Looks like I am buying!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by rexbaum, Nov 11, 2009.

1. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

With 7 days owning the VFR and three outings (can't wait for spring), I have racked up a total of 576 miles.

Bottom line.......

Initial issues are long gone. I am truly enjoying this bike! Maybe a Sargent seat to be explored, but the bars are fine. Now if I could only fill the tank and get the whole gauge to light up. The last bar never lights....... Guess I am not filling it enough.

What a machine! Love the VTEC surprise at 6500+ RPM!!

2. stewartj239

stewartj239 Member

United States
    Map
    I fill my tank to the brim. Even then, the last bar stays lit for maybe 5-10 miles after that.

3. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Time for my first service. The dealer told me the break-in service was $325, "we change the oil and filter and go over everything...."

WTF! I think I am more than capable of changing my own oil and going over everything. Keep the rest of the money for myself!

4. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    congrats on your new ride!! dont rush into buying heli bars you may not need them. u will find after you get used to your new ride and totally relax you have little weight transfered through your arms . use your legs against tank to take most of the weight jurying braking.riding a sport bike is a little different than a HD or cruiser give it some time to adjust.

5. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Thanks Chomper!

The long ride yesterday was NOTHING like my first ride. I am getting use to the different ride style. Also, with regard to the bars, I spotted a picture in another thread with OEM sitting next to the HELIBARS. The inside of the bars are higher, but the end of the bars appear the same height at OEM. Maybe it was just the angle of the photo.

Nonetheless, I do not think I will be changing the bars. They seem fine to me!

:thumbsup:

PS. Great pics in your album! Nice looking bike!

6. chomper

chomper New Member

United States
    Map
    should of read all the posts LOL. i see you already figured it out. heli bars raise about 1" and are back toward rider slightly so it does give u a little more upright seating. i see from you picture your buddies are on cruisers just let them take that vfr for spin and they might be looking for one to:wink:
    Cheers

7. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

That is exactly what I told them! :rolleyes: They are hard core HD fans, and after riding with me, they admit that the VFR is pretty cool! I buzzed ahead of them so I could live'n up my ride a little (slow a$$ harley's) and when we met up at a stop, they both agreed that "that looked like fun!"

:thumbsup:

8. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I don't know Rex, you got a great bike at a good price, but I am liking this dealership less and less. First the fairing issue and now this. The only thing that is actually neccasary is the oil/filter change. About $75-$90 depending on oil selection and the labor. Then there is the inspection of nuts, bolts, and steering bearings, non of which are really required but of course Honda suggested. Even if you decide to have those inspections done for piece of mind (which I did) the extra $250 is obscene. No more than one hour of labor is needed to accomplish everything. I think that a more realistic number for everything, incl. oil/filter, and inspections is closer to $175. I paid $165 for my break-in. $80 for the oil and $85 for 1hr labor to complete all of the "suggested inspections." You could ask how much they plan on charging you for "going over everything" and explaining to you in detail, the intricate nature of an oil change or the ever fascinating "we tightened the bolt to the right."

Again, it's no big deal but pretty soon this sh!t is gonna start to cost you some real money.

Other than that, I'm glad to hear you're lovin the new ride! Now just get to Beaver Creek so you can take mine for a ride and see if you want to start doing any mods!

9. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

I bought my 07 leftover in June while at Fort Leonardwood. I know mine had been sitting in the showroom since 07 and had all of the original fluids. I received the bike with an empty gas tank(which pissed me off). I also had to ask for the handle covers..Most dealers will try to screw you whenever they can.

As far as the first service. Do it yourself. Changing the oil is pretty easy and I assume you will be doing it yourself anyway, might as well do the first one.

10. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

I have been doing most all of the work on my past bikes, Pipes, carb work, fluids, and even some painting. I know that I will give the bike a more attentive fluid change than the service department where some hung over 22 yr old will. :wink:

Now if I need some warranty work done, that is another story. Basic stuff, EXCEPT valve adjustment, I will do it myself.

11. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Are you suggesting that your bike will have a bit more jump to her? :rolleyes:

As for Beaver Creek.......

I can't wait!!! :thumbsup:

12. Deadsmiley

Deadsmiley Member

United States
    Map
    I have Helibars for a 98 sitting in the box.

I bought them and have never had the desire to put them on. <shrug>

13. havcar

havcar New Member

Map
    I would never....

14. pjm204

pjm204 New Member

So far my experience with warranty work has been a joke. My bike has the cam chain noise that seems to inflict some VFR's and they couldnt hear it...weird, I hear it every time I ride. Oh well i guess I have it on file that I took it in for an issue.

15. rexbaum

rexbaum New Member

Update:

I got a call from the dealership yesterday advising that my seat cowl came in. I stopped by there today and they handed me a package with a foam wrapped, brand new seat cowl! :thumbsup:

Glad I got it! They assured me I would; actually think that it was left out of the crate from the factory. Maybe not......:rolleyes:

Anyway, still loving the bike!! Gonna get up to mid 40's on Sunday, so I am gonna try to do another 100 on her.

Thanks for the feedback, guys!

Later!

:nerd:

16. cebuVFR

cebuVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Glad you're lovin' it! :thumbsup: