Mission VF 750F 2012 Restore

Discussion in '1st & 2nd Generation 1983-1989' started by rainman6, Jan 14, 2012.

1. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Mission VF 750F "85" Restore

I have taken on my mission project for 2012. To restore a sad VF750 back to its glory days . I will take photos as I go, and probably ask you folk lots of questions as I am new to this.
    The updates will come slowly as I plan to be entertained all year over this mission - although once I get started...

Here she is on day one - Looks rough but other than a spongy front brake and two mufflers that are not clamped onto header pipes and leaking very badly / noisy everything seems to work OK. No oil mods and 56,000km. Cams maybe sad but don't know yet

+ Xmas 2011 026.jpg Xmas 2011 027.jpg

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  2. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Day Two> The primer was a bit rough and some plastics had cracks in them so I thought I better find out whats under the primer. I slapped on some paint stripper and hit it with the water blaster - found lots of panel beating under the paint and some broken plastic that needs better repairs before starting to re panel beat. From here I need to sort out garage before I start to strip down bike.

Xmas 2011 033.jpg Xmas 2011 032.jpg Xmas 2011 031.jpg Xmas 2011 030.jpg

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  3. Dukiedook

Dukiedook New Member

Map
    I think it is pretty safe to say the exhaust configs on the 500 and 750 are very different. What exact year do you have there?

4. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Its an 1985 - Ive got it largly stripped down now. I guess at heart I knew that about the exhausts, I just got excited when both popped up for sale new and very cheap and I thought maybe... . I am having trouble with the romving the rear cam cover as the frame seems to be in the way. I will be removing the motor anyway but is it normal to have to remove the motor to get the cover off? I can see the cam lobes though and all but one are like new, however one has got some wear and is a rough surface.

5. Pops

Pops New Member

I have an 83, and had the same challenge with the cam cover till someone here gave me a tip a couple of weeks ago. Make sure the wiring harnesses are out of the way and flatten the harness retainers against the frame. I also removed the coils for more working room. Tilt the right side up and rotate the cover CCW, all the while moving it forward as much as you can. I recall a lot of wiggling and some swearing, but once it was free I thought "...well, that wasn't so tough!"

6. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Thanks Pops you were right. I got the wiring loom, radiator hoses etc stripped out and then it was easy. Thought I was pushing them out of the way enough the other day but they must have been restricting me too much still. Ive only worked on old dirt bikes in the past, the VF is so much easier - even though its old all the bolts come out and it hasnt been patched up 1000 times over like a dirt bike.

7. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Progess has been made

So now I have got her completly stripped down and have a rough plan of where to from here:scooter:

Get frame sandblasted - Done -I dropped it off today:cool:

Get frame powder coated or painted, yet to decide.

Source a replacement Exhaust system as collector is stuffed - Done - Got a 4-1 coming my way, second hand & will need sandblast and somw treatment to pretty it up.

Clean, polish, paint everything - have just drained 2 cans of degreaser on the swingarm which is a start, what methods do you guru's use to get the bike bits shiny again?

Source replacement plastics as mine have been patched up too much to ever stay looking good - Possibly have some lined up sourced through VFR world but I have to get them sent from the USA to New Zealand and its not proving to be straight forward. If anyone has some advice here please share!

Source rear shock replacement and get machine up and sprung to suit.

Rekit front shocks​
    lots more too bt I'll stop now before I go on too much. A couple of snapshots to keep it interesting.

Vf750F 046.JPG Vf750F 031.JPG

All Cam lobes were like new apart from this one and one other that has slight pitting. Oil Mod gonna happen. Cam past it? Maybe remove and get built up?

8. jeremyr62

jeremyr62 New Member

Ireland
    Map
    Cam looks OK to me compared to some of the horror pics I've seen. Just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse over time. Keep in mind the mileage you are likely to do on your refurbished pride and joy. I suspect many of the old VFs on here do very little these days.

9. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Time for an update.... Have cleaned up motor and resprayed in engine enamel.

VF750 007.jpg VF750 010.jpg

Got sand blasted frame back. Still haven't decided to paint or powder coat.

VF750 005.jpg

The Old exhausts and collector was absolutely stuffed, holes everywhere. Sourced a good and cheap 4-1 so that will do nicely thank you!
    The replacement 4-1 exhaust has arrived. I didn't sand blast, just gave a good steel wool sand and painted with header heat rated paint, can was almost empty before I started so got more to do.
    Will get a new slip on once bike is assembled.

VF750 008.jpg VF750 009.jpg

Cleaned the carbs and checked operation. One Slider was sticky so cleaned that out. Diddnt do too much to carbs yet as they were functioning OK before I pulled the bike apart and I don't want to cause an issue where there isn't one! And I figure I'm gonna need to re-jet and play around further down the track because of the 4-1 exhaust.

Vf750F 041.jpg VF750 012.jpg
    "What NOT to do to your carbs" "Got them back together OK springs, plastic tubes and all" - although the leak test hasn't happened yet!

