Need help w/ starting question ...

Discussion in 'Mechanics Garage' started by mzmiller, Jun 12, 2009.

1. mzmiller

mzmiller New Member

I have an '02 vfr800, and for some reason it stopped running this afternoon.

I pretty much ran the gas tank to empty and went to the station to fill up.

When coming into my drive way after filling up the cycle stopped running. I tried to start again, and it turned over, but didn't start.

I left it alone for a few minutes to and then tried again, and it started, but only ran for a few minutes.

Now I can't get it started.

Any ideas as to why this would occur?

I live in the Des Moines, IA area and would like to do diagnosis myself (with your help), but if needed I will take it to a professional. Who would you recommend?

Thanks,

Mark Miller

2. TOE CUTTER

TOE CUTTER Mullet Man

United States
    Map
    bad gas

I filled my bike a few years back with Shell rust water. Serveral miles before it cacked. May want to check to make sure you pumped gas into it .

3. mzmiller

mzmiller New Member

All ... just an fyi ... the wiring harness for my '02 VFR 800 was defective and is under a recall by Honda. If for some reason your VFR stops, then it could be that issue. As it was a recall it cost me $0 to get my bike fixed!

4. karazy

karazy New Member

Canada
    Map
    Whenever you run a tank dry, you take the chance of picking up some kind of crap that has settled to the bottom of it. You should check the filter and if neccessary all the fuel lines for blockages or water. A shot of gasline anti freeze helps to disipate water buildup from condensation or bad fuel.

Karazy

5. TAGLICIOUS

TAGLICIOUS New Member

that's how I got my '90 for a song

the guy I got the '90 from new someone that was taking his '02 in for the harness changeout.
    The (trade) I did with him will forever be in my memory and on paper.
    that being said, he got the '02 after our little trade, and paid 2,000 for it. The previous owner bought the new '08 on getting the '02 sold... amazing the VFR friendships :thumbsup:

6. airgreesemonkey

airgreesemonkey New Member

Map

not necessarily true on picking stuff up that settles to the bottom, where do you think the petcock gets the fuel from? the bottom... so regardless, if you have crap in the bottom of your tank it is going to end up being sucked into your fuel system