Mixed Tires? sugested or a do not do?

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by Molsan, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    I need a new back tire, I've read some threads suggesting brands and wanted to go to a dual compound road tire as I do a lot of straight line touring and around town.(i wear out the center :(

I have a fairly new front tire how ever that is the Metzler sporttek that seams to be the default tire.

Is it possible to Swap the rear tire to a Michelin Pilot dual compound and leave the front tire until it needs replacing and then swap it with the Michelin?

Not riding real hard but want to be safe.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  2. betarace

betarace New Member

in general there are two considerations about mixing brands/models
    1) water displacement - mixing tread designs could (in remote cases) cause some incompatibility in the water displacement characteristics of the tire - tires are designed to be used as a pair with the front and rear tire displacing water as a "team" if you dont ride in the rain this isnt an issue

2) profile - similar to the above, mixing and matching profiles isnt a great idea as you could (again remotely) change some of the geometry and turning characteristics of the bike due to two different profiles. In general staying within the same "line" of tires across a brand (e.g., pirelli diablo DCIII and Diablo corse or Bridgestone BT15,16,21,23) is OK.

tires are going for $200-220 a pair shipped these days (use thefind.com to find deals) so why not match tires? - my 2c

3. Keager

Keager Member

United States
    Map
    done it in the past and never had issues. Usually it wasn't long after that the other wore out, and I try not to get caught in the rain.

4. CrazyRussian

CrazyRussian New Member

I have the same issue. My back tire got flat after 4500 miles and front still good both MZ4, I guess. I change only back to Metzler Road track because it was $79 including shipment and I did not notice any negative reaction from them. Next time will put Michelin Road on both.
    Gino

5. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    Done it on occasion over the past 15+ years. Never an issue with handling wet or dry. I believe that replacing both with the same brand/model is always best of course, however, IMO (for your average street riding) keeping one old one on with a different brand is no biggie to me.

6. Molsan

Molsan New Member

Map
    Thanks for the input.
    Think I'll be okay as I really don't push it hard nor do I plan to. Not doing a great deal of rain riding as I have no planned trips and day ride now(wife and kids really kill that).

Now I just nead to figure out where to buy, any suggestions on on-line stores?(I live in Alberta)

7. Joey_Dude

Joey_Dude Member

United States
    Map
    I've done that before and like others are saying try not to push them too hard. Ideally, you should have a sportier tire at the front. Some people even purposely put a sport tire on the front and a sport-touring tire on the rear to increase mileage.

FWIW, I've heard good reviews on people using a BT-016 on the front and a BT-021 on the rear.