My New VFR...I hope

Discussion in 'Canada & Alaska' started by whitestar, Feb 2, 2007.

1. veefer800canuck

veefer800canuck New Member

The thing that catches out most US riders looking at Canadian used bike prices is not simply the exchange rate.

If you merely crunch $Cdn to $Usd, the bike will ALWAYS look more expensive than one from stateside.

Our population base is 10% that of the US and by extension, so is the motorcycle market. Maybe even less, given our short riding season that might tip some folks to ATV's instead of bikes.

So, sadly, there isn't really any direct correlation between US and Canadian used MC prices.

Having said all that, $4700 OTD does seem like too much, even for the GWN.

I'd go for about 4 grand if the bike is in stellar condition bodywise, well maintained and ready to ride with no repairs.

2. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    I called this guy out of curiosity, he lives in Scarsboroh Ontario, he said he would take $4000.00 but the price is negoshable, which means to me he would take $3500.00. Got it from this website...http://www.vfr.on.ca/sale/for_sale.html

(July 2006) Jay is selling a 1993 VFR750F, 30,000 km, new sprocket and brake pads, running synthetic oil, runs great, looks great. $4700 OBO. Contact Jay at 416-616-8053

3. whitestar

whitestar New Member

R.W. man your awsome. I will be calling this guy today.
    Cheers
    Mike

4. whitestar

whitestar New Member

Ok so with the help of R.W. i have found one in my price range. Its another 1991 VFR 750. Well maintained 60 000km, which i underwstand it not much for a VFR. He will certify it and even bring it to my town for $ 3000 CDN. The original owner powder coated the wheels white,
    Recent parts include:
    New Battery
    New Fork Seals
    New Spark Plugs
    New Air filter
    New Fuel filter
    New rear tire (front tire changed not long ago)
    New fuel pump
    Replaced a few missing bolts
    Oil filter and oil changed every 5000km and everyspring
    New front brakes
    The guy has been upfront with me and explained it was dropped once while not moving, and repaired all the damage.
    So....what do you think?

Attached Files:

5. green1

green1 New Member

Looks ok and the price is seems right,i bought my 90 last year for 4000 Canadian with 39K KMS,it was mint and one owner,you get a seat and pipe too,it would be good to go for a road test if possible and run it through the gears under some load and check the brakes for any pulsation

6. grinder

grinder New Member

From what I understand the importing issues for bikes are nothing like they are for cars. Someone I know regularly inports bikes from the states. At last count he had 12 bikes. Swears it is the way to go. There are no duties on bikes and from what I under you only have to pay the salestax. I haven't done it myself and unfortunately the guy in question is touring the Baja on his bike at the moment so I can't check with him. If you are tight for cash and don't mind doing some research it is worth considering.

7. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    It looks pretty sweet in the pics. I like those white wheels. You have to at least take a look at it. If it's as good as it sounds, or cloe, then I'd say it is easily worth that. Nice. Also, all those maintenance items that are done recently saves you some cash so that you can get riding sooner and for less $$.

8. whitestar

whitestar New Member

Thanks for the replies. I will take a drive down and look it over good before i commit to anything. Hopefully the roads will be clear so i can take it for a ride.

9. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    One thing I always do when buying a used bike is figure if I can sell it for around what I paid for it in a year or so, that way if you upgrade down the road your not out to much money. My current bike is the exception to my rule, I went hog wild on the upgrades because I think I'll have it for a long time.

Did you see the new 99 VFR on craigslist? Maybe pick it up for $ $3500.00 on a lot less Kilometers and 8 years newer...

http://toronto.craigslist.org/mcy/277244140.html

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  10. whitestar

whitestar New Member

At that low of a price wouldent you be concerned? Seems like a steal to me, almost to good to be true?

11. R.W.

R.W. New Member

United States
    Map
    Couple of questions if you don't mind will help me understand better.

1. Why do you like the VFR, for the twistys, touring or being a commuter bike
    2. Do you plan on keeping this bike for a long time?
    3. At the beginning of this thread you was willing to spend $4400.00 CDN, does that still apply?
    Thanks

12. Timbercat

Timbercat New Member

CDN prices are certainly higher than U.S. on toys for boys, whether it's snowmobiles, bikes, cars, u name it. I bought my snowmobile and my Nighthawk in the US. YOU WILL SAVE $$$$ buying in the US, particularly with the Loonie hovering at .85 - .90.
    Customs is a piece of cake coming northbound. They need paperwork at the border for 3 days in order to check for liens, theft and country of origin to assess potential import fees. When bringing the bike to Canada all you pay at the border is GST(Gouge & Screw Tax) as long as the bike was manufactured in the US. You pay the provincial tax when u register the bike for plates. Check out CCRA.ca - Canada Customs & Revenue, they have a link to the import registrar of Canada which is an agency that has all the details, fees and rules about importing cars, bikes etc. Restrictions by model for cars, what vehicles require changes if any. It is really simple for a bike.
    Have the paperwork sent by courier in advance to the border and then when you pick up the bike in the US it's clear sailing back to Canada at the border as they will already have processed it.
    Take yer time, find a decent bike, see maybe if one of our southern buddies could even check bikes out for you in their area and turn it into a ROAD TRIP!!!
    Oh and gen 5 is the way to go!
    Cheers & Good Luck

13. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
    Get out of town, any one worth their salt knows the 4th G is the better model, Sheesh.. Hang in there White star, took me 3+ months to find mine and I still had it shipped, they're out there just keep looking. oh BTW that one you saw on craigs list is nice, but a tad to much IMO, you can do better. Take a look around Vancouver BC. I know that's a ways away but it truly has a lot of bikes..

14. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  15. PicVFR

PicVFR New Member

Welcome Whitestar, like the rest of the guys, I'd be patient. If you have been reading alot here, you've probably noticed how long VFR's can last so make sure you're happy with the one you pick. If you have any issues with a cross-border purchase, it'll be very hard to fix them.
    I'd be VERY suspicious of the white wheels, you're right, they should be on a 1990.

Good luck and maybe I'll see you on my way back home (usually do a couple of runs each summer) to where I'm originaly from, Temiscaming. Don't hold it against me.

16. RVFR

RVFR Member

United States
    Map
  17. PorscheBob

PorscheBob New Member

United States
    Map
    As a former Honda sales mgr. I would say you would be better off saving more money to purchase a 5th generation from a private party. Take your time and don't let the VFR lust control you........too much. :eek:

18. whitestar

whitestar New Member

1. I want a VFR because it does all the things you mentioned well, its versatility is what attracts me
    2. I like to think i will keep it for a while, but i tend to upraged every few years
    3. I am willing to spend around 4 g, but that was at a dealer, it was saftied, licenced and fully serviced
    if i buy a bike used for 4 g, i will still have to safty it, licence it etc

19. whitestar

whitestar New Member

Okay i bought one, its the 1991 a few posts up. Going to get her on Wednesday. Ill post some pics once i get it. Thanks again to everyone for the advice and R.W. especially.

I managed to get a good history on it. One thing i wanted to ask about is he told me it has always been run with Dyno oil, with 67000km on it will i be okay switching to Synthetic?

20. VFR Pilot

VFR Pilot New Member

Vfr

Hey whitestar-have you been out riding much?

DD:smile: