New Bike feels awful! WTF?

Discussion in '5th Generation 1998-2001' started by GaryN, Nov 24, 2020.

1. VFRIRL

VFRIRL New Member

Ireland
    Map
    I rode my bike out of the shed and thought what the hell is wrong? thought there was something major gone wrong, before I discovered the back wheel was nearly flat:)

2. cbx1260cc

cbx1260cc New Member

United States
    Map
    A good idea to ALWAYS check tire pressures before going on a ride. Also chain tension and turn signals working etc. Just a general look over before heading out is always a good idea. Only takes a minute or two but can save your life.
    GLAD to hear you didn't get hurt.

3. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    The race shop comes up on Saturday to get the bike. Great shop in Pasadena, MD called MRP Performance. They did wonders for my FZ 07. I'll get them to make it all right. Will also put on some new shoes. I'm thinking Micheline Road 5's. I like those tires on my other bikes anyway.

However the bike fees when it comes back, at least I'll know it's safe. The rest will then be seat time. Will let you guys know what ends up being done. Probably a bunch. The bike has 56k miles.

Gary

fink likes this.
  4. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    56k miles

at that mileage the wheel bearings should already have been replaced and the steering head bearings maybe twice.

5. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    I get it. Also, cool video. Bike sounds GREAT and lovely countryside. Where are you?

6. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    I'm in the north east of England; and the video clip was taken from one I shot up on Bollihope Moor in Weardale/Teesdale. It is a stunning place to ride, only spoiled by the numbers of sheep found wandering on the road.

7. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    Looks like a cool place to ride in the Mother Country!

Just looked at an RC30R that was up for auction. High bid was $40,000 but didn't meet the reserve. Wow, I didn't realize that bike was so valuable. Another one for my wish list!!

Gary

8. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    They're fantastic to ride - and owning one beats having cash in the bank. (They've trebled in price in the last decade). It's not hard to work out why. Here are just some of the RVF/RC30 competition successes:

[​IMG]

mello dude likes this.
  9. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    Impressive!

Waiting for the race shop to get here. Looking forward to a ride once my bike is right. Getting cold now though. Might have to wait a long awhile.

10. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

the bikes that raced had about $120,000 in special kit parts the "ordinary" RC30's didn't have. ancient technology now as an R-6 or R-1 would blow it away at many thousand$ le$$.

11. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    I get that. But my next car will be a '41 Cadillac. For the money I could buy something way more fun, but there is the cool factor to consider. I could be the lone wolf here though. And then there's a CBX1100. Lots for that one too. Another wish list bike.

By the way, I was at Charlie the Butcher's place near the airport in October. Had to take my brother there since he needs his Buffalo fix whenever he's near by!

12. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    WHAT ?? no anchor bar wings ? :rolleyes:

13. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    There’s an anchor bar down the road. Hard to get a Wardynski’s anywhere else!

14. weevee

weevee New Member

United Kingdom
    Yes, my point was simply that RC30's are changing hands at $40,000+ as a result of their competition successes (..the majority of which couldn't ever be counted, & were very often in production classes). I'm sure there are countless modern-day vehicles that could lap Le Mans quicker than past winners too, but (..like the R6 & R1 Yamahas) they won't ever be sought-after to any extent and won't ever soar to the same value. Check out the prices on old-clunker Jaguars with competition history: https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/jaguar/d-type/2384899.html

..but, interestingly, Helmut Dahne tried on occasion to wring as much from an R1 as he had years earlier from his (non-race) RC30 on the Nurburgring and couldn't do it - despite the evolution of tyre-technology etc. (The RC30 vid. is paused numerous times to allow the R1 to keep up).

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
    GaryN likes this.
  15. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    So, just in case anyone cares, I finally got the bike back from the race shop. And now that the snow is melted I had a chance to ride the bike today. I went crazy upgrading stuff. Did the following main things: new front springs, valving and seals; new steering shaft and bearings. Penske custom rear shock. New Michelin 5's, Chain and sprockets, and a bunch of miscellaneous work. And then set the sag for my weight.

The bike feels great now. A little stiffer for sure, but it handles and lays over really easy. And doesn't get jittery with bumps in the corners. I do think some risers are in order though.

I have however, discovered one thing that I'm not sure is clutch or normal. PS - there are 57,000 miles on this one. Not sure how long a clutch lasts. It doesn't slip though. But the bike is not happy with any kind of low rpm load. It will shudder a bit. Also shudders a bit if you take off in 2nd as well. And I hear a strange squeeky noise that seems to be actuated when the clutch is engaged. Quiet standing still, So, I guess I need more digging around. My new bikes have spoiled me with the slipper clutches for sure. And it is 21 years old. But most everything is now new!

I really dig this bike. Sounds awesome and lots of fun as all of you have told me. With risers, it will be perfect. Hopefully I can fix any other old age stuff since I think this a keeper.

16. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map
    on a vfr you can't expect to take off in second gear without shuddering. stop LUGGING the engine and those problems well disappear. in other words, taking off at too low an rpm shuddering is normal. clutches last a long time unless the rider is abusive or unskilled.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  17. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    Well anything under 3k RPM makes for a little lugging when you twist the throttle. That cannot be normal.

And I’ve just realized how much I miss a gear indicator! That’s how I discovered the unhappy 2nd gear start.

Everything else is new. Might as well check the clutch next.

18. squirrelman

squirrelman Member

United States
    Map

you need to slip the clutch to hold about 4k rpms as you take off.

VFRIRL likes this.
  19. raYzerman

raYzerman Member

Canada
    Map
    Grum likes this.
  20. GaryN

GaryN New Member

United States
    Map
    Taking off in 1st isn’t a problem.

Will check the link out. Thanks.