Magic mushrooms / crash bungs / whatever . . .

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by the-chauffeur, Sep 12, 2006.

1. the-chauffeur

the-chauffeur New Member

Folks

I've got a 1987 VFR750FH which I'm going to respray in the very near future. Once its all tarted up, I'm thinking of doing a few trackdays, but am frankly terrified of sliding off. I'm not so much worried about personal injury, more the prospect of cosmetic damage to the bike . . .

. . . so I'm looking for fairing protectors, magic mushrooms, or whatever you want to call them that can be bolted on to the bike. Most manufacturers make them for later models, but I've never seen any specifically made for the older models - other than some rather pathetic looking affairs on eBay that attach to the weakest parts of the fairing stays (no thanks).

Anyone know where I can get some of these toys with bolts that replace the engine mounts and go into the frame (as most decent protectors should)? Yes, I realise it'll mean cutting a couple of holes in the fairing, but this seems infinitely preferable to destroying one side of the bike.

Thanks

Neil

2. freewheelburner

freewheelburner New Member

United States
    I saw a picture of a bike on this Site I think with sliders that replaced the fairing bolts at the bend in front of your knee. I was very intrigued by these and have been looking for them ever since. Maybe they were home made but these would just screw in the existing holes. I will look for the pic.

Attached Files:

3. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    I would be very interested in getting something like that. The only other frame sliders I have heard about for the VFR require drilling and a new overflow tank for the coolant - no thanks. A buddy of mine just got hit on the side of his bike by a car, and the only thing that kept his leg from getting broken were his frame sliders. So, does anyone know what the deal is with these bolt on sliders?

4. freewheelburner

United States
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2006
  5. freewheelburner

United States
    I have updated the post with a link

6. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    So, those aren't the frame sliders in the picture above (duh), have you used them yourself? They don't seem to be as long as the other ones, but maybe that doesn't matter.

7. freewheelburner

United States
    No but they are what you were looking for, no? They look pretty long. No I have not tried them but maybe i will

8. Wu-Viffer

Wu-Viffer New Member

Map
    I emailed the guy who makes them to get the dimensions. It's going to be hard to beat his price (~$30), most frame sliders are twice that. I'll let you know what I think when I get them.

9. the-chauffeur

the-chauffeur New Member

Sorry to burst your bubble . . .

. . . nope, that's not what I'm after. Those things I mentioned at the outset "some rather pathetic looking affairs on eBay that attach to the weakest parts of the fairing stays"? That's them, that is.

There are 5 bolts in each side of the fairing. Three are at the top front end. One is down by your feet. The remaining one is halfway up the side and is the one gets replaced by the bungs in the link. Personally, I wouldn't trust the strength of the thin spacer bar that attaches the frame to the fairing behind these bolts in place to take any weight at all.

Which is why I'm looking for bungs that bolt straight into the frame/engine mount.

Still looking . . . :eek:

10. freewheelburner

United States
    I guess if you plan on slamming your bike into the ground...but if that is the case I'm sure nothing will protect you from ruining alot of things after doing that...just my opinion. I guess you will have to do some mods to get that sort of mount.