My 91 Streetfighter project.....

Discussion in '3rd & 4th Generation 1990-1997' started by rngdng, Nov 22, 2007.

1. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have to put the seat back together now; that's not gonna be any fun.

Lane

2. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

Looking pretty cool. Love the tail light. I have the exact same one on my CB750, picked it up for $5 on e-bay.
    [​IMG]

I'm into streefighters too, here's my second project:
    [​IMG]

I know, not a VFR but still fun (and dangerous) to ride.
    My first streetfighter was a tricked out GS500.

3. derstuka

derstuka Lord of the Wankers Staff Member

Map
    I've enjoyed reading your progress and seeing the old girl come together. You have done a very clean job so far. Nice work. Have you thought about some sort of "lip" or plastic piece fabricated to go behind the headlights on the forks to kind of clean it up even more and hide some of the wiring?

Oh, and IMO, I would change the color of the front fender to black, red, or even try and find a carbon one.

4. rngdng

rngdng New Member

That's AWESOME! Beautiful job. That's a stock fairing, cut down?

We got the seat finished. My wife made the cover and I installed it. Here's a picture:

Lane

Attached Files:

5. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Yeah, I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a good way to hide the wiring a bit better. I'll get it eventually. The fender is so difficult to mount, that I'll destroy the paint. I may look into a carbon unit later, but for now, it stays silver. Most of my other bikes have different colored fenders....chrome! :wink:

Lane

6. sussi

sussi New Member

Map
    Sorry. Don´t understand why it is problem geting the front fender on???
    You might have to remove the front wheel but that is not a big thing to overcome. And one small tip. If you spray (or the person that paint´s your bike) the plastic parts using flexible additif in the paint it does not crack if it is bent a litle. (I know, spraypainting is my job)

7. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Thanks for the tip, but they don't put that stuff in the spray cans I use for painting. :biggrin: You may be right; with the wheel off, I might get away with it. Thanks for your comments.

Lane

8. sussi

sussi New Member

Map
    Thank you too. I realy like what you are doing to your bike. It gifs me lot of ideas. :smile: I have a ´88 model that went into a ditch few year´s ago and I´m thinking of some home made rebuilding. since I got my ´89 model

9. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

Thanks! It's a fairing I got off of fly-n-cycle. A little smaller than I was hoping for but still looks killer. I went with the chrome model to match the frame and wheels.

BTW, here's my first streetfighter project. Everyone referred to it as the Chuck Norris bike. LOL! If you're wondering, it's a GS500 with GSXR750 forks, NT650 swing arm and some other assorted bits and pieces. All by me, even the paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I ran a Veypor on it but never did get the tach to work worth a damn. It was close but twitchy and a little slow to read.

10. rngdng

rngdng New Member

I like that one, too. That's the first bike I've seen that looks good with Astec lights in it. They usually stick out too far in front to look right. Again, nice work.

Lane

11. Paxtonpony

Paxtonpony New Member

Ya, I agree. They need to be mounted right but they look hella good when they're in the sweet spot. The big plus is they have the best lighting of all my projects. My big gripe is the cost. That's why I went with the fairing on the GSXR, plus it covers up all the wiring.

12. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Yeah, I like that fairing. It might look right on my VFR. I'm thinking seriously about it. Thanks for the link.

Lane

13. rngdng

rngdng New Member

Basically Done....

OK, I got it all together. A leaking fuel pump held me up for another week. I got my Ebay-special fuel pump today, and it's not leaking! YEA!!

Here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now to get tires, and go to the DMV!

Lane

14. VT Viffer

VT Viffer New Member

United States
    Map
    Great work on this project thus far!

However, I think that the silver front fender detracts from the overall look of the bike. Makes the bike look like it has a big nose. Rattle-can black would go a long way to cleaning up the lines.

Just my two cents...

15. Marley Davidson

Marley Davidson New Member

Map
    Good luck with your cool streetfigther! Looks nice!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  16. pontiacformula99

pontiacformula99 New Member

That's one sweet look'n fighter. The desert camo on stealth black looks sharp. Now all you need is a .50 cal mounted on the bars:biggrin:

17. aawhite

aawhite New Member

Love the rear fairing, with the new generation signal lights integrated into the tail light, there's no need for the bulky tail light/turn signals. I agree with VT Viffer about the front fender, a little to bulky but, overall it looks mint.

Great Work

18. rngdng

rngdng New Member

I don't have signals on the bike at all. That taillight is just a taillight, although I can get an integrated unit exactly that shape. Here in South Carolina, signals are optional, BUT if they are on the bike, they are supposed to work. A little weird.....

I really don't know what kind of front fender that is; I bought it off EvilBay thinking it was a stock unit. NOT! Oh well. I may put on one of those fairings like in one of the earlier posts. I'm also going to install the handlebar adapters I have so I can use tubular bars. My fused, right wrist isn't happy with the riding position below about 60 mph.

It runs pretty well. It could use a little carb tweaking. I took it out for a little while today (with a tag from one of my other bikes! shhhh!).

Lane

19. rngdng

rngdng New Member

OK, I did buy the fairing, and installed the handlebar adapters. The adapter setup I purchased off Ebay included the brake hoses, but I had to make new throttle cables and clutch line. I had a set of cables from an 84 Nighthawk S, and all of the fittings were the same, so I shortened them to work on this bike. I also had to make a longer choke cable. I modified one from one of my other bikes.

The gas tank is presently off due to a leaky petcock. My brand new one should get here this week. The seating position is much more relaxed, and I got a great deal on the handlebars/clamps. This thing is almost done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lane

20. aawhite

aawhite New Member

that looks a lot nicer.. good work