New 5th gen Minnesota rider

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by airdog84, Dec 7, 2019.

1. airdog84

airdog84 New Member

United States
    Hey everyone,

I picked up the 98 VFR last year and have been slowly going through it. When I say slowly I mean I rode it 3 times before the blessed back brake locked up on me 90 miles from home.

I’ve done a ton of troubleshooting and part replacements to get the bike back in order and safe to drive, but am still fighting the good fight on a slow disengaging rear brake.

I’m 35 years old and have had 10+ bikes over the years. I recently sold my 99 Kawasaki ZRX and found a great deal on the VFR.... Only sucky thing is the previous owner did not do great maintenance or dive the bike much. Super clean 1998 all stock, and 17k.

Looking to meet some other Minnesota riders who have experience with the linked brakes in hopes I can have some guys over for a coffee and some wisdom/technical help getting the brakes to work safely again. I’m located in the south metro.

So far, I love reading and researching on the forum!

2. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    Hey airdog,
    Welcome to the group. I'm new as well. I'm enjoying the group and learning how to navigate this sight.
    A friend of mine has 2, 5th gens and 2, 6th gens. He's learned a lot about the brakes on the viffers. Just a couple of summers ago he discovered how to successfully bleed the brakes. Ugh! There about seven bleeding points! But since then he really likes the brakes on his 2001, which is great news because he was struggling with a weak rear brake for a long time. If you're interested he is on VFRW,.. I can point you in his direction.
    Cheers
    SteveEh!

3. airdog84

airdog84 New Member

United States
    Hey there,

Does your friend live in MN?

Thanks

4. Steve Eh

Steve Eh New Member

Canada
    Map
    No. He lives in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.