point but it's the case, ask any re-sale agent or dealer with used bikes. If you're willing to pay extra that's your business. Look up the Blue Book value based on mileage and that's what the individual should be willing to take. Motorcyclist magazine stated it pretty clearly. Be wary of ANY mods to a used bike. Unless you know the individual personally, you have no idea whatsoever how they were put on & used.

KC-10 FE out...

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It sounds a little high to me but I guess it depends on how badly you want it. It's still a used bike no matter how well he took care of it. KC 10 is right about the aftermarket stuff not adding value to a bike. The only exception to that is if they were items that you knew you would add yourself, then they have value to you, but you will probably not get back if you ever had to sell. It's a tough call, but I'd probably hold out...maybe consider driving a little further? You might considerhaving family sending you trader express magazines from out of state but still not too far from you to drive. A lot of people _still_ aren't very internet friendly and have only posted in newspapers or trader mags. Just for comparisons sake, I bought my 98 a few months ago for less than 4k and it had several aftermarket add-ons, but all stock items were still included. I live in Cali which I think generally costs more for everything.

8. okiengr

okiengr New Member

You guys have made some very good points. I honestly would be completely content with a stock bike with just a staintune pipe (or without) on it and less miles. I don't really care much about accessories and mods. That does make me wonder though if it has those performance mods, how it has been driven like Rhino said. I may wait this one out (and may drive a little further) unless I can get a good deal on it. Here's the guy's web site that he gave off cycletrader if you want to take a look.

http://home.att.net/~billwightman/vfr800

9. okiengr

okiengr New Member

Oh and he did say that he bought this bike off ebay and paid "top dollar" for it when he purchased it. The mods were already on it then. So he may be trying not to lose too much on his investment.