Multiple Gen Exhaust System

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by RogueRC24, Jun 23, 2021.

1. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Probably a stupid question that I can't find the answer to on my own, but since the engine is the same (externally) for multiple generations, could an exhaust from a newer gen fit gen 1 bikes? Beside Hindle (which just emailed that they will build more gen 1 exhausts) nobody has an aftermarket exhaust for gen 1 that I could find.

thanks!

2. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Nah, not really. There's enough differences you would be making configuration changes that wouldn't be trivial.

And there's some difference of opinion on what "gen 1" refers too. Conventional wisdom in the U.S. is that it refers to 83 - 85 VF700/750F. And 86 - 87 is 2nd Gen.

3. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The stock headers on the 86 are really not that bad. Best bet is to keep an eye open for a used 4-2-1 slip on, they were quite common in the day. Then use whatever muffler you want.

[​IMG]

Another option if your mufflers are trash is to cut them off right at the muffler and use the remaining bits for a "custom" 4 into 2 system. A couple simple connecting pipes to mufflers of your choice. This method also retains the cross-over right in front the rear wheel and the bike runs really good. You can also eliminate the passenger peg mounts and have some "high mount" connecting pipes made to some after market mufflers.

That is essentially what the Kerker "slip-on" system was. So I just sourced some trashed mufflers to use the pipes.

[​IMG]

4. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Oh shit... I forgot you have bastardized 88 - 89 system. They are VERY different from 86 - 87.

If you wanna go budget and have a pretty nice system, find a 86 - 87 system and cut the thrashed mufflers. It is all individual headers, no "collector".

5. Skipper

Skipper New Member

Australia
    Map
    Sorry to be a late responder to this but I only just came across the thread
    Beware (as I wrote in another thread where they thought '86 - '89 engines were the same exhaust port angles -that depends what country you live in!
    I own both an '87 model (built Dec '86) and an '89 model (built Dec '88) and live in Australia
    We received '88 - '89 models with an up rated cylinder head - larger valves and different exit angles for the exhaust ports thus requiring a different exhaust piping system than that on the earlier bikes.
    I have a suspicion that this may not have happened in the USA untill '90 year model but don't know for sure so just be carefull when contemplating interchanging exhaust systems............. just sayin :)

6. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Essentially I have an 88/89 UK FJ/K. It has a Motad full system. 4-2-1. the last section including the muffler is 20+ lbs. I will probably just keep everything up to the 2-1 joint. It looks like 2 x 1.5"/2" pipe, sitting .5" apart and coming out dead center below the shock linkage. I have photos on my build page. Maybe I will take clearer photo for easier understanding. I have a really good welder friend, I just need to find the can I want to use and some piping. I want this bike to sound nasty but not so bad I don't want to ride on the highway. :)

Any recommendations for modern mufflers welcome.
    I put a Fuel Exhaust on my Hawk and it sounds sweet so that maybe the easy option right now.

7. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    The Tyga I put on the RC26 is beautiful looking and sounding. And was reasonable.

20210422_111728.jpg 20210422_111747.jpg 20210422_111757.jpg
    Mount it where you want it and have a connecting pipe made. The header system you have is good.

8. Skipper

Skipper New Member

Australia
    Map
    I see you have a "UK" model and yes - the same as Australia with the new (different) exhaust port angles but since you identify that you are only going to change the back end you should pretty much do whatever you want, problemw would only arrise from the collector forward
    Best of luck with the project, allways interesting to do a little custom work on ones bike :scooter:

I have opted to re-sleave the muffler in light gauge stainless steel with new stainless bends incorporated forward to the collector
    This action being taken because of unrealistic costs associated with a re-make of the whole system, the remainder will receive patches as required because it is all hidden anyway

RogueRC24 likes this.
  9. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Dude, I just looked at Tyga yesterday and was wondering if anyone had one mounted. I really wanted to to go with that so, F yah!! Get that bad boy on order this weekend maybe. I really like that company. Solid customer service and great parts so far. Although I was thinking of a carbon, but that is $320 or so.

10. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    Shitty pic

[​IMG]

11. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Nice bike makes up for the pic. That exhaust has now inspired me. Thanks dude. 380mm or 450mm? Looks like 450.

12. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    Are you going to build your own Skipper or have someone do it for you? I would like to see what you end up with! Fun to see all the variants.!

13. Skipper

Skipper New Member

Australia
    Map
    Planning to build them myself, just now attacking other parts of the project but should have them done this side of Christmas.
    I have already dismantled one of the mufflers but must make a jig to ensure the correct angle of the bends when welding things back together
    The original mufflers were badly gravel rashed, both sides so the poor ol' bike has had a tough history
    Someone must have thought they were a "racer" - the centre stand had holes worn through the tubes on both sides from scraping the pavement too many times?

14. NorcalBoy

NorcalBoy Member

The Tyga carbon cans look and sound pretty decent. $270 each + shipping.

[​IMG]

15. Captain 80s

Captain 80s Member

United States
    450. I test rode the bike with a 380mm D&D can and it was a bit too gnarly on this exhaust. I know they are not the same can, but it was the first time people were snapping their head around when I was approaching. The 450 just sounds sweet, but still plenty racy. I really wanted to run the shorter can for aesthetics, but didn't want to live with it.

16. RogueRC24

RogueRC24 Member

United States
    I was eyeballing the Carboooon Can. They are sexy. I will go with whatever the wife chooses. It will either be Alum or Charbone. :) Most likely 380 just because I ride so little and I hate harley wanna-be thugs in my county who love buzzing cars and revving their engines. They sell meth and ride like fuck heads and have slowly been taken over by doctors with mega chrome faux leather dangly bits.