Looks like I am buying!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rexbaum, Nov 11, 2009.

1. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I forgot two things, sorry.

The bike looks great, you're gonna have a blast!

Also the bike should come with two covers (matching paint) for the grab handle holes, should you decide to remove them from time to time. I would make sure you get those as well as the rear seat cowl.

2. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Ya know, you are RIGHT! :mad: Now I am pissed! I am gonna march right in there in the morning and yell out, "I'm mad as hell, and I am not going to take it anymore!"

Seriously, I will resolve this. You guys are absolutely right. :cool:

3. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Which I'm sure is exactly what they're trying to do.

Tinkerin, I'm not much of a winter rider, but this spring we should hook up for a ride and Rex here is bringing the new one to Beaver Creek, so maybe all of us can head out.

4. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

You guys are welcome to the house in Beaver Creek! Three floors, five bedrooms, 6 bathrooms, nestled on the hillside about 2/3 the way up a mountain side. My brother-in-law is the largest car dealer in the St Louis area and as I always say, "you can't hide money!"

5. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    Thank you for the offer, I am sure to take you up on that sometime. I wanted to let you know I just did some quick research on that seat cowl. The cheapest OEM that I saw was $94.99 and that was for an '08 silver. The only '07 I saw was $149.99 white (RWB). The red is most likely to be in the $90-$100 range as well...either way, "don't let the bastards get you down"

6. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey Rex I used to live in St. Louis Area. Harvester S/W of St. Charles. Sunday mornings you would find me on Hwy 94 running past Busch Wildlife through Defiance and on to Herman along the Missouri River. This was the mid '80s. Is it still as good a run as I remember it? I remember runnin' past Daniel Boone's home on the twisties droppin down to the river bottom rollin' out a lot of throttle in the flats and back into the twisties for about 60 or 70 miles. Please tell me it's still just as good! My old CB 750 loved that road.

7. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Maggot,

I live right off 94 near Mid Rivers Mall Drive, I am sure you remember that area. Those roads you spoke of are still the way they were. The only thing that may have changed is a few new Winery's have settled in. I have been riding that area for the 14 years I have lived out here. Good roads! Having said that, I have only enjoyed them seated on a HD; once I get use to the VFR, I am sure it will be a whole new experience. Having said that, I enjoy riding in a spirited fashion, but not like I have seen some guys on their sportbikes. Not that brave! I have a family!

8. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    I was just off of Central School Road. My wife remembers those malls better than me. Ha! Ha! If those roads are the same you better keep your faceshield down. On a new VFR your smile will be way too big for your own safety! What a great place to break in a new bike!

Get that baby out there and keep us posted!

9. tinkerinWstuff

tinkerinWstuff Administrator Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Sign me up! Every once in a while, look back and wait for me and my mini-ceptor to catch up. :thumbsup: I'll do my best!!

10. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Like I said, I have the RWB, but I really, really, really like the red. Havcar is right. Make sure you get the seat cowl and the plastic covers for the grab rails. When I picked mine up, I had to ask for them as well. They went back and eventually found them. Enjoy your new ride!

11. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Well I picked her up and had time for a nice 100 mile ride. Coming from a cruiser (HD) it took a little getting use to, but once I did, I had a blast. I actually headed for some of my favorite roads and - crap! I got stuck behind a pack of cruisers! Ha! Once I lost them I discovered how well this bike will handle the winding road!!! Actually took one curve that I usually would take at about 50 on my last Harley and when I was coming out, I glanced down and saw I was doing 65!

My ONLY complaint: I believe I would be more comfortable with bars that were an inch higher. Perhaps I will get use to the stockers, after all, this was my first day on her. Oh, and wow, the weight transfer to your arms when you break is crazy! I gotta hit the gym I guess. I am 6'2", 215, and one time when I was breaking (for an idiot), it felt like I was benching 300 pounds! Ok, I may be stretching it a bit, but you know what I mean!

Very pleased!!!!

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  12. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
  13. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

CandyRedRC46,

"yes being in shape will help. going to the gym and stretching will as well. but mainly you will get used to it and slowly build up those muscles in time."

