Moto Tote hitch carrier

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by zeebandit, Jul 26, 2018.

1. zeebandit

zeebandit New Member

United States
    Any one ever use one to transport their VFR?

2. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    For short distances, and if your hitch is Class III or above, then if would be possible. I've traveled with a bike set sideways like that, only it
    was on a trailer. They do some serious rocking around so you'd need to make sure the body wouldn't contact any part that would cause issues.

3. 34468 Randy

34468 Randy Secret Insider

Canada
    Map
    Dry weight on the 6th gen is 458 pounds and teh monufacter rates this carrier at 600. It should do the trick but before I am to by one, I would expect them to guarantee my satisfaction for the unit in writing with a full refund if not satisfied with its ability to safely and securely movemy bike. If that thing is going to wobble and move around, I want my money back as there is no way in hell I would be haaving my bike hang on the back of my truck shaking like grandpa having a violent bowel movement.

If you get one, please, please, please, do a product review here so we can all benifit from your experience.

4. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    Ya know?
    the more I read about that setup and think about it, the more I like it. I jsut may get one myself. Got a refund for a leather upholstery kit and drivers seat cushion for the truck I just wrote off so have a chunk of money sitting in my PayPal account to find something to spend it on.

5. zeebandit

zeebandit New Member

United States
    Still doing research on this product. I have a 2016 Chevy Colorado that can tow 7,000 LBS. Tongue weight shouldn't be a problem.

6. 34468 Randy

Canada
    Map
    I have no doubt that your Colorado will handle the weight of the bike hanging behind the rear axle. Just remember though. That is significant weight transfer away from your front wheels. That will affect the control of your vehicle. Be aware of that and drive accordingly. If there is someone here more knowledgeable on this please speak up. Now would not be the time to remain quiet on that aspect

What I would be most concerned with is your trailer hitch. A 2" receiver type hitch is not enough in my humble opinion. My truck has a 2 1/2 inch receiver. And of course, the appropriate strength in the rest of the hitch's design and build.

7. FJ12rydertoo

FJ12rydertoo Member

United States
    Map
    You'd have to go to a Class V hitch to get bigger than 2". The Class III is rated at 1000 lbs. and Class IV is rated at 1400 lbs.
    Both have a 2" receiver.