Lost Back Break

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by sebring, Jul 18, 2014.

1. sebring

sebring New Member

I have not been riding much, about 1,000 miles since 2011. Yesterday I went for a run and realized that something is not right with back break...nearly no break at all. I put a lot of pressure on it, with very limited breaking action. I came to stop with front brakes, then held the foot break down and tried to push it off, but the break held fast. This generation has the linked brake system, as you know, so not sure where to look for the problem. Any ideas appreciated. Thanks, Sebring. 99 VFR800

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

I had a similar problem with my '01 I bought last year, the lack of maintenance and inspection from the PO had taken it's toll. The two outer pistons were nicked and the burr was causing the rubber of the dust seals to be scraped away and the rubber build up was causing the pistons to stick. I did a complete flush/fill of both front and back brake lines and a rebuild of the rear caliper with new pistons and all is good now. But my guess is that your fluid may be a bit too old and you have a clogged line.

Take the rear wheel off and take a good look at the rear caliper to see how dirty it is and also check the brake fluid to see how clear it is. When was the last time you bled the brakes?

BTW it is 'brakes' not 'breaks', not that it really matters, just saying

3. V4toTour

V4toTour New Member

United States
    ^ this.

Break .. I mean "brake" fluid is extremely hygroscopic. Meaning it readily absorbs and holds water. Overtime this will break the fluid down and turn it to goo. Just guessing from your statement, I wouldn't be surprised if this bikes got the '99 fluid in it. Needs to be changed out at a minimum of like every 3 years. Also not exercising the brakes often is a bad idea.

My guess is either a large chunk of goop broke free and is clogging the small orifices in the master cylinder, or there is significant corrosion to the piston and cylinder (pitting) and the rubber seal gave up the ghost. If there's pitting, you're pretty much in for a new caliper assembly.

Oh, yeah. Change out the fluid in your clutch actuator while you're at it. Essentially is a brake caliper and uses the same fluid

4. sebring

sebring New Member

Thanks. Sounds right to me. I know that brake fluid breaks down from heat and age. I will jump on it when I get a chance to take a "break" to work on the brakes. :) Thanks much.