New Guy, building a Magna Chopper

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Clark Kent, Jul 7, 2009.

1. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

YOU ARE NOT DONE!:crazy: where's the Turbo? you said turbo on a V-Four and you aren't done until Youtube! Get on it!:thumbsup:

2. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

Also, lack of back pressure and exhaust collector, along with wrapped pipes are helping with cooling. I do recommend a complete tear down, carb soaking, and rebuild. It may be running fine now but you don't want to be across town and have it quit on you. The V30 Magna was my first ride and once properly sorted it will amaze you. at the same time, I do recommend popping the Valve covers, adjusting the valve clearances and inspecting the cams. All this will go a long way to keep that hard work from turning into a garage queen. congratulations over all though!

3. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

YOu metioned Megasquirt as your controller for the Turbo set up, just a heads up, they make a new one called "micro-squirt".

4. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Yeah I need to fab a kickstand. Also need to fix a leaky site glass on the front brake.

Turbo and megasquirt will be completed during the winter. Goal was to just get this thing running and moving for the season.

Yeah I've got plenty of room to use megasquirt instead and I want the expandablity. Got to figure out how to control the spark on this motor considering there's two magnetos and two ignitors. Timing will be critical.

I've got two spare motors to tear down and see what I can do. Might be something I do in my spare time.

5. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

how come you had to move the tank forward? i was thinking about using the fuel pump on mine.

6. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

I had to move the rear tank support forward due to the new positioning of the frame.

7. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Thank you MS paint for slapping together a rough profile picture. Not to scale, but you get the picture.

Attached Files:

8. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Yeah, I took it to the gas station last night and it has a problem running at part throttle with the choke closed and opening up. I gave the carbs a half ass choke cleaner spraying before installing since the bike that they came off was idling and reving fine. Was hoping the sea foam I threw in the tank would help things out...

I'm assuming I can get jets for this thing right off the shelf? Might also try throwing some thin washers under the needles. I see no point in buying a jet kit, needle kit for this thing only to throw out the carbs in a couple of months when I go fuel injection.

Also, one of the posts shows the cheapo baffles I crammed into the pipes. Plus I took and crammed the first 3" of the 8" baffle with steel wool. Helped bring down the idle/cruising noise, but once the she gets enough fuel damn thing is loud in the higher rpms. Opened it up once last night, probably won't do that again in a residential neighborhood.

9. goinphaster

goinphaster New Member

The last jetting I did was without a kit, I don't think you will have a problem- but finding a dealer that stocks any washers or jets was a hassle for me.

The cars for older V-4's are the heart of the motors. you could lose a valve, but with sorted carbs you could make it home. a simple tear down of the carbs and leaving them in parts dip for a night or two and then rebuilding with new gaskets will give you great riding. Your problem with heat will probably be cured once you sort the carbs too, sounds like your running rich. also with the rea exhaust set up, don't be surprised you have to run different numbers between front and rear cylinders

10. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Judging by the exhaust I wouldn't think I was running rich, no black smoke, or hint of smoke. I suspect that the carbs are stock jetting considering the exhaust was stock. I've torn down my interceptor carbs (right full of yellow powder...) and found 102's on the rear? and 105's on the front?. From what I can find the magna carbs should have 108's in them front and rear.

Judging by how the wrap is burning in, I would say the rear two cylinders are hotter than the front two. The whole pipe is browning, where the front header to the collector is browning. More likely due to the log manifold I'm using there, but the pipe is significantly shorter than the fronts. I need to pull the plugs and see what they look like, then maybe make a judgement call.

Then again I could be wrong and I'm running rich.

I'll experiment, hopefully nothing goes wrong, but then again I have two spare motors...

11. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

just checked the low speed idle on the carbs, they were only 1 and 3/4 turns out. So I started stepping them out 1/4 turn at a time until I reached about 3 and 1/2 turns out. Runs down the road now without the choke and I only here a bit of spark knock lugging it low in the rpms and loading the motor running up hill. Running mid grade with probably too much sea foam.

Opened it up a bit, bogs and breaks up a little low/mid rpms and then takes right off. I'll tear the carbs down this week when I get some time.

The rigid rides ok around these small streets, no real bumps yet, but I'm making use of that spring seat.

12. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

13. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

what's your rear fender spec?

14. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

just a generic 6" wide rolled fender, I went with 14ga

15. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

how did you do your harness?

here is my progress....

Attached Files:

16. Clark Kent

Clark Kent New Member

Nice work. I placed gussetts on the rear hub support since the swing arm box tubing was rather thin. Then boxed in the ends of it.

I've been running mine around, short trips out and back. Still need to get it running perfect, but it's ok for the time being.

I just relocated the fuse panel to the rear. The remaining connectors are all hidden in my fork bag.

Where did you get your handle bar risers?

17. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

thier stock

18. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

help?? i'm having problem with my rear break. it would lock up on me when i press on it. i have the spring on it. is it because i tilt it too much?

19. desktopdave

desktopdave New Member

United States
    Map
    Subscribed! I joined just to watch this thread. I want to see how you do the intake manifold & whether you go batch fire MFI or TBI. Can you post some closeup pics of the log manifold?

Your carbs likely need a good cleaning, unless the PO removed the thermostat entirely (it's an easy fix for an overheating bike). The cold engine would keep it from running very well. Clean, well-sync'ed carbs are critical on this bike, as are the pilot jet adjustments (seems like you found that out already). I use an old dentist's ultrasonic cleaner with hot water & general purpose household cleaner.

Also keep in mind that the instruments are nearly 30 years old...the sender or cluster might just be wrong. You can pick up various Honda Civic pieces to replace the expensive OEM Honda ones. You might want to post this over on v4hondabbs.com as well - they love Magnas over there. Good source for tips on the bike, like the locked up clutch, weeping gaskets, leaky seals, etc.

I have a similar project underway on an '84 v65 Sabre...MS is built, now I'm thinking about swirl tank, crank trigger & intake. That starter clutch reluctor will be difficult to fab into a trigger wheel. I was going to remove one pickup & use the MS for ignition timing, or alternatively run it as a '2-2' wheel, using both pickups. If only I had your metal-working skills!

20. lethal Yang

lethal Yang New Member

here's my bike. i'm not finish yet still need fenders, new head light and turn singnal. thanks for your help clark kent made my build alot easyer. i wanted to rewire the whole bike would you know any plans or wiring diagrams? thanks

Attached Files: