Mt. Rushmore area shop?

Discussion in 'USA - Central' started by ZenMoto, May 1, 2009.

1. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Hey all, I'm not sure if it falls into Central, or Mountain, but I'm going to be riding cross-country from NY to LA going the Northern route, and if my calculations are correct, I'll need tires somewhere around Mt.Rushmore, SD.

Can anyone recommend a shop in the general area (I don't mind wandering off course a bit) where I could order tires and have them waiting for my arrival?

Much thanks! :)

D

2. Seamus07

Seamus07 New Member

It has been awhile since I lived out there, but the dealership I liked working with was in Spearfish. They sell Honda and Yamaha. My neighbor bought his BMW R1200 from the BMW/Yamaha/Suzuki shop in Sturgis and says they were top notch. My experience with the dealerships in Rapid City over the years hasn't been as good, but like I said, it has been a long time.

Mt. Rushmore is in the central Hills and there aren't franchised dealers there. If you want to risk it, the Black Hills vicinity is peppered with independent repair shops. I don't have personal knowledge about the quality of any of those.

Assuming you're arriving in the Hills via I-90, your best routes through the Hills to Rushmore are going to be from Sturgis or Spearfish, not Rapid City. The road to Rushmore from Rapid City is mostly 4 lane, widened, flattened highway. From Sturgis or Spearfish you get to see some of the best of the Hills and enjoy some winding roads. Yet another reason to use one of the shops in Sturgis or Spearfish.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me for anything more specific. Oh, and you cross into the Mountain time zone a little west of the Missouri River, about half way through South Dakota.

3. ZenMoto

ZenMoto New Member

United States
    Map
    Thanks a lot for the info. I'll look up the shop in Spearfish and give them a shout. ...I'm avoiding roads wider than 2 lanes as much as possible for the duration of the trip, so that's some good info you just sent my way. :thumbsup:

Thanks again!

Dale