Lowering Link question

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by pap11y, Jan 16, 2012.

1. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Lust racing lowering link for VFR800Fi 2001 lowers the bike 40mm (like one in link below)

Lust Racing Honda CBR600RR CBR 600RR PC40 Lowering Kit 2007 on | eBay

I have just installed this kit. I really enjoy being able to put my feet flat on the ground now.

I like the feeling of the bike being lower. Feels very stable.

So..... What are the downsides to this? I am already aware of the fact my side stand doesn't work as well and I have much less clearance now on the bike.

Do I need to lower the front forks or make any other changes to "balance" the bike?

2. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Typically you need to raise the forks the same amount that the back was lowered to keep the front ends rake/trail the same as before you lowered it. It's not mandatory but it will keep the bikes handling the same as stock. The more trail you have the more high speed stability you will gain but lose quicker steering. The less trail means quicker steering but you lose the high speed stability. Other than the obvious less ground clearance, the only other issue you may have is the center stand. Some people just take it off because with the lower height it is more difficult to place it on the center stand.

Note, if you have not raised the forks, you essentially have changed the geometry of the bike, however slight that is, and theory would suggest that your bike would now have more high speed stability and slower steering. I hope this helps.

3. hondabill

hondabill New Member

United States
    Map
    + 1 on this I've lowered a few 4th gen for shorter friends basically same linkage as a 5th gen it definitely helps to lower front(raise forks in the triples) once that is done the bike actually feels a little lighter because of lower center of gravity

4. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Thanks guys. Very helpful :)

5. stoshmonster

stoshmonster New Member

It's not quite that much OOTVS. When I installed the Thurn Motorsport 35mm lowering triangles on my '03 the amount recommended by Thurn Motorsport to raise the forks in the triple clamps was 10mm only.

The bike handled beautifully in that configuration,it steered quicker,had a much less top heavy feel to it,made rapid side to side transitions a bit easier,and ground clearance wasn't an issue.

I currently have the Lust Racing 30mm lowering triangles installed on my '03 and still run the forks raised only 10mm in the triple clamps.

[​IMG]

Definitely gonna be a little bit harder to put your bike up on it's centerstand Pap. This is an old pic but on my '03 I cut a 3/4 inch section out of the side stand between the foot pad and kick tab and had my buddy Pez weld it back together,works perfectly.

[​IMG]

6. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Thanks heaps for the detailed info stosh. Man your bike is cherry :)

As I lowered the bike 40mm it just didn't seem right to drop the forks that far so I dropped them about 20mm. I think I'll reduce this.

That being said the lower centre of gravity of the bike is sweet.

The only downside is now it looks like a baby viffer - or maybe the runt of the litter... LOL

7. OOTV

OOTV Insider

Yeah, I should have proofed read that a little better, I meant to suggest raising the forks the distance it would have been "offset" by the lowering link. In essence keeping the rake/trail the same. Sorry for the confusion pap11y, good catch Stosh.

8. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    I'd just like to add that I am really pleased with this mod.

Of all of the things I have done, this has made my bike so much more stable. Being able to put my foot flat on the ground is sweet and the bike just seems so rooted to the ground.

I'd recommend this to any shorties riding a viffer.

Just be aware a stand modification is an essentiasl requirement, and I scrape on nasty speed humps occasionally.

9. Tangaroa

Tangaroa New Member

10. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    Yeah the lowering link for a gen 6 is not as serious as the new triangle links I got.

They are substantially more beefy that the original links.

11. ndmeistr

ndmeistr New Member

Map
    Hi, I'm a shortie too and was considering getting this for my 98 model. Is this the correct part for this model bike? I just wanted to be sure.

12. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
  13. ndmeistr

ndmeistr New Member

Map
    Thanks, I will. I thought that the link you started this thread with was the part that you ordered. My bad.

14. pap11y

pap11y New Member

Map
    No, its good you asked as I just posted it as an example of the link. Its definitely not right for you..

Also there may be options as to how much you lower it.

I think I would lower mine 30mm if I did it again but its a small difference. 40mm has my feet flat on the ground which is very helpful with my overweight baby :)