The wiring harness was a mess so I got a replacement coming.. Check out the nice fuse. VF750 003.jpg

So thats about it for now. I ='ve got new shiny body work and some other bits coming from Dutchwurx...although apparently its "Too Cold" over there for him to stay in his garage for long periods of time and get it all packed up. You fullas need to harden up over there I got a bike to build!!:chaingun:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  10. Pops

Pops New Member

Wow, you're really makin' progress...guess I better get crackin' on mine! Update and pics look great! Hey, what kind of exhaust is that and where did you find it?

11. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    There is no brand name on the exhaust. My guess is an exhaust shop has made it up as it looks really well made but not factory like. Even the muffler looks like it was made at the same time and its all welded solid together and from the same thick steel. I will get a new muffler and get some slip on joints welded on.
    I picked it up from a bike wrecker shop all for $100. I couldnt seem to find a replacement collector box in NZ so had to go the 4-1 way.

My carbs dont look shiny new like yours Pops - how do you attach the photos to the blog so they are full size not small like my ones? I must be doing something wrong but I dont know what.

12. Pops

Pops New Member

First I load my pics online to photobucket. The ones I want to use in my thread I simply copy as an .img file - then I paste it where I want it in my entry. I discovered it by accident since I'm not much of a tech-head...it's simple and it works for me.

13. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    Hey..not much fun working on bikes in a block building at night when its 13F degrees out!! Especially when it has no HEAT! Whats the hurry Rainman? You have a nice running bike in the background of your frame picture..HA. When you're shipping half a bike to New Zealand it takes a lil time to get it packed up..more work, less whine and you'll be ready for the parts when they get there..HA again. Seriously..you're gonna be one happy camper when you see what im sending you. Bikes looking good..keep up the good work.

14. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Dutchwurx what are you doing on the computer!!:biggrin: Put a coat on so you dont catch a cold and get back to your block building. Im getting grief from the better half about sending our life savings to some random blogger on the other side of the world. She wont be a happy camper until the shiny bike bits are on the move...and when she not happy...you know the rest:frown:
    Just winding ya up mate but I am looking forward to seeing those photos of it all packed up!!

15. dutchwurx

dutchwurx New Member

Map
    lol..mama aint happy, nobodys happy..i know the feeling. shes gonna be happy soon..you're gonna have one pretty bike. ive spent more time rounding up packing material than pulling parts but..im ready. Monday it will be on the way to NZ via Cali..its a promise. I want pics when its done.

16. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Every day that clear coat gets to cure before being put in a box is plus in my book. Patience.:wink: I'm sure it will look great. I love when these things get brought back, can't wait for the photos.

Just curious, no one has a paint gun in NZ?

17. GreyVF750F

GreyVF750F Member

United States
    Map

+1 0n that. You will get a lot of compliments later I'm sure. Just remember more pic's!:leghump:

18. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Haha -yes I think there are a couple of paint guns here..one in the north isaland and one in the south. But the plastics have been patched and welded a lot and still have crack, tabs missing and someone has used ordinary metal body filler on them which will keep cracking. I dont know what happened to the tank, it is also covered in bog which has rust coming out from under neath it. Dutchwurx has saved the day! With all original body work. I will have to repaint and use my front mudgaurd and belly pan.
    Now I wonder where the paint gun is? :wink:

19. rainman6

rainman6 New Member

Map
    Oil mod

Heres some photos of my oil mod - ordered the parts and then had a debate whether to put it in or not. I decided to A - because it looks cool and B - maybe it will help any further wear, or maybe not - I'll keep VFRW posted either way.

Feb VF750F 021.jpg Shows hole where cap is removed from Main oil gallery, and the flat spot on outside of casting to drill new entry into. I filed off the raised lip and centered hole on edge where the lip was, this provides more clearance between frame and new fitting when assembled.

Feb VF750F 024.jpg I put a paper towel into the gallery and taped over another small hole to stop any metal flakes going wher they shouldn't. Also after I threaded the new entry I used a cotton bud with oil on it to clean out. With a bit of care it is quite easy to ensure no metal entered gallery.

Feb VF750F 030.jpg I needed a 2mm restrictor in the new oil line (to minimize pressure drop at main bearings while still producing an increased oil supply to Cams) so I drilled out the center of a 3/16 screw and tapped a thread into the adapter. Then with super thread locked screw in place. Then cut the head of the screw off and filed smooth.

Feb VF750F 031.jpg

Feb VF750F 033.jpg Mission complete!!

NOTE - if I was to do this again I would save a lot of money by reusing the existing oil lines. I worked this out after I had purchased the braided line materials. It is possible to remove the existing solid oil feed and turn it around, with a bit of gentle manipulation it fits nicely and the banjo fitting end finishes by the starter motor. So then you just need 1 elbow and a short length of braided hose and something to connect it to the existing line. I suspect under the lowish pressure you could cut the banjo off and slide the braided hose onto the solid oil line and then use hose clamps - just an idea.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  20. hopit88

hopit88 New Member

United States
    Boy that's going to look nice in the frame.