Man Cave (aka Garage)

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Jeff_Barrett, Mar 6, 2016.

1. perseverantist

perseverantist New Member

United States
    Map
    Here's how the stable's configured. First chance at a 100+ miles today.

20160308_180411.jpg 20160308_184449.jpg

Bubba Utah likes this.
  2. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Back a few days ago, this dude tried to squeeze his way in, dude what ya thinking ;)

[​IMG]

Then there's been times when I had a few friends over.

[​IMG]

Bubba Utah likes this.
  3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    What an idiot. Bet you kicked his sorry ass out of there into the pouring rain didn't you.

RVFR likes this.
  4. sunofwolf

sunofwolf New Member

United States
    P1010193.jpg P1010194.jpg P1010195.jpg IMGP0300.jpg vfr2 (1).jpg
    all I got is a small garage, but it does have a good roof.

5. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map

Nice, got a similar project with my wood shop stuff. I'm just finishing my kitchen cabinets as well. but temporarily on hold with only 3 more doors to make. I'm currently working on installing a ridge beam with all my equipment pushed to the side. Want to get 16 ft ceiling height and move my car lift into that section move my wood working to the back part of my barn/garage.

What dust collection or dust control method are you using? I know there's no perfect answer, but any knowledge you can share would be appreciated. I've even built a divider wall and installed 2 huge wall exhaust vents to suck out dust/fumes but dust still spreads all over the place.

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    A little off topic but I am sure Jeff doesn't mind.

My dust collection system involves a push broom and a big honk'n dust pan. If it is really windy, I just open both doors and the lord is my janitor.

I have looked at systems. They are really not that expensive. But I am always left with where do I put that dust collector and how to I plumb the ducting so that I have several points to hook in. My garage is limited for space, and the walls are all rocked, plastered and painted. This being the case, I have chosen to stay away from an organized dust collection system. About 99.5% of the time, I am working with the double garage door open so dust escapes. As it is, I have to constantly move my power tools around as I am building. Everything is on cabinets I made for them so they roll around easy enough, and tuck away nicely in a corner of the garage

If I am sanding, I will open the passage door to the rear of the garage, turn on a big square caged fan and blow air from outside and to my back, over where I am sanding, and out the double garage doors onto the neighbours black truck.

With an attached garage, I am very limited on what I can do. In a perfect world, I would not live here. I would have a decent sized piece of property, maybe an acre or two, and build a stand alone woodworking shop. About the size of two double garages. It would be on a crawl space so that I could run everything I need, electric and dist collection under the floor. I would plumb the shop vac through there as well. I would plum several outlets for air through the ceiling and down to some points on the walls

The shop would be insulated and I would have a small paint room built in which I would make as air tight as I could for finishing projects. I would build into this room, a down draft exhaust fan to pull the fumes downwards and discourage dust from stirring up into the air. I would have a bathroom in that building so that I could clean up rather than track all that sawdust shit into the house. No matter how many marts I have and how careful I am, that shit gets in the house in a big way when I am getting really into the planing and the like.

As far as fumes go, I have a respirator now. Many times I did some rattle can in a confined garage when I should not have, just using one of those cheap breathing filters that do nothing other than cause your glasses to fog up.

I have all my cabinet doors built and finished. Right now I am clearing our a bank of cabinets at a time, scrubbing the insides, sanding the surface and prime and paint the interiors. I can only do a bank at a time because we are using the kitchen as I do this. Once I have finished that, which should be by this weekend, I go at the fascia, and the exposed sides. Scrubbing them with de-glazing and wiping down well. Then paint and finish coat. That should be a two day job next week. And I will be done. Just have to get someone in to measure up the counter top and manufacture a new top for me. Those molded counter tops are beyond my capabilities.

I did the three bathrooms of the house just a couple moths ago and we are pleased with the turnout. Soon as this is done, and I get my next pension cheque, I start buying supplied to build my garage shop, turning it into something that is better suited fro what I do, all the while allowing the bike and all my gear to be stored and relatively dust free.

7. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Finally got my shop crane assembled yesterday. I'm really happy that it fits and when you fold it up, it really doesn't take up much space. Hopefully I can get my engine stand assembled today after work.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

8. Gator

Gator Insider

United States
    Map
    I have looked at that Harbor Frieght lift before, gets small.

9. marriedman

marriedman New Member

United States
    Map
    BWeiss - God that thing is fucking gorgeous!

Oh, and everyone else... I hate you and your awesome garages. Mine is pretty much overrun with wife and kids shit.

Bubba Utah likes this.
  10. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    ooooooofffff that mr2. I have always wanted one.

11. Scubalong

Scubalong Official Greeter?

United States
    I was wonder when you will post up :pound:
    Talk about space saving :thumb:

12. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, sorry about that. OK to be fair, I'll post up pics of my garage. I wasn't going to since it's a bit on the embarrassing side - it currently looks like a tornado hit. But before all of the reprimanding begins, all of my stuff is pushed out of the center of my garage and is a mess as I'm putting in ridge beams to raise the roof height. I want to be able to stand upright under my car lift.

IMG_20160309_180650462.jpg IMG_20160309_180717572_HDR.jpg IMG_20160309_180722226_HDR.jpg IMG_20160309_180750636_HDR.jpg

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    ^ Nice project there you have going on. it'll be sweet when it's all behind you.

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Na, he was pretty cool about it all once he got his bearings.

15. Knight

Knight New Member

United States
    Map
    For those of us without a workspace, this is inspiring, not embarrassing.

16. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    Oh yeah. Finally have my engine lift and stand assembled and thankfully they don't take up very much space.

Next up I need to pick up an engine load leveler and an impact wrench.

[​IMG]

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

17. RotaryRocketeer

RotaryRocketeer New Member

Your kid's got a sharp looking FC! Turbo II?

18. REEK

REEK New Member

United States
    Map
    yeah, I added the 26 x26 garage add on over the entire last summer (last pic). Took all summer including digging the foundation by hand. yes, by hand, for cost containment issues. Every night after work, put my headlight on and dug a foot down over about a month. then built the garage over the next 3 months, including pouring the slab in sections, while the wife was yelling "that's not a one man job" then entire time. I got a quote for the slab alone and they wanted $13,000 due to the structure being in a field far from the road.

In the end, I got my extra room, a chronic back ache, and forgot what my friends and family look like. But soooo worth it.

19. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I hear you on that. I've got drugs for that. I get orgasmic looking at shops like yours. I can only dream. But. Having a smaller shop causes you to reconsider getting it into such a fooken mess before giving it a cleaning. Also it is a challenge to find a place for everything and keeps the mind working figuring out the best way to utilize space. One problem I face though is if it is windy enough to draw the dust out the door, it seems to suck some of my mind away at the same time.

20. BWeiss

BWeiss Johnny Partseed

United States
    Map

Hey, I live in the area. If you ever need a second pair of hands, or another back, just let me know. I'll try to get over there and help you out. I'm fairly handy...last fall I replaced my roof and added recessed lighting, ceiling fans, and a whole house fan.