Need help with turbo

Discussion in 'General VFR Discussions' started by pdub06, May 4, 2006.

1. pdub06

pdub06 New Member

Map
    HI. I am new to motorcycles and i bought a 1992 hond vfr750f last week. Then the other day i bought a car turbo that i wish to put on there. If anyone has done this i would like some help with the mods. Thanks

2. navig8r01

navig8r01 New Member

Map
    First off, ARE YOU NUTS!!. Good, glad I got that off my chest. Second, what type and size of turbo is of great importance. There is little room to play with on any motorcycle...especially a V-Four with the collector at the very belly of the engine. Turbos generally work well with inline 4's because of the added space of being in front of the engine and the space to be utilised behind the lower front wheel. So, unless you have a VERY small turbo that will somehow fit under the belly of the beast, or you are very creative with custom exhaust systems(actually both will be necessary here) any thing is possible. You may be able to create something aft of the collector, but then you will have to be able to route the charge back up to the air box some 3 feet away. BEST OF LUCK and hang on tight if you get it to work!!!

3. pdub06

pdub06 New Member

Map
    Ya i have been told by plenty of people that im crazy. Im not sure on the size of the turbo, it came off some sort of mitusbishi. Ill try and find out. Its fairly bulky. I plan on putting it were the muffler is, and just run everything up front. I have to figure out how and run coolant, oil, and vocuum to it. Also, im not sure where the airbox is? how much psi do u think the stock engine can habdle? 5-10psi? i dont even know if it carbureated or fuel injected? do i have to rejet the carbs if it is? then boost control? i dont know much about turbos, i've worked with superchargers on cars but thats it. Thanks for all and any advice!!!!!!!!!! Cant wait to get it on.:smile:

4. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    I think you might want to talk to a motorcycle turbocharging expert before you waste time and energy trying to bolt a car sized turbo on a VFR. Generally bike turbos are smaller as they do not need to flow the kind of CFM a car does and they spool up quicker. The turbo on my old Honda 500 was tiny and spooled over 100,000 rpm with a ceramic impellor. The other problem you will face is compression ratios. Most bikes have very high compression engines, which are not ideal for boosting. You will want to drop the compression ratio down to 9:1 or less. I'm not the expert on this but I suggest you contact someone who does this type of work every day and I think tha you will save a ton of cash by using their expertise. A Turbo VFR would be very cool if it is done right and resulted in a user friendly package. Nitrous would be a lot easier!

I've read a bit about this outfit and they seem to know what they are doing.
    http://www.mrturbo.com/

5. waynej

waynej New Member

Map
    Turbo???

Where are you? S & R Pro Sydney do lots of turbo conversions, 92 vfr should be camchain model, custom head gasket to drop comp ratio. Thro out your 4 carbies, better to have the turbo suck through one big one, then you'll have plenty of room under the tank for a plenum chamber, blow-off valve and other assorted crap. Very small turbo will fit with 2 long and 2 short headers, either in front of engine under radiator, or under gearbox. Whatever you do there will be need to cut holes in the fairing for assoc plumbing. Vernier cam sprockets will also be beneficial for dialing in cams, too much overlap and all that boost goes to waste. Goodluck

6. jethro911

jethro911 Member

United States
    Map
    Actually the 90 thru 2001 models were all cam gear engines. The V-tec engines returned to a chain.