Looking to buy

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by P-nut, Apr 30, 2006.

1. P-nut

P-nut New Member

I now ride a KTM 625 smc. It's alot of fun, but the long rides are tough. I am interested in a VFR and I have a few questions. What is the average range (miles/tank), are the oil changes easy, and how many miles between valve adjustments. The only other question is about engine braking. My 625 has alot of e-braking and I love it. From what I have read the VFR is an great S/T and it has a great reputation. I'm interested in the 98-01 model. I don't want to sell my 625. I just want another bike to travel a little farther. I did 320mi yesterday and my friend were tired of stopping so I could fill up.

2. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    I just got doing a trip today on a tank and I went over 150 miles and there's still 2 or 3 bars on the fuel gauge. The oil change is not too hard. You have to take off the left side fairing only, then you can reach the filter. I guess it takes 30 minutes give/take. I've only had mine for a few months, but from what I read, they are VERY reliable. Mine is a 98. I think valve adjustments every 16k but I know the last time mine was checked, it still didn't need adjustment.

3. P-nut

P-nut New Member

Thanks Preregrin. What about engine braking. Does the V4 have alot of low end torque.

4. Schrader

Schrader New Member

Map
    Engine Braking

P-nut
    Coming off Buells and HD's I was surprised by how much engine braking there was with the V-4. It has as much as my Buell V-twin.

5. P-nut

P-nut New Member

Thanks Schrader. Other than maintenance that will be the deciding factor in my purchase. I live in Western NC and don't think I would enjoy an inline four.

6. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    you know, that's how I usually stop but I didn't know it was called engine braking. I just call it downshifting. It's how I go into turns, too ;that way I can stick 'em.

7. Schrader

Schrader New Member

Map
    Western NC

P-nut

Western NC, I am jealous, you live in and near some of the best riding in the nation!!! :frown: Wish I lived near just one decent curve.:frown:
    I have rode thru the smokies several times, it is beautifull. :biggrin:

8. P-nut

P-nut New Member

I took it for granted until I went to college and then I moved back as soon as I could. It seems some of the best roads are the ones that drop out of the mountains and into the foothills. I have had the most fun on the roads that start in NC and end in SC.

9. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It seems like every time I go riding here I find another road that has an S curve sign that says next 5 miles or so. There are even 2 that I know of within 10 miles that say S curves for next 15 miles. That's unheard of where Im from in Missouri. I love it. Plus the weather is awesome here. It's now hitting 90 degrees here but 10 miles away on the coast it'll be 65 or even less so pretty much you can just decide if you want cool or warm and ride the appropriate direction.