I am not really out of shape. Actually, I am in very good shape for a 50 year old dude! I guess my weight is my enemy (although not the least bit fat!).

I looked at the thread detailing the install of the helibars..... Holly crap, what a nightmare!

I am sure I will get use to it. Keep in mind, I am use to my legs being out in front of me, and small ape hangers! All of my weight was on my butt, which would tend to get sore as well!

14. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    i did the helis. it really isnt that hard...
    definitely worth the effort.

15. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Okay, listen up!

To all you guys that gave me advice, grip too tight, relax, squeeze on tank with thighs, etc., I am so very thankful! :thumbsup:

Did about 120 miles today, followed your advice and the discomfort I had on day one was GONE!!!! :wink: I had also spent a lot of time reading the "advice" threads and learned how different it was to ride a bike like the VFR. Remember, I come from the HD family.

Well, I met my wife for dinner and when we were done, I told her I would be home in about an hour. I needed to get some more riding in!

This bike is so much fun to ride that I am actually kinda pissed that I had not made the change earlier in my life! This bike sure knows how to stir your soul!!

:jason:

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    thats awesome! im glad to hear your getting used to her. i knew youd love the bike!:thumbsup:

17. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Rex, I bought my '07 RWB September 2008. The bike I rode before the VFR was a 1972 CB 750 K2. I rode it for over 30 years. It had handlebars like a Texas Longhorn and I sat upright behind a Vetter Windjammer fairing. People thought I was nuts going to the VFR. They were wrong. I love the twisties and I like to get lost for a few days or a week here and there. The VFR is perfect for me. Everybody said I would soon be buying the Helis. A few people also said it would be wise to ride it for a while to see if I got used to it. I now have 5,800 miles on the VFR. I bought it with the blue hardbags and have added a Nep cruise control. The Sargent seat I ordered two days ago from Motorcycle Superstore is on its way. I put on about 120 miles this past Sunday in the upper 40's and thought the bike felt perfect.

My point is, I don't think I'll be adding the Helis. I am also 6' 2" and weigh quite a few pounds more than you. I think the engineers did a good job here and put the bars in the right spot for a sport tourer. Ride it a while and see how you like the bars later. Like mine, I think your past experience will stick with you for a long time. Don't let the old bike influence you on the new one. When you ride the VFR be open minded and learn the new bike. I think each day you will like it even more.

Maggot

18. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Well, one week and 400 miles later (only limited riding available this time of year), I am HOOKED!!! :thumbsup:

Went for a ride with a couple of my riding buddies, and they both loved the looks of the VFR, and how could they not? :wink:

We went for a long ride to a place in Labadie, Mo for some incredible sandwiches only to find that they were closed! Oh yes, I guess this is a long weekend even for the small business owners. CRAP! :mad:

We made the ride longer and got something to eat, followed by more riding. The lunch ride turned into an all day ride. We stopped at a "water hole" on the way back and when we left, we warned each other about the deer. I took the lead because everyone raved about the headlight on the VFR and I had not experienced that yet.

She lit the road up well enough that I spotted 6 DEER standing at the side of the roadway. They backed away a little bit and we passed safely. By this time, it was dark and my bike told me the temp was 42 degrees. I felt just fine behind the fairing.

Ya know, after getting use to how this bike is ridden, there is really nothing I can say that I would like changed..........even the bars!

[​IMG]

:biggrin:

19. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    Have you had the RPM up high enough yet where you've had the VTEC engaged? Since you're new to the bike, I'm curious as to your thoughts on it. Personally, I like it. I wouldn't say it was necessary, but I view it as a trait of the bike, much like the gear driven cams in my '86 750 and 1000.

20. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Yes I have. At one of the stops, I intentionally let my two buddies get in front of me because I knew that in about 15 miles I would have a long straight away. Well, when the time came, I kicked it down a couple and opened it up. I flew by both of them with the VTEC screaming. We stopped at the next little stop and they both told me I scared the crap of of them! :eek: Then both also said it sounded cool!

As for like/dislike, I LIKE it! It is a characteristic of the bike; something that reminds you are riding something different! Nothing wrong with that!!!

:thumbsup: