more questions 4th to 3rd

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by jethro, Sep 6, 2020.

1. jethro

jethro New Member

United States
    Map
    Been doing some reading and I saw a thread way back when that a 4th gen center stand will fit the 3rd gen which then allows you to use a 4th gen exhaust without the collector box which should be much a much lighter proposition for the bike. I would really like to put a 4th gen exhaust on my 3rd gen, but am not going to give up my center stand. I am very intrigued that it may be doable now that I have seen this. Of course I would need to find a 4th gen stand and I have never searched and don't know about how available they are.

2. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    4th gen stands are widely available. 3rd gen stands were an option and are not common. They look totally different. You cannot find the 3rd gen stands on the parts list.
    3rd gen stand has a bracket that goes around the frame to mount the center stand.
    93 stand.jpg
    4th gen appears to mount directly to the frame
    4th gen.jpg
    Yes the exhaust will interchange but the muffler mounting is different on the 4th gen. the exhaust is a pain in the ass to remove and you would do better going aftermarket than using a 4th gen. Yes you may save a little weight but the price of a used exh and center stand would be almost an aftermarket system.
    The weight is very low on the bike and i do not think you would notice any gains. May also require rejetting. This is not an easy bike to work on. I thought of doing this to but to much money and work for something you will not even see. Just my 2 cents worth. I took as much weight off my bike as i could but it will never be a light bike. lol

3. jethro

jethro New Member

United States
    Map
    If a 4th gen stand will fit a 3rd gen there will be a 3rd gen center stand for sale once I get the whole deal done. I would really like to hear from someone that has done the 4th gens center stand on a 3rd gen. I have done more reading with opposing views on if it works. Weight is the enemy of performance in all aspects and I tend to go overboard trying to remove it. I just took the stock turn signals etc off the bike and plugged them in like the 4th gen rears. 1.65 pounds are gone and the bike looks so much better.

4. hondaman219

hondaman219 New Member

United States
    Map
    amen to removing weight. I removed the rear grab bars, Cut off the passenger pegs. trimmed the rear fender. removed the rear plate light. removed the rear reflectors. replaced the oem muffler. took alot of stickers off. lol every little bit helps. Oh I can remove 20# by leaving all the fuel out. But what fun is that. Why honda put those ugly stalk turn signals on the back is a mystery to me. Still not a light bike. Ride her for a season or two and change things as you go. your going to have her for a long long time. Look into the regulator repair and solder the alternator connector. Mine started to melt. Sometimes it cost alot more money to weight less.

5. ridervfr

ridervfr Member

Belgium
    Map
    Its a long love affair, my 91 I bought in 95 and still runs as good as the day I bought it used (poor first wife, I should really say, "pre-owned") thats the name of my black one. White one I got back in 2016 or so - She don't have a name though. Anyway, no centre stand here, I use a service stand and am happy wit that

Attached Files:

6. jethro

jethro New Member

United States
    Map
    I have a race stand for the ZRX as there is no center stand option, but it does me no good out on the road somewhere. Kind of a pain in the butt to lube the chain on a long trip or heaven forbid something more serious. If one is available I will have one, although I still want to make it a light as I can.