loud pipes

Discussion in '6th Generation 2002-2013' started by mrVfrUSAF, May 24, 2004.

1. FERNDOG

FERNDOG New Member

Map
    Yea I've been warned about Microns fit, not the best.

2. okiengr

okiengr New Member

3. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

KC-10 says that Two Bros. suck but I love the way they sound. Very throaty and have a nice pop when you deccellerate. I would like to know his basis on why they suck.

4. FERNDOG

FERNDOG New Member

Map
    Thanks for the sounds OKIENGR.......like the sound of the Staintunes the best!

5. lootyman

lootyman New Member

That Leo Vince is awful:yuck:

I'm gonna go out and remove some packing from my Microns.
    I'll let you know how it turns out:flypig:

6. FERNDOG

FERNDOG New Member

Map
    What a cute little pink flying horse.......might want to lay off the bottle!

7. ZonaMan

ZonaMan New Member

Looks like your little chihuahua wants to take a piss on that little horse....or hump it! I like the smoking dude.

8. KC-10 FE

KC-10 FE New Member

Disclaimer: Just because I hate TBR & would never do business with them again does not mean anyone else can't like TBR. If someone has a TBR that they love, that's awesome & I'm glad it worked out for you.

Anyway, here's the same reply I sent to ZonaMan's PM so everyone can read it. I added a few bits in () for clarification on a few details:

"I purchased my C4 Titanium Canister 4 weeks after I got my bike in 2000. I got it from www.starcycle.com (top notch company, have since ordered several more exhausts from them) because the dealer I bought the bike from said they couldn't beat the prices.

Here's a run down of the issue:
    1. Box arrived damaged (that's an UPS problem, not TBR, there was a scuff on the can I was never able to get rid of that I believe was due to the shiping damage)
    2. Box was missing hardware. In fact, the ONLY thing that showed up were the POS springs (who knows, maybe the harware fell out of the several holes in the box)
    3. Can didn't fit, it rubbed on the passenger peg. (the bottom of the peg was resting on the can to the point that I couldn't tighten the clamp)
    4. I called TBR to get a new system under warranty due to missing hardware & not fitting. They said no since I purchased it from the internet. Starcycle "drop ships" meaning the box originated from TBR, not SC
    5. Since I now had a $390 paper weight, I had to go to a marine supply store to get the necessary clamps to attach the mid pipe to the collector.
    6. I had to file on the peg for 2 hours to get the can to finally fit. (I should say until I could "use it", not until it fits. The can had about .020" between it and the pax peg. The heel guard touched the muffler clamp & at the end of it was only about .040")
    7. After one season, the end caps started corroding.
    8. Can had 2" of end play side to side due to ill fit from muffler to mid pipe. (this may or may not be my fault since I had to purchase my own hardware. This is where I should point out TBR not only would not replace the missing hardware, they refused to sell it to me either)
    9. The rubber on the springs rotted off after 15 months.
    10. A rivet fell out of the end cap after 4 years.

After all this BS, I sold the POS on Ebay for $50 and got a Scorpion. It is a 1000% better product. Simply because they refused their own warranty has made me swear to NEVER, EVER do business with TBR again. What's the point of a warranty if nothing is warranted?

My advice to you (other than selling it) would be to meticulously detail that exhaust and keep on eye on it. Make sure you don't get ANY kind of solvent or cleaner on the aluminium end caps or yours will rust too. This is why no one should use aluminium on an exhaust. SS is the metal of choice for longevity, it will outlast everything including TI. At the first sign of corrosion (it will trust me) you have to polish the corrosion out.

I'm sure this is what you didn't want to hear but I don't pull punches. Who knows, maybe I got a lemon and it was not an accurate example of TBR? The warranty issue would still make me never do business with them again."

I've attached a pic if you look real close:
    You can see the scuff about 2" north of the muffler clamp.
    You can see the passenger peg heel guard is actually contacting the muffler clamp.
    You can see the corrosion on the end caps.
    I don't think you can make out the rubber on the springs but its pitted & dry rotted.

As far as those sound clips go:
    I liked the Staintune the best.
    The Leo Vince sounded like a hyperactive chainsaw.
    The Micron sounds real nice but I've never heard anything but unkind words about their customer service. Their products might be OK but as a company they suck balls.
    The D&D sounds like it would get REAL annoying after only an hour or so.
    The Arrow sounds pretty good. I wasn't even aware they made cans for the VFR.
    I wish someone had a clip for a Jardine RT1 on a VFR. They look freaking awesome and it made the hair on my neck stand up after hearing them on a RC-51.

KC-10 FE out...

Attached Files:

• vfr.jpg
      vfr.jpg
      File size:
      74 KB
      Views:
  9. FERNDOG

FERNDOG New Member

Map
    Yea that's Petey Pete always trying to hump something! He's got Napolean complex.

10. NYMBYSS

NYMBYSS New Member

United States
    laser is my choice,but there are others as well.

11. ride

ride New Member

I just installed a Devil pipe on my '90 VFR. Very nice sound at idle. Not really that loud at all - just a little deeper sounding. Like some of the other pipes - can't really hear too much at speed. Might be tough to find though. I was in Greece recently, and happened along a little old performance shop. Figured I'd check it out, but not really expecting much. When I asked for a pipe for a '90 VFR, the owner disappeared into the basement for a few minutes. He came out with a beat-up old box, but inside is a brand new kit, still in the bags. Had to carry this thing in my back-pack through several airports and security checks, but I got it home.

12. WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight Well-Known Member

United States
    Map
    :thumb: Congrats on scoring a hard to find aftermarked part for your bike.

13. lootyman

lootyman New Member

Great story! Congratulations:cool:

14. duke dellarocco

duke dellarocco New Member

staintune vs. remus

i'm down to two choices for my '06. the staintune or the remus. i've heard great things about both and yes if you want the staintune to be louder i've read that you should take the baffle out. the remus comes in carbon so the staying cooler factor does come into play. is the staintune sounding any better?

duke

15. duke dellarocco

do you have the remus on your bike? if so can you tell me more about it?

16. lootyman

lootyman New Member

hey duke, what year is your vfr?

17. duke dellarocco

2006 pearl white. love the bike. had a 1987 - vfr750 then went to a 2000 gsxr600. and now back to the vfr800. and like i said love the bike, it's just the stock exhaust is makin' me nuts. i need a good sound to go along with the bikes good looks. i'm down to either the staintune or the remus. trying to find someone who has the remus on the bike to get some info on the sound. keep me posted.

18. Spud

Spud New Member

Map
    Duke I am in the same boat.. But I am down to the Microns and Remus.. I would really like to more about the remus also...

19. lootyman

lootyman New Member

cool, nice ride.
    you mentioned something about the carbon being cooler. that probably won't be much a benefit since you have undertail exhaust. mostly, cool pipes prevent burns for pillions.
    not sure a cool pipe will keep your seat any cooler either. seems it just passes heat easily to the seat. maybe it just blows all the hot out the back, but then we're talking about insulating qualities and not conduction.
    i don't know, just a thought. all i know is that heat shield does the trick for me.:wink:

20. duke dellarocco

Spud check out this site...

http://www.sporttour.com/

if you haven't seen it yet it's good. i heard mixed reviews about the Microns. i'm going to go with the Remus.

Talk to Glen at Sporttour he is very helpful.

good luck and keep me posted, when i get the Remus i'll let you know how it sounds.