Mello's mods

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by mello dude, Feb 22, 2007.

1. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Wow -you like the 4th person in 5 years to ask about those brackets. These are my own design and I had them machined for me locally. I orginally was thinking I could sell a run of 20 sets. But there were no takers. I did this about 6 years ago. So I'm guessing if you wanted to make a set, I'm guessing it would go for 250 dollars. Kinda expensive. -- A hot tip for you, if you replace the front forks with F4i forks and a 6th gen triple tree, you get better forks and a lot more parts that would fit. -Let me know if you have any more questions. Also visit VFRD.com for some good information too.

(holy old thread)

2. rebuild theripy

rebuild theripy New Member

Hi, I contact you about your front fender brackets for my modified VFR800(1998) and you said the brackets would be about $250. I am now ready to go forward with my rebuild and would like to firm up the cost of the brackets, and how to pay. Since I live in Australia, would it be possible to sent a drawing of the brackets for a suitable fee and I can get them made here. Please let me know. I am open to suggestions

3. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    Rebuild-
    Sorry I have been draging my feet on this. But please let me know if you are still interested in these fender brackets, I have 4 others at the moment asking for a set and am pricing out to make a batch.

-- Dec 24 -- Selling bracket conversion set for $79 plus shipping.

Thanks

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  4. Keenaz

Keenaz New Member

Hey mate new to the site. I reckon you have done a crack job on the bike. And your comments on the CBR1000rr are spot on. Yeah we could all go and buy a Superbike just like we could all go and buy a GTR Skyline (or the like), but some of us want something different.

Ive just bought a VFRr400 for the track in the hope that I can get my need for speed of the roads and onto the track. It now makes me wonder if I need my KTM Superduke for the road (the thing is a freakin terrorist - only off or ON!).

For me there is nothing as good as the V4 motor and running a modified 800 that sounds the nuts and can keep up with the other boys and there supersport toys on the mountains where you only ride at70-80% is appealing. It's like owning an old school Mustang, not the fastest or best handling on the road but and blast to enjoy.

Can you tell me more about the F4 upgrade? Im going to look at an 800 next week and would be interest in dropping some weight, improving suspension and braking and upping the power a little.

5. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    ^^^ Some guys have taken 6th gen triples and bars, and then F4i forks, brakes. The wheel/rotor can be the stock VFR800 or the F4i will work too. I understand that it is a good setup. Still others, have gone to RC51 forks with SP1 triples, and that is a whole another level of chasing down all the parts. Mine, I went for simple. I kept the 5th gen triples, used VTR lowers, VFR800 uppers, Traxxion Dynamics valving, RC51 calipers and master cylinder, stock VFR800 wheel rotor. -- For a street focused bike, I cant really complain about how well it works. Once in a while I think about going to a USD setup, but a quick run thru the twists and I think "well, never mind."

6. tefal

tefal New Member

hmm if you went the F4i and 6th triples route would you likley have to machine off the steering stops etc or would it fit you reckon (had a look on vfrd and other places and can only dine people contemplating it not having done it)

same for the axel and spacers?

7. mello dude

mello dude Administrator

Romania
    Map
    The 6th triples are a drop in, no machining needed. Stock wheel and spacers should be fine. Would need 6th bars or a bar solution. Scott Licott did the job and had no problems.

8. tefal

tefal New Member

cool have you got a link to the thread? (i have no idea who scott is sorry lol)