New 2014 VFR800

Discussion in '8th Generation 2014-Present' started by thegreatnobody, Nov 4, 2013.

1. reg71

reg71 Poser Staff Member

United States
    Map
    Right there with you. I am getting new walk-in shower, then BEFORE another motorcycle finds it way to may garage I have received instruction that we WILL get a kitchen remodel.

2. jonmarsh

jonmarsh New Member

Map
    I own a 98 VFR bought new, still have it and ride it now and then; this summer I bought the 1200 an don't regret it at all- quite the opposite. Rather a different category of road GT, yet still very maneuverable for a road bike with a reasonable riding position that can be made a little more reasonable if you like. Though the suspension can be improved, it is better than the 98 out of the box, and everything is very solid feeling at speed. Ride a 1200 and see if it works for you. There are a number of simple tweaks for it that are worthwhile, like Helibars, the exhaust flapper mod, after market seats (Corbin on mind), and in my case, settling on a National Cycle tall screen after trying several solutions. If you're long legged, Knight design foot pegs can make the riding position a bit more comfortable. And good aftermarket levers are worthwhile.

3. xorbe

xorbe New Member

Can someone clear up a tech detail? How fast does the bike go in 1st gear at redline? Around 58 mph / 94 kph right?

4. DriverDave

DriverDave New Member

United States
    Map
    I would just call it 60...that's basically what I've seen on mine. That is also about the same as my previous 6th gen. On either bike, it's way to tall for first gear as it makes stop n go traffic a pain in the clutch. Now you got me started!...why the hell do the gear the transmission on street bikes like this?...1st gear way to tall and 6th gear not tall enough. I just don't get it. I geared my 6th gen down to make it more fun at lower speeds, but that also made 6th gear even worse at high speeds.

OK, rant over.

5. xorbe

xorbe New Member

Thanks!!! Wanted to make sure it's not geared like a SS doing 95 mph in first. I did check youtube vids and gearingcommander website, but wanted to make sure that I came to the right conclusion.

Eh, the LA shop gave me a much better quote than my local shop. I e-mailed the sales rep at my local shop if they could match, and no reply. LA is a looong day trip, and what if I see an issue with the bike, and don't want to buy that particular one.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  6. Malice101

Malice101 New Member

No offense but that Diavel Strada is hideous...to me. It may be a functional wonder but it doesn't even come close to my sport bike aspirations and affinity for full fairing bikes...I have to be drawn to something visually before I would even consider it. My loss of course under certain scenarios...

7. Echo3Niner

Echo3Niner New Member

United States
    Map
    That's OK, to each their own. If you saw mine in the metal, you might change your mind... If you rode it, even more likely. But, it's alright either way.

8. xorbe

xorbe New Member

Another RPM question, at 72 mph what does the tach show in 6th?

9. chief47

chief47 New Member

Map
    I'm not sure exactly, however at 85mph it's still below the Vtec threshold.

10. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    Hi Budorat. Having had the new model for a month now, what are your thoughts? Anything specific to the Australian model to be wary of? Any plans to change the pipe?

I've got a test-ride booked for tomorrow, thinking of trading in my 2007 VFR, which I liked - but not nearly as much as I loved my 1998 Gen-5.

11. Maggot

Maggot New Member

United States
    Map
    Old question, but if you didn't get the answer about 5K with stock gearing!

12. budorat

budorat New Member

I am loving my new bike. Had her 4 weeks today and have done a little over 2400 km so far. It would have been more, but I have a young family, so they need my time too. The bike is great, the pipe will be upgraded when $$ permit. Leading contenders are Akra and Staintune. The only concern I have at the moment is that the bike felt a little different after her first service. Have not been able to pin point what is different, but I suspect it may be the suspension (feels a little harder I think).

I ordered bar risers, but they didn't come in till just before my first service. After having already racked up over 1000 k's on her, I decided against installing the risers as I am happy with the riding position. I also indulged a little and picked up my first ever personalized number plates..... VFR14... I know its totally not required, but I could not help myself.

Let me know how you go on the test ride. Just make sure you get to do some highway speeds, you really do not get to appreciate the bike in the same way just putting around town.

13. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    So on the weekend I got to take A1 Honda (Melbourne, AU)'s demo bike for a squirt. I did about 30km solo, and then another 50km with my girl riding pillion, with a mix of slow, medium, and speed-limit riding.

I must say I enjoyed the new incarnation;- Power delivery was silk-smooth throughout the entire range, though I did miss the 'kick' of the 2007 model's VTEC cutting in. The 2014 VFR is very flickable and nimble, has great brakes although I got nowhere near needing traction control or ABS. Best of all, the linked brakes feature is gone.

Two up, it felt a fraction underpowered, but I'll be perfectly honest and emphasize the word "seemed" - it could just be that it's so smooth and measured that the seeming is actually deceptive. I'd still be inclined put an aftermarket pipe and a PowerCommander in there, just to bring back a sense of "Vawhooomp!" when you want it - but that's mainly an adrenaline/ego thing - even two-up, it still managed spritely overtaking manuevers without straining.

Looks-wise, when I read other reviews that described the bike as narrower or slimmer than previous generations, I was a little aprehensive - one of the things I loved about my Gen 5 and Gen 6 was that they have presence. No skinny-bike feel like I got from the VTR-1000 and others. Whilst the 2014 VFR doesn't have the "muscular, coiled-ready-to-pounce" look of my 2007 Gen 6, it does present a beautifully balanced look in the flesh.. perhaps best described as a modern interpretation of the Gen-5's styling. The Dash is clean and functional, and easily read in bright sunlight (we get alot of that here!).

For the folks who've asked about whether they should skip the 800 and go straight to the VFR-1200, I suggest riding them both and making your own mind up based on the type of riding you do. I found the 1200 to be a joy to ride on the open road, but too heavy for the close-quarters hand-to-hand battle royale that is my daily commute in peak-hour capital city traffic. Plus that extra power seemed to punt me all-too-smoothly up to 110-115kph; more than enough to lose my license where the limit on most main roads is 70 or 80kph, and the main commuter freeway is 100kph. (Victoria is ridiculous nanny-state when it comes to shameless revenue-raising through traffic infringements).

14. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    "a fraction underpowered"

My 2004 is also. I have to work very hard to keep up with by brother on his Tuono and our friend on his Triumph Tiger. I certainly can do it, but switching back and forth on these bikes only emphasizes how anemic the 800 VTEC is.

15. NZCam

NZCam New Member

Australia
    It would be really interesting to compare a Gen 5, 6, & 8 side by side. The more I think about it, the more I'm of the opinion that what the VTEC versions need is the ability to breathe a little more freely. And whilst in 6 years of riding I never bothered with a new pipe on my Gen 6, I'm inclined to get one ASAP for the new model.

Also worth noting - after I rode the 2014 Veefer, I wandered around the other nearby dealerships (Suzi, Yama, Kwaka, Trumpy, Guzzi), seeing if there was anything comparable I should include in my next-bike wishlist. For what we can get our hands on here in Oz, there's nothing else in the VFR-800's weight/power/price class that has the goods.

16. Alaskan

Alaskan Member

United States
    Map
    With a Power Commander and the Leo Vince cans, my dyno tuner was able to wring about 101 HP and 55 pounds of torque out of my 2004. That helped a bit. There are other members here who can speak to increasing the power output of the VTEC. One member is running some fast times at the dragstrip with his. But I think the 800 VTEC pretty much is what it is.

By the way, I like the way we on the VFRWorld forum can discuss the pros and cons of our VFRs without getting all pissy about it. That other VFR forum? Well, not so much . . .

17. Voided76

Voided76 New Member

United States
    Map
    Suzuki gsxs1000f
    Outstanding bike. Theres a 750 as well.

18. Mohawk

Mohawk New Member

The Vtec should be good for over 110whp with a little work, my 5th gen is up to 112whp at the mo on a conservative dyno :)

19. tyarosevich

tyarosevich New Member

United States
    Map
    This is going to sound snarky, but I don't mean it that way. If you can't keep up with a Triumph Tiger, it's probably rider error. A VFR800 can smoke that bike any day, anyhow, any way. Even in straight line acceleration, the Tiger doesn't stand a chance if the VFR is being ridden up in its peak RPM range.

I agree the bike is a little anemic by today's standards, but if you're having trouble keeping up with an adventure bike and using that experience as grounds to criticize the bike, I call BS.

20. CandyRedRC46

CandyRedRC46 Member

United States
    Map
    I'm running a best of 10.82 at 128. I'm hoping to run mid tens at over 130 by the end of winter. Trust me its pretty easy to make these bikes competitive. Last week at the drag strip I beat a vfr1200, gsxr1000, cbr1000 and ninja 636.